Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
You realize I am referring to a specific quote right?

But that aside, if Irish people aren't white in your eyes, then who is?

I really don't know If Irish is considered white. When the Irish came to The United States they were beat up and had to deal with discrimination like other non-whites..

Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
I really don't know If Irish is considered white. When the Irish came to The United States they were beat up and had to deal with discrimination like other non-whites..

This is absolutely true. I understand that. As did the italians and many other different people. But we're talking about how dark or light someone's skin tone when we speak of white people these days. You don't get any whiter than the irish. White people in America aren't only people of English or freakin Swedish descent. Let's be real here.

John McCain is not a white guy right lol?

Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 AM

400 posts, read 983,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
This is absolutely true. I understand that. As did the italians and many other different people. But we're talking about how dark or light someone's skin tone when we speak of white people these days. You don't get any whiter than the irish. White people in America aren't only people of English or freakin Swedish descent. Let's be real here.

John McCain is not a white guy right lol?
White in America is different from anywhere else. There are DEFINITELY degrees of white.

For example, someone from Iraq, according to the United States Census is considered, people from North Africa, Morocco, Algeria etc are considered white. Are they the same "white" as someone from Ireland? I dont think so.

In saying that, someone from Ireland/Italy/Greece are not the same white as Anglo American white. Anglo American white is the apex of white in America, followed by Nordic/Scandinavian (Norway, Sweden, Finland etc...)
Then the French and Germans are next.

Take Andrew Cuomo for instance, he is Italian/white. His "white" is NOT the same as George Washington white or Thomas Jefferson white. In fact, Andrew Cuomo looks like a light skinned African if you ask me.

If you take your typical Italian guy, you're typical Irish guy and typical English guy (all American ones) no one will ever doubt the English Americans "whiteness", I cant say the same for the others.

"White" people havent lived in New York City in significant numbers since the late 19th century. Irish and Italian people werent even considered white until the 1960s census.

This one is good. (http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/Stereotype:_White_Anglo_Saxon_Protestants_are_hono rable - broken link)

Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 AM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I hate to agree with this tool, but he's right.

When I was in the Army, I learned a lesson about how the "real" white people view Italians in this country. I was shocked to meet people who actually looked down on me for my heritage. I can't say the same for the Irish because I am not, but it definitely applied to me and being Italian.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 AM

I am speaking of Irish and not Italian, so I can see the argument there. But let me clarify, I'm talking about an Irish-American, not a donkey off the boat. If you're gonna sit there and tell me that Tyrone from Brownsville doesn't look at Ed O'Hara from Woodlawn or a guy like McCain and say to himself, "nah man, that's not really a white guy..", then you're living on a different f'n planet. I'm not talking about the intricacies of every ethnicity and how they may or may not have been viewed in the past or even compared with other white skinned people today. I'm talking about the real world. And to be honest, Tyrone from Brownsville would most likely put an Italian from south shore on the same level as any other "white" person.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM

400 posts, read 983,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I hate to agree with this tool, but he's right.

When I was in the Army.
You join the Army/American military.... and Im the tool. You've got to be sh|tting me. Italian rationale at its best (which isnt much).

Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 AM

What nationality/ethnicity are you Flushing? Being that you are such a judgmental, opinionated little pole-smoker I imagine you're proud of who you are and have no problem saying it.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
lol, can't you just picture some loser who hates everybody sitting at his computer all day long?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM

That's pretty much exactly what I picture actually.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:27 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
He doesn't make sense on DH half the time either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City