U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,558,155 times

Advertisements

I had a bad mouse problem until I gutted out my basement and totally renovated it. The rats had chewed through the building at some point, and mice were getting in and throwing sex parties apparently cuz they were having babies. Once I sealed up the entire basement with concrete of course, the problem ended. The only way to solve the problem is to seal everyhole with steel wool and/or concrete. I used a mixture of concrete, broken glass, and rocks/gravel so that nothing will ever be chewed through again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,257,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I had a bad mouse problem until I gutted out my basement and totally renovated it. The rats had chewed through the building at some point, and mice were getting in and throwing sex parties apparently cuz they were having babies. Once I sealed up the entire basement with concrete of course, the problem ended. The only way to solve the problem is to seal everyhole with steel wool and/or concrete. I used a mixture of concrete, broken glass, and rocks/gravel so that nothing will ever be chewed through again.

LOL...the racoon problem is no better. Who'd a thunk it that these furry woodland creatures would make their way to the city? I live on LI and I have possums walking through my yard. Now THAT's one ugly creature

Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
That was the video from what I saw, though the one I watched had some funny background music playing. Suffice it to say, if there is any real threat of something like that happening to an NYC subway rider, I may be too big a wuss to live in NYC!
What you saw was either staged or a one off because I take the train with millions of others and I have never seen that. I see them on the platform or on the tracks but never, ever seen them on a train. Subway rats and mice are dirty. If you see a relatively clean brown mouse, chances are it's not a subway rat.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:08 PM

2,591 posts, read 3,376,294 times
We live in a house with a rental and had tenants that brought roaches. The problem got so bad and they wouldn't let in the exterminator. After they left we bombed repeatedly and eventually got rid of them all. Luckily it's been almost 5 years without roaches now (knock on wood). We hear mice once in a while but don't see them - we have cats and keep traps in the basement so the mice don't last long. Never had a rat, thank God. I think I'd have a heart attack.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,752,795 times
a couple of years ago i was on the subway minding my business and getting the last vacant seat - on the next stop a huge rat got on pretended she was pregnant so i would give up my seat -imagine that

Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
a couple of years ago i was on the subway minding my business and getting the last vacant seat - on the next stop a huge rat got on pretended she was pregnant so i would give up my seat -imagine that

Oh that just made my day!!!! LOL

Old 02-03-2012, 07:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,409,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsantos13 View Post
If you live in a decent building, rats shouldn't be a problem. Mice on the other hand, get into most apartments be they new, old, clean, etc.

Here are some tips:

1) Keep your place neat. Dont leave food around and clean your dishes ASAP after dirtying them. This includes not leaving crumbs on the ground. Mice love to eat the crumbs underneath dining room tables, or on the ground of whatever area people are eating in an apartment. When they come to my place they head directly for underneath my daughter's high chair. Just as important: Wipe up water that may splash out and onto the sides of your sinks and tubs. Mice will come for water just as often as food. A lot of people dont realize this.

2) Don't have a lot of clutter or crap piled up everywhere. This includes closets. Make sure your closet is neat and that the floor is visible. If they are not nesting in your apartment they will only come in only periodically to look for food and water. Leaving clutter or piles of stuff everywhere affords them a place live, hide, and breed inside your apartment. They travel through the walls of buildings--this is why they are and can get everywhere. If they are coming to your apartment, you want them leaving afterwards. It sucks but its a lesser evil.

3) Find every pipe (steam, water, etc) that is coming into your apartment no matter how small and fill the space around the pipe with steel wool. This will keep them out for a couple months. Once you spot one again, you know they've chewed their way through or have found another entrance. Mice can squeeze through the tiniest of spaces (they have cartiledge instead of bone, or something).

4) Mice are quick and they travel via routes along walls or via pathways that give them cover. Do not pile stuff up in corners and leave the areas along the walls open. They are scared to travel across wide areas with no cover (ie: across the middle of a room).

5)Best deterrent: Buy a cat, or 2.

Its a constant battle, Id rather try to keep them out or not coming frequently as I hate using traps and having to clean up mouse blood or picking up a glue trap with a screaming mouse stuck to it. With the poison they eat in then run back into the wall or behind your stove then croak and it reeks for a month. Much better to use preemptive methods.
In ten years of living in California, I've never done any of the above...and have still never seen a rat or roach inside my residence.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,409,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
lol happens to me ALL THE TIME on SF Muni!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 PM

9,316 posts, read 13,850,349 times
The subway track beds are basically a rat superhighway.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 PM

19,155 posts, read 32,695,448 times
If you want to see some nice rats walk to the western end of the Nostrand Avenue train station on the A. They walk on the platforms there late at night.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City