U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,344 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the Court Plaza high-rise in Kew Gardens, Queens, located at 82-37 Kew Gardens Rd.? (Yes, the really tall one.) The building seems solid (a nice departure from our old creaky floorboards and poor soundproofing). We're leaving our current apartment a few blocks west in Forest Hills due to awful downstairs neighbors and management's unwillingness to handle the problem. I've searched but can't find any online reviews (which might not be a bad thing, since most people don't seem to go online to rave about their apartment--usually only the opposite!) Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM

155 posts, read 349,317 times
I have a feeling you may have a tough time finding reviews (as I tried to seach for some information on the building as well recently).

From the research I have done, it seems to be a either a rent-stabalizied or a former Mitchell-Lama building where the management company, Stellar Management, is completely renovating the vacant apartments only to get astronomical rents (for the area, anyway).

If you look on Streeteasy(search Court Plaza) you will see one of the apartments currently for rent. It seems really nice, but there is no way anyone should pay that much to rent an apartment in Kew Gardens, regardless of the size. $3,000 for a 3 bedroom.

If you search the past rentals on that page, you will see how much they are getting for the apartments. I guess it is good if you are a lawyer who works right across the street at the courthouse.

Since you are from Forest Hills, you are probably familiar with the immediate area (QB, Kew Gardens Rd.) and its relative isolation. IMHO, not worth the $.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,929,239 times
I'm afraid that even if you do find reviews on this apt building, you won't know till you moved there if your neighbors are incosiderate or not.
you can always go ask around, if you feel like doing so.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:49 PM

23 posts, read 71,436 times
I continue to search for a full service building in Kew Gardens.

Is there anyone familiar with the Opal,located 153rd Street in Kew Gardens?

I noticed some negative reviews.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM

23 posts, read 71,436 times
Default Court Plaza

I did have the opportunity to look at an apartment in Court Plaza.

It's a building for subsidized housing.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,716 times
Unhappy Dont do it. Dont walk, RUN away from this building.

Lived here for a year and the entire experience was dreadful. Mice infestation, roaches, and some very sketchy neighbors/tenants (constant weed smell in our hallway). The elevators never work, management is rude and not helpful, and yes, a good portion of the building is still subsidized housing and they are charging outrageous rent for the newly renovated apts. Stay away!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 12,710 times
My experience is good, a nice building!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,407 times
We have been living here in a renovated 1 bedroom for the past 5 months. Honestly, I am excited to come home every night because of how fabulous our apartment is. Our city views are amazing. Due to the double paned windows, it is very quiet here. We never hear anyone or anything. As for the subsidized housing, every building I've ever lived in has had this. Yes, I've seen one or two sketchy people, but that's everywhere you go. Have no complaints about mgmt has of yet. They have always been very helpful and accomodating- best out of any building I've lived in so far. Overall, we love it here. Also love that laundry is on the first floor.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM

536 posts, read 2,091,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apartment Searching View Post
I continue to search for a full service building in Kew Gardens.

Is there anyone familiar with the Opal,located 153rd Street in Kew Gardens?

I noticed some negative reviews.
That's south Flushing aka Kew Gardens Hills, the area is affordable and probably "eh, livable" like much of Queens but it's in two-fare/car territory whereas actual Kew Gardens has a LIRR station and two subway stations.

Don't know much about that particular building, but I nearly lived in a walkup in south Flushing (73rd around 150th), seemed like a pleasant nabe where people keep mostly to themselves, high Orthodox Jewish population, but I chose to live in Richmond Hill for now instead. Don't know if most people would make that same decision lol

Old 12-11-2015, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,449 times
I lived in court plaza in a newly renovated wannabe "luxury" apt for a year. I just recently moved to williamsburg Brooklyn in Nov. I would NOT do this or ANY part of Queens EVER again. Im originally born and raised in Brooklyn and am SO releived to be back. First of all I had no idea there were subsidized apts in this building until it was too late. Crazy RENT (for anywhere in crappy queens) to live amongst the trash in this building. The doorman are useless, rude, and miserable. Dont expect them to ever open the door let alone buzz you in if you forget or dont have you key fob. Theyre all lazy especially the fat gross mouth breathing one that constantly says inapproriate things to EVERY woman that comes into that lobby. They all look like current/former drug addicts/alcaholics. The management is rude, useless, and don't ever take care of anything or have any idea of whats going on. The "live in" super is non existent, dont ever try to reach him by phone or any type of way because its impossible. I dont even think he actually exists. The only helpful person in that building is George. Dont let them try to trick you into thinking you'll get a parking spot in the garage anytime before at least 6 months AFTER you move in. The washing machines/dryers are always broken. Dont ever take the stairs unless you're a weed smoker because they always reek of marijuana. The neighborhood is depressing, filled with broke wannabe "i'm so high class" people that cant afford REAL luxury so they move to queens. Honestly felt like I was trapped in the united nations way too many indian people. Low class people everywhere infesting this building. I couldn't wait to move out of that crappy building & neighborhood and FINALLY get back to civilization. I NOW live in an actual high end neighborhood & luxury condominium building in williamsburg Brooklyn. My honest suggestion: DONT DO IT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City