U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,779,772 times
Reputation: 2821
I was describing to SoSoGuy your typical liberal elitist in a general sense, not specifically about this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM
 
8,743 posts, read 8,475,746 times
Reputation: 4151
It's not about teams...I am not the one that mentioned political anything..you did. There is nothing progressive about pedestrian plazas, parks, trees, or other quality of life issues, and certainly working class people can appreciate all of those things. It's one of the things NYC is famous for CENTRAL PARK....what would this city be without it? Nothing different than the plazas and open space they are adding throughout NYC...for the benefit of local residents.

Because a few businesses complain, and they will always complain, about not making enough money...why the heck should the entire community yield to their profits when they are not guaranteed parking spots and never were. If parking is that critical to their business they can easily pay to provide parking for their customers in a garage or parking lot. It is just another cost of doing business. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM
 
4,368 posts, read 2,656,204 times
Reputation: 1499
I watched the news report:

Jackson Heights Merchants Say Pedestrian Plaza Harms Their Business - NY1.com

It looks like the kinds of businesses affected by it are - shall we say - "not conducive" to the kind of ambience that a pedestrian plaza would bring. It's not even about lack of parking. People go to these establishments because of convenience, not because these are so good that they are worth going out of one's way for.

Maybe the current tenants can re-engineer their businesses to make them more attractive to a pedestrian plaza setting. That way they can even make more money. The business development council can partner with local artists and come up with ideas that can be presented to the merchants. They can study the quasi indoor-outdoor establishments in Siena or Florence for ideas.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 02-03-2012 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,779,772 times
Reputation: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It's not about teams...I am not the one that mentioned political anything..you did. There is nothing progressive about pedestrian plazas, parks, trees, or other quality of life issues, and certainly working class people can appreciate all of those things. It's one of the things NYC is famous for CENTRAL PARK....what would this city be without it? Nothing different than the plazas and open space they are adding throughout NYC...for the benefit of local residents.

Because a few businesses complain, and they will always complain, about not making enough money...why the heck should the entire community yield to their profits when they are not guaranteed parking spots and never were. If parking is that critical to their business they can easily pay to provide parking for their customers in a garage or parking lot. It is just another cost of doing business. The end.


I mentioned the social leanings of the arrogant DOT commissioner. And then you went on this temper tantrum about fox news and conservatives with their guns or some such nonsense. You tend to do that a lot it seems.

And thanks for pointing out how parks work. I really appreciate that. I'm glad we have parks. I utilize them all the time. That's what they're there for. However having the option to lounge around in the middle of the street isn't helping anything. It's hurting businesses, many whom have been there for a long time. Many who most likely have kids to feed. But as long as some people can sit on some plastic chairs out front, I guess it's ok you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
 
288 posts, read 264,099 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I watched the news report:

Jackson Heights Merchants Say Pedestrian Plaza Harms Their Business - NY1.com

It looks like the kinds of businesses affected by it are - shall we say - "not conducive" to the kind of ambience that a pedestrian plaza would bring. It's not even about lack of parking. People go to these establishments because of convenience, not because these are so good that they are worth going out of one's way for.

Maybe the current tenants can re-engineer their businesses to make them more attractive to a pedestrian plaza setting. That way they can even make more money. The business development council can partner with local artists and come up with ideas that can be presented to the merchants. They can study the quasi indoor-outdoor establishments in Siena or Florence for ideas.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The only reason why there is a pedestrian plaza in such an urban setting like Jackson Heights is because bearded transplants from the midwest impose their values on the city and demand that their love for nature and walking be met with pedestrian plazas and bike lanes. They also hate the constitutional right to pursue happiness as they force the city's administration to impose their values on other people, thus robbing them of their right to pursue happiness. If all these bearded transplants, or yupsters as they are now commonly called, would have just stayed home and NOT used their right to pursue happiness, this pedestrian plaza would have never happened. Because as we all know, pure blooded new yorkers would never want a pedestrian plaza anywhere, preferring the gritty environment of el trains and street hookers. So instead of blaming the shop owners who are now depleted of their constitutional right to pursue happiness, blame the real culprits here: bearded yupster transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,779,772 times
Reputation: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I watched the news report:

Jackson Heights Merchants Say Pedestrian Plaza Harms Their Business - NY1.com

It looks like the kinds of businesses affected by it are - shall we say - "not conducive" to the kind of ambience that a pedestrian plaza would bring. It's not even about lack of parking. People go to these establishments because of convenience, not because these are so good that they are worth going out of one's way for.

Maybe the current tenants can re-engineer their businesses to make them more attractive to a pedestrian plaza setting. That way they can even make more money. The business development council can partner with local artists and come up with ideas that can be presented to the merchants. They can study the quasi indoor-outdoor establishments in Siena or Florence for ideas.

Lol a straight up suggestion to make queens like Florence. You gotta love it.

And yeah, I guess the owners will have to "re-engineer" their business that was doing just fine before. You're right. Let's hope they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,779,772 times
Reputation: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The only reason why there is a pedestrian plaza in such an urban setting like Jackson Heights is because bearded transplants from the midwest impose their values on the city and demand that their love for nature and walking be met with pedestrian plazas and bike lanes. They also hate the constitutional right to pursue happiness as they force the city's administration to impose their values on other people, thus robbing them of their right to pursue happiness. If all these bearded transplants, or yupsters as they are now commonly called, would have just stayed home and NOT used their right to pursue happiness, this pedestrian plaza would have never happened. Because as we all know, pure blooded new yorkers would never want a pedestrian plaza anywhere, preferring the gritty environment of el trains and street hookers. So instead of blaming the shop owners who are now depleted of their constitutional right to pursue happiness, blame the real culprits here: bearded yupster transplants.

Aaaaaand we welcome back to the house ladies and gentlemen:

City-Data's own grigou "the fantastic, sarcastic word magician"!!


Where things aren't as they seem.....or are they? Come one, come all to see this riveting blend of wit and humor where your eyes will surely be rolling back into your head at his brilliant mind games! But be on your toes ladies and gentlemen....he may just mind-**** you into oblivion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
 
4,368 posts, read 2,656,204 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Lol a straight up suggestion to make queens like Florence. You gotta love it.

And yeah, I guess the owners will have to "re-engineer" their business that was doing just fine before. You're right. Let's hope they can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The only reason why there is a pedestrian plaza in such an urban setting like Jackson Heights is because bearded transplants from the midwest impose their values on the city and demand that their love for nature and walking be met with pedestrian plazas and bike lanes. They also hate the constitutional right to pursue happiness as they force the city's administration to impose their values on other people, thus robbing them of their right to pursue happiness. If all these bearded transplants, or yupsters as they are now commonly called, would have just stayed home and NOT used their right to pursue happiness, this pedestrian plaza would have never happened. Because as we all know, pure blooded new yorkers would never want a pedestrian plaza anywhere, preferring the gritty environment of el trains and street hookers. So instead of blaming the shop owners who are now depleted of their constitutional right to pursue happiness, blame the real culprits here: bearded yupster transplants.
You guys actually got my drift. Look at the kind of businesses operating now - the kinds you will find in the alleys of Karachi. They uglify the surroundings and now they're up in arms because some people want to make the place look better and improve the flow of traffic. Just as Henna mentioned, they will oppose these improvements because it doesn't fit within their comfort zone. Who cares if they close? They can be replaced by businesses that will make the area look better and become a destination of choice instead of a place people just pass through and litter.

And that comment about real NYers not wanting pedestrian plazas anywhere is stupid and ignorant. There have been pedestrian plazas in NY as far back as the 19th century.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 02-03-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,779,772 times
Reputation: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You guys actually got my drift. Look at the kind of businesses operating now - the kinds you will find in the alleys of Karachi. They uglify the surroundings and now they're up in arms because some people want to make the place look better and improve the flow of traffic. Just as Henna mentioned, they will oppose these improvements because it doesn't fit within their comfort zone. Who cares if they close? They can be replaced by businesses that will make the area look better and become a destination of choice instead of a place people just pass through and litter.

See that's where you come off like a true POS. Maybe they care if they close. Maybe the business has been in the family for a long time now. Long before this mayah from bahston weaseled his way into office for over a decade with his dreams of a plastic city for tourists. Now I agreed with you that they will have to change their business model if they want to continue to succeed with "Little Florence". But when you say things like that, it reads as if your nose is so far up sadik-khan's bearded clam that you can smell her colon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:07 PM
 
4,368 posts, read 2,656,204 times
Reputation: 1499
You are the one acting like a POS. Use your head instead of calling people names. It only goes to show that your arguments hold no water. Businesses come and go, especially in America. That place IS better off as a pedestrian plaza and if those shops don't want to adapt to the better surroundings, others are willing and able to take their place. They won't be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top