U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,726,564 times

Advertisements

Try these websites for more info about your rights.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: New York - HUD

Division of Consumer Protection

NYC Rent Guidelines Board

New York Landlord-Tenant Law - MegaLaw.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,194,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH1018 View Post
It's probably barely 80 square feet, no kitchen, no window (I have a skylight that doesn't open), no second exit, and I don't even have a real apartment number/address, I have my mail delivered to the office below.
I think I drive past your place everday, does it say "Manhattan Mini Storage" on the side?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:38 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH1018 View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of posts about illegal apartments in NYC but I'm so overwhelmed with my situation. I moved to New York a few months ago and rented a very tiny apartment (even tiny by Manhattan standards) because it was inexpensive, in a great area, and I didn't have to worry about finding a roommate over the internet. It's probably barely 80 square feet, no kitchen, no window (I have a skylight that doesn't open), no second exit, and I don't even have a real apartment number/address, I have my mail delivered to the office below. From what I've researched these are all indications of an illegal apartment.
I read this post over a couple of times, and finally concluded that I can't give you any sympathy--because you don't deserve any...

Apparently, you didn't rent the place sight unseen. But what is basically a hole in a wall didn't bother you much because it's in a "great area." Then you researched the situation and found problems, eh?

The bottom line is, you did that to yourself. So now you get to deal with the consequences. Next time, don't give quite so much weight to a neighborhood's reputation.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I read this post over a couple of times, and finally concluded that I can't give you any sympathy--because you don't deserve any...

Apparently, you didn't rent the place sight unseen. But what is basically a hole in a wall didn't bother you much because it's in a "great area." Then you researched the situation and found problems, eh?

The bottom line is, you did that to yourself. So now you get to deal with the consequences. Next time, don't give quite so much weight to a neighborhood's reputation.

Same here, I agree with Fred.

Whether the apartment is legal or not, really doesn't matter.
I would just save myself the aggravation and just move as soon as I found another place.

Forget all this legal crapolla, just go, you not getting any money for this, your not entitled to it.

It does not sound like a legal place of dwelling in the first place.

I can't believe that there are really people in this world that are stupid, and then after living in the apartment or whatever, wonder if it is "legal" or not.

people need to do their homework.

so no sympathy here either

Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRodNYC View Post
I told my landlord he cannot collect anymore rent from me because the apartment is illegal and that I would not leave the apartment until a judge ordered me out.

If you reside in an illegal apartment in NYC, and it is a multiple dwelling (meaning 3 or more units are rented) you do NOT have to pay rent. And that is the LAW.
This I don't get. You can't rent an illegal apartment but it's OK to live in it for free?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM

15,228 posts, read 23,749,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
This I don't get. You can't rent an illegal apartment but it's OK to live in it for free?

LOl, and wants money back as well. can u imagine

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,580,367 times
Tell the landlord you are looking to get out as it is an illegal apt, and you want to break the lease and not bring legal matters into it, and just leave.

Otherwise, I have no pity for you. Trying to save a buck by taking a shortcut, and it's biting you in the ass. How long did it take you to realize that your 80sf didn't have a kitchen, windows, or anything? A couple of days?

Follow through with some of the posters said about reporting it if you want to embarrass yourself.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
Makoss, I could not agree with you more. MROdNYC is looking for a reason to live free. There is nothing wrong with the apt, he lived there just fine, but he found a way to manipulate the system, and live rent free. Don't kid yourself...this type of tenant will always find a way/reason/excuse to rip someone off.

The tenant will save some money in rent, but will have lots of legal headaches, and nevermind the fact that he is creating a huge problem with the LL = more stress. And don't forget, you may get away from paying rent for a few months, but LLs will put it on your credit and be sure to get the housing court judgement for eviction....and those will follow you for years and years and years....it's the gift that keeps on giving!

What goes around comes around, and no doubt MROdNYC will get his..probably sooner than he thinks. Everyone pulls credit and housing court judgements!

Regarding this specific poster, you should leave ASAP, it is a death trap. Nothing else to say besides that.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Hey, you can live in a luxury building and not pay any rent at all. Check out 1040 East New York Avenue. Yeah, it's in the depths of East Flatbush...but it was recently renovated into luxury apartments. The city went and bought them up (at a couple of hundred thousand apiece) and is now using the building to house homeless people. Rent-free.

Just declare yourself homeless, and you can live in a beautiful apartment at no additional expense to yourself. (I'm not sure how anyone still qualifies as homeless once they move in, because then they've got a place to live, but why worry about silly technicalities?)

Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM

15 posts, read 26,432 times
Default UPDATE re: my illegal apartment and holdover proceeding

I stopped paying rent when I found out my apartment was illegal in late December 2011. My case went to court today for the first time on March 7th 2012, regarding my holdover in an illegal apartment, for which my lease had expired Feb 15 2012. The case has been adjourned until March 29th, to give my lawyer time to prepare a defense

So far, I have lived rent free for two months. It would've been three but my original lease demanded first and last months rent up front, so the month of January was already paid. I did not pay rent in December or February.

I will write another post on march 29th to keep everyone interested updated.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City