Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 AM

241 posts, read 589,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And we could get all the poor people out of Queens, Bronx, and Brooklyn to make way for the millions upon millions of gentrifiers with their $200,000 jobs right out of college, sipping their Starbucks glued to their Apple laptops.
KK, while I respect your advice here on the forum, I must ask: Why dis on them? Last I check, $200K is hardly part of the 1%. Also, don't these college kids have student loans to repay which puts them squarely in the 99%? Besides, I thought jobs are hard to come by right out of college, no?

Back to the question at hand:

I really hope that OWS would have died from the winter. But I doubt it.

I used to think protests against child labor are dumb. I used to think protests against sweat shops are dumb. Because I know that these conditions existed because there was no alternatives. It's either that or face starvation or death. It is incredibly sad. But I also understand that without these alternatives that seem so unsavory to us, those people and their family and kids won't have a chance for a better future.

One may then say the system is broken. Yes. Disparity in the world is abhorrent.

But let's not look at that truth now. Let's just worry about I can't afford Starbucks and MacBook. And the media is under-reporting on the fact that many people now cannot afford Starbucks and MacBook.

I kindly ask Occupy to rebrand themselves to represent who they actually represent. Do I agree with some of the ideas from Occupy? Yes. But that doesn't grant them the rights to say they represent me. No. I kindly request that they don't misrepresent themselves as a representative of me, as part of the 99%.

You may say all the grievances are interlinked. Therefore, the Occupy movement is holistic. All the facts are connected. If I agree with some of the ideas, then I fundamentally and perhaps unknowingly also agree to the rest of the ideas. If that's the case, let's be truly holistic about it. And let this one other fact be known: There is a sizable population this is just plain lazy.

Greed and pride are sinful. But so are sloth and envy.

Last edited by yee8p; 02-12-2012 at 01:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
KK, you must be a poor grumpy dude living in your own flith in your rent stabilized apartment. Have you ever seen the TV show Hoarders?

Nah,
I own my place.
I finally got to scrape slimy landlords off the bottom of my shoe for good.

yeep,

My post was pure irony addressed to those who look down on the poor and see NYC only as a place to be gentrified. Addressed to those who actually IMAGINE NYC will ever be reinvented in the image of the Starbucks and bottled water sippers. And of course, I know that $200,000 is not the 1% but rather the 3% but I just grabbed a number to illustrate the silliness of those looking for tenants for the NEW Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens.
The irony was ehnanced by making believe, in this miserable economy where jobs for ANYONE are very hard to come by, that there is a big pile of $200,000 graduates (aspiting of course to the $half million job in 5 years) ready to populate the outer boroughs...and Harlem. BTW, $250,000 put's you in the 1.5% so I can probably assume that the 1% are close to $300K/yr and up.

I guess I have to be careful about using too much irony?

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-13-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City