U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 PM
 
107 posts, read 230,083 times
Reputation: 135

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
Regardless the cop was wrong in the case with that kid whether he had weed or ran he should not have been killed, I know being a cop is hard but there's no justifying killing a kid like that in his own home.
Even if it was wrong it doesn't necessarily mean the officer is criminally culpable of committing murder, that's the point I've been making since the beginning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
The NYPD really needs a makeover way too many issues keep coming up.

The way the NYPD as an organization operates is fundamentally flawed in my opinion.

 
Old 02-04-2012, 11:55 PM
 
107 posts, read 230,083 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Show's the cops busting into the teens home, after he walks in, without a search warrant.

Bronx Cop Shooting -- WPIX (http://www.wpix.com/videobeta/?watchId=51b3d18d-df84-4a14-9698-62d03d04442c - broken link)
Nevermind, the video loads for me now

Last edited by Matt00926; 02-05-2012 at 12:26 AM..
 
Old 02-05-2012, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Bronx
15,028 posts, read 17,615,854 times
Reputation: 7591
Before the mod squad shut this thread down I wanna give my take on the nypd. I think the nypd needs to be reformed from the top down and also do a better job at screening canidates and turning down bad ones and not potential good ones. Have multiple medical exams to determine a fit cadnidate and have multiple psycho exams and panel opinioms to determine a candidates ego instead of one shot you fail and try again next year if any.

Two. Nypd needs money, the state or fed can give grant money or the city can raise taxes for the nypd to hire more community workers to get more involved with youths. From tutoring to speakers on why drugs and guns are dangerous. When I was growing up as a childvin dangerous mott haven the 40th precinct used to do send speakers and tutors to local schools, toy drives and so forth. A slew of things but not any more. The pal or police athletic league, during summer days and evenings kept youths out of trouble while everyone played basketbsll and other street games. Thanks to the economy this type of stuff for youths are limited or gone totally. Now with pal gone local kids either wanna be a blood, or a Trinitario, Mexicans with their cholos and ricans and their kings. If the nypd got more involved in community and helping.youths, that Graham kid would have not been shot and killed or maybe that Ortiz kid would have not shot that long island nypd guy back in the head and could be home raising his daughter and doing the wife. Instead these youths prefer to be with gangbangers and drugs, nypd, the govt aswell as family failed at saving these people.


Three. Ray Kelly needs to step down as a commissioner. From the Shawn bell case, to that rican and Italian cops who raped that white gentry transplant chick, these guys got off too easy. To giving these Steve Jobs ipjone loving Hipsters getting maced in the face causing occupy wall street to now with Bronx cops with ticket fixing, officer gets probation for planting drugs on suspects, to giving a Rodney king style beat down on a Bronx kid to killing a Bronx kid based on suspicion of a gun and last jubilant revelrs in bushwick praising Ortiz on shooting a cop in a gentrifying area? Something is wrong, there is a lot of division and before it gets worse ray Kelly should step down and save his face. Ohh yeah lets not forget about videos on showing rookies about Muslims are the enemy. And also his son, fox news anchor Greg Kelly who raped some chick. Kelly should go.


That's my three cents.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-05-2012 at 12:32 AM..
 
Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 AM
 
107 posts, read 230,083 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I think the nypd needs to be reformed from the top down and also do a better job at screening candidates and turning down bad ones and not potential good ones. Have multiple medical exams to determine a fit candidate and have multiple psycho exams and panel opinions to determine a candidates ego instead of one shot you fail and try again next year if any.
Agreed, the hiring standards are pretty bad, especially if the NYPD wants to be considered as a professional organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Instead these youths prefer to be with gangbangers and drugs, nypd, the govt as well as family failed at saving these people.
You know things are messed up when a parent knows their 16 year old teen kid is on the corner at 3AM or dropped out of high school but don't care enough to do anything about it. Or when people are completely indifferent after killing someone they don't even know. Or when a police officer gets probation for planting drugs on people completely ruining their lives. Or when police officers risk their lives and the lives of others just to arrest someone for drugs.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 01:10 AM
 
669 posts, read 1,043,081 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
Agreed, the hiring standards are pretty bad, especially if the NYPD wants to be considered as a professional organization.



You know things are messed up when a parent knows their 16 year old teen kid is on the corner at 3AM or dropped out of high school but don't care enough to do anything about it
I agree with your whole statement but this right here, most of these single mothers in the ghetto work extremely hard and love their kids most of the time their uneducated and weren't properly raised themselves so they don't really know what it takes to raise a child. Another thing is really hard for a women to control a teenage male on her own.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
 
107 posts, read 230,083 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
I agree with your whole statement but this right here, most of these single mothers in the ghetto work extremely hard and love their kids most of the time their uneducated and weren't properly raised themselves so they don't really know what it takes to raise a child. Another thing is really hard for a women to control a teenage male on her own.
Of course, but none of my examples were meant to classify entire groups or categories of people, just that there are some people like this out there. On a regular basis day and night outside there are people still living at home outside and sometimes inside my building selling drugs, I've never seen anyone publicly say anything to them about their behavior. It's quite possible there really isn't anything a parent can do aside from calling the cops, something pretty much no one would do including myself.

I remember from my studies that the research at the time consistently showed the #1 predictor of criminal behavior is being raised in a single headed household with no father figure. I think it makes sense, at least for me; my mom was tough but it was my dad who put the fear of God in me and I both respected and feared him so much that I didn't dare do half of the dumb stuff I wanted to do, and when I did I felt very ashamed/guilty. Not to mention all the positive reinforcement that I got from the good things I did.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,383 posts, read 12,536,334 times
Reputation: 15546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
Of course, but none of my examples were meant to classify entire groups or categories of people, just that there are some people like this out there. On a regular basis day and night outside there are people still living at home outside and sometimes inside my building selling drugs, I've never seen anyone publicly say anything to them about their behavior. It's quite possible there really isn't anything a parent can do aside from calling the cops, something pretty much no one would do including myself.

I remember from my studies that the research at the time consistently showed the #1 predictor of criminal behavior is being raised in a single headed household with no father figure. I think it makes sense, at least for me; my mom was tough but it was my dad who put the fear of God in me and I both respected and feared him so much that I didn't dare do half of the dumb stuff I wanted to do, and when I did I felt very ashamed/guilty. Not to mention all the positive reinforcement that I got from the good things I did.



This statement is very true. A child should have both parents to raise him/her if they are still living. With young men, A father figure is vital to share his experiences and teach his son right from wrong, And responsibility. The amount of single mothers I see, Of ALL races due to a father that does not give a s**t is staggering. The mother has to work twice as hard both financially and emotionally. This subject gets me fired up because i was raised missing BOTH parents, And would give anything to travel back in time and have at least ONE game of catch with my dad, Who died in 1980. And I am 36 now. Matt, This is 100% true. Kudos.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
 
Location: NY
186 posts, read 338,924 times
Reputation: 188
I heard lots of people throwing around the word "mistake", or phrases like "unfortunate tragedy"... In some cases this may be true, but the fact remains that we almost never hear of these sort of mistakes happening to anyone other than Black and Latino males for the most part. Cops are not usually making the mistake of shooting, or beating, or sodomizing White males. It can be argued that White males are not being found in the same suspicious situations as suspects of color, and that may be true. However, we can assume that White male suspects who do come in contact with police very rarely have endings like this. It is my belief that the value of a Black or Latino mans life is not is equal to a White mans life in the eye of our police, or society for that matter. I also believe there is a obviously a heightened sense of fear as it relates to to Black and Latino males. So, the police always believe the a suspect of color is carrying a weapon or is somehow more dangerous. This is probably not the case when considering White suspects.

If cops encounter a White suspect, first of all, they are encountering someone they may consciously or subconsciously see value in, someone who visually is like them. That in itself may keep a person from shooting and killing someone. Now think about how males of color are generally looked at. They are often characterized as overly aggressive, and dangerous, and sometimes monsters and thugs. Then add that ascetically speaking, just being dark, is intimidating to many. With all that being said, it is possible that these White cops are quicker to shoot a Black/Hispanic suspects.

As many people said, this is an issue that must be dealt with at the hiring process, and training. Many of White police officers are coming from communities and environments that are homogeneous, and they grow up with the same beliefs as our larger society as it relates for men of color. Obviously these beliefs aren't just coming from out of no where, because Black males do commit a majority of certain crimes. However, it must be taught and stressed to police officers and people in general, we cannot judge an entire group based on the crimes of some. Its no longer an issue of stereotyping, its increasingly becoming a matter of life or death.


I must quickly acknowledge that some incidents involve cops of color, however, it is not uncommon for people to take on views about their own group, due to a certain level of ingrained self hate, and a need to distance ones self from the "undesirable" group.
 
Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
 
107 posts, read 230,083 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
[/b]

This statement is very true. A child should have both parents to raise him/her if they are still living. With young men, A father figure is vital to share his experiences and teach his son right from wrong, And responsibility. The amount of single mothers I see, Of ALL races due to a father that does not give a s**t is staggering. The mother has to work twice as hard both financially and emotionally. This subject gets me fired up because i was raised missing BOTH parents, And would give anything to travel back in time and have at least ONE game of catch with my dad, Who died in 1980. And I am 36 now. Matt, This is 100% true. Kudos.
I would also like to add that police aren't the reason kids are outside on a corner at 3AM, the reason people sell drugs, or the reason there's so much intra-racial violence, etc. The way police sometimes try to control those situations can be messed up, but they didn't create those situations and those situations are the root causes of crime that need to be dealt with and it takes society as a whole to do so.

Last edited by Matt00926; 02-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: edited for clarity
 
Old 02-05-2012, 02:22 PM
 
791 posts, read 1,218,559 times
Reputation: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The OP does not like cops, Period.

Who you going to call if you are in trouble then? Batman?

I respect and admire cops. There are ones who abuse their power, But it is not the majority. To say all cops commit crimes and cover them up is bizarre to say the least.
Did you read what I said? Apparently, not. Go read it again.

I think they are recruiting a lot of green kids, turning them loose on the street, then leaning on them to meet some stupid quota for tickets/stop and frisk reports/etc, with the idea that this somehow reduces crime.

It does not. It teaches a lot of young men that the law, and those who enforce it, are not worthy of respect...with predictable results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top