U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,271,603 times
Reputation: 9177

Advertisements

[quote=WildCardSteve;22838572]Item:

"18 year old is fatally shot by an officer after a chase"

NYT, 2/3/12

Apparently, these...um, law officers, chased this kid into his house. Yes, they shot him to death in his house. Gun? Apparently, he didn't have one.

I am totally against how this all happened but you're not including that the kid was making a drug deal and when they followed him into his house, he was in the bathroom flushing the drugs down the toilet. These were plainclothes cops but the kid knew they were cops otherwise he wouldn't be running away and flushing his stash down the toilet. I absolutely agree that the cops were out of line but let's not make this sound like the kid was an angel either. At 18 he already had 8 arrests. I don't think this was a "bad" cop and yes, there's plenty out there. I think this is a cop that had no idea what to do and got nervous. No excuse at all and he should have to face his punishment accordingly.

 
Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Harlem, NYC
313 posts, read 465,748 times
Reputation: 81
[quote=bellakin123;22870324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Item:
I am totally against how this all happened but you're not including that the kid was making a drug deal and when they followed him into his house, he was in the bathroom flushing the drugs down the toilet. These were plain clothes cops but the kid knew they were cops otherwise he wouldn't be running away and flushing his stash down the toilet. I absolutely agree that the cops were out of line but let's not make this sound like the kid was an angel either. At 18 he already had 8 arrests. I don't think this was a "bad" cop and yes, there's plenty out there. I think this is a cop that had no idea what to do and got nervous. No excuse at all and he should have to face his punishment accordingly.
whether he was an angel or not, he didn't deserve to die at the hands of some trigger happy police who have no regard for human life!
you say you think the cop "had no idea what to do and got nervous"?
so that condones him taking someone else's life who obviously posed no danger to him? (he was in a bathroom, as you say, flushing drugs down the toilet which meant that he was using both of his hands and the idiot cops clearly saw that) what was he going to do? wash him death with a bar of soap?! 1.) if he had no idea what to do, he should change his profession and 2.) you get nervous and drop your cup of coffee, you get nervous and start sweating, you do NOT get nervous and kill someone! once again if he's so damn nervous, he should not be a police officer if he can't handle the stress of the job. killing someone should NEVER be a cops first choice in disciplining someone who breaks the law. You can just as easily shoot someone in the arm or the leg in an attempt to disable them. Shooting someone in the chest, where their vital organs are located, is attempted murder and it's a shame that cops get away with it every day.
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
 
400 posts, read 833,429 times
Reputation: 246
[quote=NiniCakes;22871352][quote=bellakin123;22870324]

Quote:
once again if he's so damn nervous, he should not be a police officer
Indeed. New York City is always looking for new barristas.

Quote:
killing someone should NEVER be a cops first choice in disciplining someone who breaks the law.
Cops are not supposed to discipline anyone. There are merely enforcers of the law and are there to apprehend (alleged) violators of laws. The judge in conjunction with the Correctional system is there to discipline people.

Quote:
You can just as easily shoot someone in the arm or the leg in an attempt to disable them. Shooting someone in the chest, where their vital organs are located, is attempted murder and it's a shame that cops get away with it every day.

I believe if cops do shoot, they are taught to shoot at center mass and not some sharpshooter disabling arm shot.
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,271,603 times
Reputation: 9177
[quote=NiniCakes;22871352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post

whether he was an angel or not, he didn't deserve to die at the hands of some trigger happy police who have no regard for human life!
you say you think the cop "had no idea what to do and got nervous"?
so that condones him taking someone else's life who obviously posed no danger to him? (he was in a bathroom, as you say, flushing drugs down the toilet which meant that he was using both of his hands and the idiot cops clearly saw that) what was he going to do? wash him death with a bar of soap?! 1.) if he had no idea what to do, he should change his profession and 2.) you get nervous and drop your cup of coffee, you get nervous and start sweating, you do NOT get nervous and kill someone! once again if he's so damn nervous, he should not be a police officer if he can't handle the stress of the job. killing someone should NEVER be a cops first choice in disciplining someone who breaks the law. You can just as easily shoot someone in the arm or the leg in an attempt to disable them. Shooting someone in the chest, where their vital organs are located, is attempted murder and it's a shame that cops get away with it every day.
I agree 100% that he didn't deserve to die like that. The point I'm making is that when sh*t like this happens, a lot of people want to glorify the victim as a "good kid". We all know there's good cops and bad cops. If the cop shot the gun as a reaction then absolutely, he has no business being a cop. I'm not condoning what he did but if someone is going to post something, they should post other information, not just that a cop was trigger happy.
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Harlem, NYC
313 posts, read 465,748 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post


Indeed. New York City is always looking for new barristas.

hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Cops are not supposed to discipline anyone. There are merely enforcers of the law and are there to apprehend (alleged) violators of laws. The judge in conjunction with the Correctional system is there to discipline people.
touche! but my point is enforcing the law should not include using murder as a necessary device in the process of apprehension when there is no potential threat to the officer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
I believe if cops do shoot, they are taught to shoot at center mass and not some sharpshooter disabling arm shot.
I believe that the idiot who teaches them to shoot at center mass should consult a sharpshooter (they have some in their SWAT units), because if cops were taught to shoot to disable and not to kill ,then maybe the NYPD could reduce the number of "accidental" deaths they rake in year to year. Do they even use tasers anymore? another efficient alternative to a bullet in cases such as the one of the teen cornered in his bathroom.
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Harlem, NYC
313 posts, read 465,748 times
Reputation: 81
[quote=bellakin123;22871920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post

I agree 100% that he didn't deserve to die like that. The point I'm making is that when sh*t like this happens, a lot of people want to glorify the victim as a "good kid". We all know there's good cops and bad cops. If the cop shot the gun as a reaction then absolutely, he has no business being a cop. I'm not condoning what he did but if someone is going to post something, they should post other information, not just that a cop was trigger happy.
well posting that you didn't feel that the cop was a "bad" cop sounds like you're condoning his behavior. I agree, the kid was in the wrong and should have had to pay the price for the crime he committed, but losing his life was too high of a price. what other information exactly should someone post? this is a free board, where people are free to post their opinions (which is what i did) and there's no need to post anything else, now is there?
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,271,603 times
Reputation: 9177
[quote=NiniCakes;22872017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post

well posting that you didn't feel that the cop was a "bad" cop sounds like you're condoning his behavior. I agree, the kid was in the wrong and should have had to pay the price for the crime he committed, but losing his life was too high of a price. what other information exactly should someone post? this is a free board, where people are free to post their opinions (which is what i did) and there's no need to post anything else, now is there?
The problem is that no one was there. If he in fact "froze" because he never experienced this before and he pulled the trigger, does that make him "bad"? Probably not. Just means he's not mentally equipped. When I said if someone was going to post something they should post everything...the OP posted a link that didn't talk about the drug deal and the 8 arrests or didn't speak to that. IMO, when only part of a story is posted then that gives fuel to others to post against the NYPD. That's what I'm talking about. If I tell you or post a link saying woman was wrongfully accused of child neglect/abuse and how the social services targets certain people, that would be me trying to pursuade others to agree with me when in actuality, I neglected to include that the mother dumped both her kids on a street corner and her mother, the grandmother of these 2 little kids, actually had the nerve to defend her daughter. See what I'm getting at?
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:47 PM
 
400 posts, read 833,429 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
I believe that the idiot who teaches them to shoot at center mass should consult a sharpshooter (they have some in their SWAT units), because if cops were taught to shoot to disable and not to kill ,then maybe the NYPD could reduce the number of "accidental" deaths they rake in year to year. Do they even use tasers anymore? another efficient alternative to a bullet in cases such as the one of the teen cornered in his bathroom.

I think cops are only supposed to shoot in life threatening situations. Thats why they shoot to kill.

But in less threatening situations they have things like tazers, pepper spray, batons and all that batman type of stuff.

All a cop has to say is he "THINKS" he say a gun and they can blow you away just on those terms. Time and time again people have been shot to death, NO GUN WAS found and the cops still are/were acquitted of murder or manslaughter or even criminally negligent homicide.
 
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Stop Being Nosy
448 posts, read 585,193 times
Reputation: 565
So we're all going to continue to overlook the fact(and video) that the boy was WALKING and not running?
 
Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 PM
 
2,503 posts, read 3,524,969 times
Reputation: 1906
If there's ever a silver lining about this incident, its that there is 1 less drug dealer/thug to worry about in the streets. Cause we all know this dude was no angel. He thought he was gangsta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top