Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 PM

155 posts, read 445,605 times

Advertisements

I have jury duty in Brooklyn tomorrow. I don't mind doing it, but I don't get paid if I don't work. I'm losing a day of income tomorrow and can't afford anymore. I noticed there's a place on the form they sent asking if you get paid if you don't work. Will that get me out of further service? CAN I get out of further service if I don't have extensive documentation? (I don't; I'm a dog walker and I get paid in cash). Just nervous about losing like a month of income over this...anyone else served in Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 PM

78 posts, read 376,945 times
i dont know if they still do it now, but the last time i served jury duty atleast 5 years ago i got a check from the city for a few bucks (like 40 dollars) for severing jury duty since my job did not had any benefits for skipping work due to jury duty

Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
I served in Kings county court in 2007. Got paid $40 a day and will not be called again for next 8 years. I guess same rule works in all 5 counties in NYC.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Not being paid is NOT a valid exemption from Jury Duty. But telling them that you would never vote to convict a non-violent offender will get you off. Going in full drag might work too.

They will always ask if you can accept the judges view of the LAW and vote only the facts of the case. If you say "NO, a jurist has the right to judge whether the LAW is constitutional or not" you will also be thanked and shown the door.

It helps if you are sincere because a judge can often tell if you are making up excuses.

But it will take you at least a day off to tell the judge your story...not many defenses against jury duty are available on the questionnaire.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
I have jury duty in Brooklyn tomorrow. I don't mind doing it, but I don't get paid if I don't work. I'm losing a day of income tomorrow and can't afford anymore. I noticed there's a place on the form they sent asking if you get paid if you don't work. Will that get me out of further service? CAN I get out of further service if I don't have extensive documentation? (I don't; I'm a dog walker and I get paid in cash). Just nervous about losing like a month of income over this...anyone else served in Brooklyn?
I did and they paid me for it. 40 bucks a day.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
You won't lose a month unless you're selected for a case or if it's a Grand Jury, which is a minimum 2 weeks. If it's Grand Jury, then there's really no way out of that. If it's regular Petite Jury, then just mention the phrase Jury Nullification. Jury Nullification is the Jury's right to acquit a person even if the evidence proves them guilty. So if a person is arrested for stealing from the rich, but you feel stealing from the rich is fine, then you can say he's not guilty. Judges and lawyers hate that and will throw you out if they know you know about that law.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
If it's Grand Jury, then there's really no way out of that.
Yeah, there is: Just say you will never vote to convict a person of a non-violent crime because you couldn't live with that on your conscience. For some of us it may well be the truth.
It works but it may only get you placed on petit instead...but then you do what you want at that level.

Judge had a good sense of humour: she asked whether "my consience could handle 'slips and falls.'"

In NJ, grand jury was EVERY FRIDAY for several months (and they paid $5 a day...not enough for lunch.)

Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Not getting paid will not get you a pass. If you don't get selected for a case you will most likely be excused after three days of service. But, the Brooklyn court is very busy and you actually do have a better chance of being selected rather than not. I was told that on an average most cases run between three and five days. It all depends on what kind of case you catch. A murder trail will definitely go on longer than say a law suit.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
DO they send Jury summonses via certified mail?
The last time I received mine (in Brooklyn) it was via regular mail. I went but then again I was a college student.

"Never received it" if it wasn't sent certified mail seems like a valid excuse until they actually send it certified.
If you want to further protect yourself, file a claim with your Post Office that you've had mail stolen/lost. lol I get other folks' mail pretty regularly (about once a month,although I hand deliver it to them or drop it back off at the PO).

If they don't send it certified, there's no way you can be held responsible for it. In a large city such as NY, I highly doubt they'd send someone to serve you personally.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:32 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
I served in Kings county court in 2007. Got paid $40 a day and will not be called again for next 8 years. I guess same rule works in all 5 counties in NYC.

Each county in NYC is slightly different. In Queens you won't be called for 6 years after serving. Also you get only up to 3 days paid jury duty (of $40 a day if your employer won't pay during the service).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City