U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 AM

30 posts, read 48,227 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the city for about 20 years now, but there are still lots of areas I haven't been to. Let's say I started from Coney Island in Brooklyn. What route would you take to go through most of the major neighborhoods of each borough by subway? Preferably lines that remain above ground for the majority of the time.

I'm thinking I'd go from Brooklyn to Queens to the Bronx and back down to Manhattan. But I want the most scenic route. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,537,106 times
not sure what you mean by "major" neighborhoods. you get a view from a train that runs above ground, but as is sometimes the case with the outer boros, unless there is a particular attraction in a particular boro (like Citi Field in Queens or Yankee Stadium in The Bronx, Coney Is in Brooklyn, etc) many of the outer boros don't feature that much to see from an above ground train

if you wanted to see the entire Grand Concourse in The Bronx, the D train(which runs on the Concourse) is underground and the neighboring train that does run above ground, the #4 train, blocks your view of the Concourse so you can't see it

if you wanted to see the Italian market dist in The Bronx, there's no elevated train there

you're better off touring the boros in a car

Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,193,791 times
If you want to see South Bronx, then 4 train and 2/5 train.

As for Brooklyn 3 train to New Lots Ave.

But if you want to see more I agree car is the best option especially if someone else drives and you just give directions but on the other hand it's not the same as walking through areas.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,635,062 times
the 7 and N trains give a good elevated view of Queens. If you look carefully, you get a glimpse of the graffiti at 5 Pointz in LI City (might only be on the 7)

Also the F & G a bit west of Park Slope has a tall viaduct with a good view but it's brief. Taking any of the trains that run on the Manhattan Bridge (B/D/N/Q I think) should also be fun.

The (J/M/Z) run elevated from the Williamsburg Bridge into Queens. Took that line from Bed-Stuy to Jamaica a few times, I remember it passes through mostly unappealing looking areas.

A train through the Rockaways is supposed to have a nice view, of Jamaica Bay; different from your typical city view.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
If you want a sightseeing tour, this would be my recommendation...

Starting from Coney Island, take the F train into downtown Brooklyn. Transfer to a Far Rockaway-bound A train--the ride across Jamaica Bay is spectacular). Then, on the way back, transfer at Fulton Street in lower Manhattan for the 4 or 5 trains, both of which are elevated in The Bronx.

Incidentally, I'm also a little surprised at that "major borough" comment. Has someone given you to think that one borough is more "important" than another? (You should try really hard not to say such things out loud, especially in this forum; you're going to offend someone before long!)

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM

147 posts, read 266,943 times
7 will take you through some of the most diverse and interesting cross-sections of Queens you'll ever see.

The N/Q line from Queens Plaza to Astoria Ditmars will give you a short view of Astoria and a glimpse of the Triborough Bridge (or is it called RFK now?)

The J/Z line is also above ground in Queens, although I don't think there's anything interesting to see there...

But if by scenic you mean skyscrapers, then my money (or lack thereof) is on bicycling along the border of Manhattan and the Manhattan-facing borders of Queens/Brooklyn.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:56 PM

10,606 posts, read 20,739,640 times
I was very interested in the view from the J/Z line when I rode it for the first time. It was early after I had moved to NY and the views out the windows were not what I was used to seeing. It is definitely a way to see parts of the city from a vantage point you can't get in a car.

I ride the 7 frequently so it is not as interesting to me anymore, but I think it is probably pretty cool if you've never done it before.

Here is the view from the 7
NYC Subway 7 Train Ride Front Car View - YouTube
and here is the Z
BMT Jamaica Line: On Board R42 Z Train from 104th St to 121st St Plus *Action Bonus* - YouTube

There are plenty of other videos (of most or all lines) if you want to watch a few minutes of each in order to plan your trip.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:03 PM

304 posts, read 516,900 times
Jamaica Bay spoiler

Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
By the way, there's very little that compares to an elevated line making an S-curve. You can experience this on the J line in Cypress Hills, and the 7 in Long Island City.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 PM

30 posts, read 48,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you want a sightseeing tour, this would be my recommendation...

Starting from Coney Island, take the F train into downtown Brooklyn. Transfer to a Far Rockaway-bound A train--the ride across Jamaica Bay is spectacular). Then, on the way back, transfer at Fulton Street in lower Manhattan for the 4 or 5 trains, both of which are elevated in The Bronx.

Incidentally, I'm also a little surprised at that "major borough" comment. Has someone given you to think that one borough is more "important" than another? (You should try really hard not to say such things out loud, especially in this forum; you're going to offend someone before long!)
I have no idea what I mean by that, to be quite honest. Silly comment, sorry. I guess I meant every borough besides Staten Island? Bah. :P

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys. Here's the route I've mapped out according to the replies:

F train: Coney Island - Stillwell Avenue to Jay Street - MetroTech

A train: Jay Street - MetroTech to Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue

A train: Far Rockaway - Mott Avenue to Broadway Junction

J/Z train: Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer

E train: Jamaica Center - Parsons/Archer to 74th Street - Broadway

7 train: 74th Street - Broadway to Grand Central - 42nd Street

4 train: Grand Central - 42nd Street to Woodlawn

There I would explore Van Cortlandt Park (love, love, LOVE urban parks, but I've never been to this one), and then I would return home.

What do you guys think? Sounds like a plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City