U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,189,733 times

Advertisements

One x is missing from the screename in previous post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,933,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Yes, coming from a server in NYC a lot of places want NYC experience...so you can suffer or lie...
Lying on a resume is a kind of tradition in some parts, but only when they don't/can't check. Could they not check easily? Do people look in newspapers/magazines to see what places have closed recently? Just askin'. I'm not in the business.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,426,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Lying on a resume is a kind of tradition in some parts, but only when they don't/can't check. Could they not check easily? Do people look in newspapers/magazines to see what places have closed recently? Just askin'. I'm not in the business.
They could check, but often they don't...

Pretty easy to suss this out online because they say will check references.

And honestly, there are so many bars/restaurants in the city, many with the same name even, so no one is fully abreast of every place you will have on your resume.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM

543 posts, read 1,280,691 times
I can answer this all by experience. You are not likely to get hired long distance. Almost every place wants multiple years of NYC service, and they mean it. I waited tables in DC, Virginia, and Seattle before moving here. It actually IS very different. First NYC is like the wild west in some ways, anything goes. There are a lot more service people working in most restaurants (especially Manhattan, compared to other boroughs). What I mean by this is you can have bussers, runners, bartenders, expos, coffee makers...and they're all getting a piece of the pie. A big piece. Also most places in NYC are pooled tips. The house also takes a 2.5% of your credit card tips for the credit card fee. Make your resume look good, with references. Show up to the interview looking sharp and bring a pen for godssake. You don't need a food handler's permit and nobody will care if you have one. The only time this is necessary is for smaller cafes and the job listing will say if it's desired or a requirement.

What I suggest is if you have savings, get out here then start applying. There is PLENTY of work to do *something* if you don't get the right job right away. you can also start and/or just do catering work, big business here. Pays as low as $12/hr but goes up to $20-25+hr starting. If you are young and good looking and have common sense, there are catering jobs looking for model types(you don't have to be perfect, just reasonably sharp and decent looking), you can really make some good cash...and it's fairly easy and brainless work (actually better than waiting tables in some ways because you have very little interaction with the guests). Catering work usually requires a tuxedo, you can get a full one for $100 at OK Uniforms. That place also can give you a packet that lists a ton of the catering companies in Manhattan that they get referrals from. Check craigslist, both jobs and gigs.

Main difference in clientel in NYC is the self righteousness (promoted my bully/maphia like management) at some places. That is not a joke. You will find that the difference in the guest attitude will vary in HUGE ways depending on the location of the restaurant. UWS and UES are pompous pricks who think you should be grateful to breathe their same airspace. Midtown can be tricky, some places good, some not so much. Lower East Side bars can be great (especially if you bartend) and places in the Village, especially West Village, are the best. Times Square is tourist central however you might be able to get a decent job there (Ruby Tuesdays, Red Lobster), and I say good because they are ALWAYS busy year round(not seasonal) and they add gratuity so you won't get screwed.

I don't know what your plans are for housing, but subletting (short and long term) is common and fairly easy here and can be a good way to help you get your go while learning the ropes and trying to get situated. Craigslist is a good place (just be careful, there are scams but if you are smart they are easy to spot) and also check out Stephanie Diamond's listing project (google it).
Hope this helps. I agree with the PP, you sound fun and will probably do good here.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Great post above.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
[quote=sekhmet1974;23004430]...ALWAYS busy year round(not seasonal) and they add gratuity so you won't get screwed.QUOTE]

You can get screwed.

I usually tip 20% or more, but if they have the audacity to add the gratuity then so be it. You'd have to be extraordinary for me to bother adding more.

Also, on occaision, I've simply deducted the added gratuity from the total, if I am pissed off at the service!

Some of these places, when looking for something quick and simple, I no longerlonger frequent, because of the added gratuity policy. Generally, they are low life places with a low clientele anyway, which is why they add the gratuity.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Generally, they are low life places with a low clientele anyway, which is why they add the gratuity.
Um...typically the gratuity is added in places that get high tourist traffic (like midtown Manhattan) where the waitstaff (and everyone that relies on their tip money, bartenders, runners, bussers and sometimes even host staff) would get majorly screwed it wasn't.

May be "galling" to you, but there's a rhyme and reason to everything. I applaud the few restaurants that are actually willing to look out for their servers, because most of them are screwing their workers in just about every way possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City