U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 AM

11 posts, read 19,908 times

Advertisements

haahaha I like your thinking Ms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,785,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Waiting tables here is not necessarily "shooting low," unless you're talking Red Lobster or something. A few of my friends at nice restaurants (Michelin-starred, and just generally nicer places) make close to six-figures.

The rub is that virtually all restaurants want a lot of NYC experience. It's not easy to get a job as a server here just because that's what you've done in the past. Just keep that in mind.

With thousands of restaurants and bars in the city, no one is going to have a list of who's hiring and who you should send résumés too. Check Craigslist for that sort of thing.
Very true when I moved to NYC 10 years ago I too was looking for a server job. All the ads kept saying "NYC experience". I was like what could be so different about NYC than Baltimore the city I was coming from in terms of dining?

Anyway I ended up getting a job and as best I could tell the difference is that the clientele in NYC is more sophisticated. Other than that I didn't see any real differences.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,785,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
As others have stated, most places are going to require NYC experience. Back in my serving days I came from out of state and ran into that problem quite a bit. This applies especially for the more upscale establishments. Your likelihood is you'll probably find work it just won't be at a very exclusive place. If you are used to working in fine dining that could be a surprise to you. Your best bet is to put out resumes but also physically attend open call sessions. Sometimes if you're likable enough they won't care that you are from elsewhere and will hire you anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Yes, coming from a server in NYC a lot of places want NYC experience...so you can suffer or lie...
I remember one place hired me a busser even though I had several years experience as a server, a college degree and applied for the server position.

Desperate I took the job. I got through training and the first night the manager barked an order to me, I handed her the bin and told her to get it herself and walked out.

I found a proper server job a few days later.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I found a proper server job a few days later.
So its a big city and basically stick it threw in order to find what you are comfortable doing then right?

And if the main difference is sophistication, that's just money in the bag waiting to happen

And as for the NY Food Handlers certificate- can you do it all online or do you have to go somewhere to get a card or something?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,260,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcludwig View Post
So its a big city and basically stick it threw in order to find what you are comfortable doing then right?

And if the main difference is sophistication, that's just money in the bag waiting to happen

And as for the NY Food Handlers certificate- can you do it all online or do you have to go somewhere to get a card or something?
Food Protection Course : Health Academy : NYC DOHMH

Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM

HA! Amazing- good link- thanks!

I am still jaw dropped by the difference in price online vs classroom setting

Do employers require you to have one of these prior to being hired or do they give you time to aqquire one?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,260,345 times
Quote:
HA! Amazing- good link- thanks!

I am still jaw dropped by the difference in price online vs classroom setting

Do employers require you to have one of these prior to being hired or do they give you time to aqquire one?

Not everyone who works at a restaurant always has it, but it is a good license to hold. When the Health Department comes to the restaurant to do an inspection, they will ensure that at least someone who holds the license is present. If no one present has the license, the restaurant is in violation and will received points/fine for it. A prospective employer will be happy to have employees that have this.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,432,165 times
I've worked in NYC for 5 years and I've never gotten one. But agreed, it looks good.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Lookin good can be half the battle some times

Are there any places off the top of your head that you think would be a good start?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,432,165 times
Quote:
Lookin good can be half the battle some times

Are there any places off the top of your head that you think would be a good start?
It is. Go on Craigslist. manhattan food/beverage/hospitality jobs classifieds - craigslist

Look for sports bars/semi-casual (not fine dining or someplace crappy like a diner). Most places want a resume and photo. Some customer service if you have some is great. A professional photo is better. You can also hit the pavement with a copy of your resume and photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City