U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 11:49 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times

Advertisements

Well well well...

Jackson Heights Merchants Say Pedestrian Plaza Harms Their Business - NY1.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Maybe if they advocated to have DOT do the beautification on a quicker basis, they could get the area looking spectacular --with the street painted or inlaid with colored rubber, large planters and pretty lights --it would attract more people to the stores. The street closures for pedestrians in Manhattan also took quite a while to become beautified.

I can't believe the vendors are saying the loss of one short (tiny) street worth of parking spaces is what is driving their business down.

Total culture clash.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 AM

Or maybe this administration should back off from shoving these projects down the throats of the citizens who actually work and live there and don't want them.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 AM

64,532 posts, read 66,075,955 times
funny, my wife and i went to photograph the shopping area in jackson heights by all those colorful stores. we figured we would photograph ,shop and eat dinner there.

after trying endlessly to get a parking spot we ended up giving up and leaving spending nothing there.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 AM

490 posts, read 606,230 times
Next time take the train. That wonderful pedestrian experience in Jackson Heights is created because people walk and don't need a parking space everytime they'd like to stop somewhere.

Anything that encourages people to drive less while enhancing the streetscape is fine in my book. Look no further than to the rest of the country where the streetscape caters to drivers. Stripmalls, parking lots, and vapid landscaping galore, how lovely.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,550,014 times
Well said Arxis! If you want to drive everywhere and park at your convenience, you are going to pay for it through tolls and garage parking. For everyone else who understands NYC is best traveled by public transport, you will freely enjoy all the plazas, including the one in Jackson Heights.

You can drive everywhere all the time in 99% of the rest of the country...leave the car at home and take the train in NYC. Geez.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:44 AM

Did you two momos miss the part about the businesses being hurt by this crap? Did you miss the part about the owners going so far as to close up shop in protest of these unwanted little playgrounds? Did you notice how there are a whopping 6 people in favor of them compared to everyone else there who wants nothing to do with em?

People aren't going to take the train who don't like taking trains. They'll just drive somewhere else to shop where this administration hasn't made it as hard to park.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Maybe if they advocated to have DOT do the beautification on a quicker basis, they could get the area looking spectacular --with the street painted or inlaid with colored rubber, large planters and pretty lights --it would attract more people to the stores. The street closures for pedestrians in Manhattan also took quite a while to become beautified.

I can't believe the vendors are saying the loss of one short (tiny) street worth of parking spaces is what is driving their business down.

Total culture clash.
Are you kidding me!

Your store, your business is on that "tiny" street!

Beautification? Are you nuts?

These people have to feed their families, pay their mortgages, and educate their children. Why should their livelihood and their Constitutional right to 'pursue happiness' in any way be intefered with?

What right do some bearded white Transplants, seeking cheap rent, have to interject their values and sensibilities in a neighborhood they are not a part of and are not wanted?

I gurantee you that in that HEAVILY immigrant populated area, that none of the immigrants give a D about a pedestrian plaza, except the Transplant interlopers seeking to create a Friends/Seinfeld/Euro nirvana, at the expense of everyone not like themselves. This is the Transplant way!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM

This is the first time I've ever agreed with a jcoltrane rant.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,550,014 times
Unfortunately, sometimes the world is bigger than you or me..one day you will learn that. Maybe we should never have created the BQE or the CBX or Deegan as it forcefully removed thousands of people from their homes and shuttered as many businesses. Or forced Parkchester to abide by the law and not discriminate against race in 1979...surely lots of those residents and the management didn't want that.

Yet we did those things because our society benefits as a whole...and our leadership has to do lots of things which are unpopular to some but benefit our society as a whole. These pedestrian plaza's are an example...you may disagree but it serves our long term interests to reduce the dependency on cars, promote public alternatives, and make the city more pedestrian friendly.

But who cares about everyone, our society, safety, environment, etc..it's all about ME ME ME and nothing else right? Your parents did a knockout job with you available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City