U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,783 posts, read 39,932,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usul View Post
I have no idea what I mean by that, to be quite honest. Silly comment, sorry. I guess I meant every borough besides Staten Island? Bah. :P

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys. Here's the route I've mapped out according to the replies:

F train: Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue to Jay Street - MetroTech

A train: Jay Street - MetroTech to Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue

A train: Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue to Broadway Junction

J/Z train: Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer

E train: Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer to 74th Street - Broadway

7 train: 74th Street - Broadway to Grand Central - 42nd Street

4 train: Grand Central - 42nd Street to Woodlawn

There I would explore Van Cortlandt Park (love, love, LOVE urban parks, but I've never been to this one), and then I would return home.

What do you guys think? Sounds like a plan?
Impressive amount of traveling for $2.25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 PM

30 posts, read 48,541 times
Yeah, I know, isn't it? haha!

I've already done the whole biking around the entirety of Manhattan and most of Brooklyn and some of Queens, but I've always wanted to see the rest of the city by train, since I don't have a car and there are neighborhoods I wouldn't feel particularly safe biking or walking through. Next best thing, I say!

Most importantly, though, I'd like to know if my route is logistically sound. Based off the replies I feel like I'm getting the most amount of elevated platform travel time while still covering a lot of the city. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM

791 posts, read 1,217,350 times
Take the 'D'. Beginning to end. Coney Island, through Manhattan, all the way up to the Bronx at 205th st/Bedford Park.

There is a deli, right there, that serves up KILLER grilled hot dogs, better than Nathan's.

Then, if you like, take the 'D' back down to 161st st. Change for the '4'. Take that to Grand Central, change to the '7', and ride all the way out to Flushing Main Street. Have some really excellent Chinese food - there's a million places there.

There's your 4 borough tour.

Oh, and I also recommend the 'A' to the Rockaways. Headed south, look to the right - that's the East Pond of Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. You might see a Great Blue Heron.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM

294 posts, read 583,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usul View Post
I have no idea what I mean by that, to be quite honest. Silly comment, sorry. I guess I meant every borough besides Staten Island? Bah. :P

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys. Here's the route I've mapped out according to the replies:

F train: Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue to Jay Street - MetroTech

A train: Jay Street - MetroTech to Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue

A train: Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue to Broadway Junction

J/Z train: Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer

E train: Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer to 74th Street - Broadway

7 train: 74th Street - Broadway to Grand Central - 42nd Street

4 train: Grand Central - 42nd Street to Woodlawn

There I would explore Van Cortlandt Park (love, love, LOVE urban parks, but I've never been to this one), and then I would return home.

What do you guys think? Sounds like a plan?
I don't know if you've been to Pelham Bay Park. If you haven't, take the 6 instead to PBP. The 6 is also above ground longer than the 4, too.

Also, since it seems you have ignored SI, you should also try the

D from Coney Island
transfer to the R at Atlantic/Pacific
get off at Whitehall/South Ferry
take the SI ferry (free)
take SI Railway (free transfer)
take all the way to Tottenville

walk around, enjoy the view of a very different looking zone

Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,345,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
I don't know if you've been to Pelham Bay Park. If you haven't, take the 6 instead to PBP. The 6 is also above ground longer than the 4, too.

Also, since it seems you have ignored SI, you should also try the

D from Coney Island
transfer to the R at Atlantic/Pacific
get off at Whitehall/South Ferry
take the SI ferry (free)
take SI Railway (free transfer)
take all the way to Tottenville

walk around, enjoy the view of a very different looking zone
The OP said they didn't want to go to SI because it's too isolated (I guess we're not a "major borough" Just kidding, of course)

But in any case, it's a trade-off. The ferry ride is 25-30 minutes, and you have to time yourself for the boats because they don't run too frequently.

If the OP does do this, this is definitely the part of the trip that should be done during rush hour, because the off-peak frequency is crap (a ferry every 30 minutes) and you have an express train that runs, which saves about 10 minutes off the local trip. I guess the OP could start the trip in the morning, and end up in Van Cortlandt Park.

Then if possible (I don't know if there are trails through Van Cortlandt Park), they could take the (1) back to South Ferry (it gives more elevated views of the western Bronx and Upper Manhattan, and it actually goes elevated at 125th Street) and catch the ferry there.

Here's the SIR schedule: http://mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/sircur.pdf

Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 AM

30,498 posts, read 31,432,793 times
You might also consider taking the Roosevelt Island tram for a great view of Manhattan, Roosevelt Island, part of Queens & Brooklyn.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 AM

62 posts, read 156,453 times
Every line in the Bronx is elevated but the (D). Thou the (D) is elevated in Brooklyn. Good choice to take the (F) as it has a laid-back vibe throughout South Brooklyn. If you'd like to see one of the train yards, look on the left from Neptune Av to Av X.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,740,123 times
The Regional Railway network goes through some great scenery as well , like the Meadowlands , Jersey Shore , Long Island Coast line , Hudson Valley , Rural areas of Western Jersey , posh parts of Connecticut

Nice view starts at 2.00 > Manhattan skyline @ 2.35

Pascack Valley line Train ride under the horn form Wood Ridge to Hackensack River - YouTube

Penn Station bound Long Beach Branch LIRR Train

Penn Station bound Long Beach Branch LIRR Train - YouTube

Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn Bound Far Rockaway Branch Train @ Nostrand Avenue

Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn Bound Far Rockaway Branch Train @ Nostrand Avenue - YouTube

MNRR Harlem line ride

MNRR Harlem line ride - YouTube

M7A Harlem line Ride from Wakefield to Fordham

M7A Harlem line Ride from Wakefield to Fordham - YouTube

M7A Ride from Harlem-125th Street to Park Ave Tunnel

M7A Ride from Harlem-125th Street to Park Ave Tunnel - YouTube

Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,783 posts, read 39,932,116 times
If you're taking commuter rail for scenery, the Hudson Line has by far the best. Don't take (the posted above Harlem Line). The New Haven is good for going through old cities, with a few views of the Long Island Sound but the Hudson Line is in a league of its own, following alongside the river almost the entire ride after leaving Manhattan.

The Port Jervis Line has some nice rural scenery in the second half.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM

30 posts, read 48,541 times
In terms of safety, I shouldn't have anything to worry about taking those lines I outlined, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City