U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
 
15 posts, read 26,432 times
Reputation: 32

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What goes around comes around...you will learn very quickly. You will rape the system, and in the process give yourself alot of headaches, and you will no doubt get some money. In the end, if I were the LL, I would put it on your credit and let you spend the time/money to get it cleared. I would also keep the litigation going to drain all money you received from me..I would sue you for harassment and assault charges..among other things. In addition, since I would have your social security number, I would determine your next place of residence (once you have moved in) and detail the entire situation to your new landlord, just to make sure everyone knows the type of tenant you are.

Since you want to abuse the system, I can too. And I have way more money than someone renting a basement apt...so let's see how long you can stand it. I bet I can do it longer!
First and foremost as Likeminas has told you....NOTHING can go on my credit report as I am not at fault and NO judgment will be rendered against ME. You are obviously not too well versed in tenant/landlord law. Perhaps it would behoove yout o keep your ridiculously uninformed opinions to yourself.

My landlord CAN'T sue me for harassment or assault. AS I have done nothing to merit such a case. DUH. The cops and courts would laugh in his/your face. Clearly you are DELUSIONAL.

Furthermore, this is NYC...not IOWA. I can sublet an apartment without EVER having to provide my social security number to a landlord.

YOU look like absolutely ridiculous trying to act as if anything you say is in the least bit relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
 
15 posts, read 26,432 times
Reputation: 32
To BXLEFTY23

No dear, the ONLY POS in this situation is my greedy landlord.

He rented me an ILLEGAL apartment. Which is FRAUD.

I paid my rent on time for a a year and half before my basement flooded. He pretended he didn't know that the room was prone to flooding. Which is deliberate FRAUD.

And the he FAILED to remedy the situation in a timely manner. Therefore, He FAILED to provide me with a livable apartment and as such was in breach of warrant of habitability.

He then harassed me for months, attempting to enter my apartment illegally, and threatening me, while filing a frivilous suit.

Basically he is trash who thinks he can do whatever he likes ... unfortunately for him he picked the wrong tenant this time.

Now, he's getting exactly what he deserves.

Clearly you are a landlord ...
And as such your opinion is about as relevant as what comes out of someones back end... Comprende?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 AM
 
15 posts, read 26,432 times
Reputation: 32
Default Final outcome of litigation regarding my illegal basement apartment.

The landlord has settled with me for a sum of $10,000 outright and I have until September 24th to move out of my apartment without paying a dime of rent until then or owing any illegal back rent.

I will receive a bonus of a few extra thousand for every month prior to September that I move out.

He will ALSO be providing a reference letter for my NEXT landlord.

I don't plan to leave the apartment earlier than September (unless I find the perfect LEGAL apartment prior to that)

I will have lived from January to September having not paid any rent to him. That's 8 months rent free at $1850 a month and $10000, for a total of $24800. Which is a good majority of the rent I paid to him for almost 2 years before realizing my apartment was illegal.

I'm satisfied with the outcome.

My landlord, and greedy landlords everywhere ..can SUCK it.

AS for Sobro guy.... OBVIOUSLY you have NO idea about NEW YORK CITY landlord tenant law and how UNKINDLY judges look upon slum/sleaze bag landlords.

You can be SURE I will be informing anyone and everyone of my positive settlement to keep as many people informed about their rights as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,555,711 times
Reputation: 4168
Congrats on raping the landlord and the system..yet another tenant abusing the system. You are bragging about living free for almost 2 years off the back of someone else....and I'm the joke?

Don't worry...Karma is a B&@$%

Take note landlords: Make sure to check bank statements that show rent payments being made. If there are not rent payments being made it means they are screwing someone else. Their credit report will show their last place of residence. Never go by a prior Landlord's referral/recommendation, because they could be just trying to get rid of their lousy tenant (see MRODNYC's comments above). And never take a tenant over 30 who is "first time renting"..which means they have no evidence of rent payment on their bank statements = could be screwing a landlord.

Protect yourself, get pay stubs, bank statements, credit checks, etc, and get a good feel for the tenant. Because at the end of the day, NYC is not on your side and the only leverage you have is the very beginning when choosing a tenant.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 05-24-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Protect yourself, get pay stubs, bank statements, credit checks, etc, and get a good feel for the tenant. Because at the end of the day, NYC is not on your side and the only leverage you have is the very beginning when choosing a tenant.
I guess even landlords need a champion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,490 posts, read 3,815,577 times
Reputation: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Congrats on raping the landlord and the system..yet another tenant abusing the system. You are bragging about living free for almost 2 years off the back of someone else....and I'm the joke?

Don't worry...Karma is a B&@$%

Take note landlords: Make sure to check bank statements that show rent payments being made. If there are not rent payments being made it means they are screwing someone else. Their credit report will show their last place of residence. Never go by a prior Landlord's referral/recommendation, because they could be just trying to get rid of their lousy tenant (see MRODNYC's comments above). And never take a tenant over 30 who is "first time renting"..which means they have no evidence of rent payment on their bank statements = could be screwing a landlord.

Protect yourself, get pay stubs, bank statements, credit checks, etc, and get a good feel for the tenant. Because at the end of the day, NYC is not on your side and the only leverage you have is the very beginning when choosing a tenant.
I don't get it, how is she wrong? I read her initial post, and it sounds like she lives in an illegal, nightmare apartment with a slumlord for a landlord. Do you think a judge would have awarded her those kind of damages if the landlord wasn't a slumlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,868 posts, read 4,041,452 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I don't get it, how is she wrong? I read her initial post, and it sounds like she lives in an illegal, nightmare apartment with a slumlord for a landlord. Do you think a judge would have awarded her those kind of damages if the landlord wasn't a slumlord?
I get all that. I just don't understand how she was content paying rent for 18 months when she thought the apartment was legal and once she discovered it wasn't, it became a horrible place?

If the place was that bad wouldn't most people move by the time the lease was up after the first year? I know I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,490 posts, read 3,815,577 times
Reputation: 2138
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I get all that. I just don't understand how she was content paying rent for 18 months when she thought the apartment was legal and once she discovered it wasn't, it became a horrible place?

If the place was that bad wouldn't most people move by the time the lease was up after the first year? I know I would.
I get your point. But maybe the apartment wasn't that bad until the problems started occurring, which weren't getting addressed/fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRodNYC View Post
The landlord has settled with me for a sum of $10,000 outright and I have until September 24th to move out of my apartment without paying a dime of rent until then or owing any illegal back rent.

I will receive a bonus of a few extra thousand for every month prior to September that I move out.

He will ALSO be providing a reference letter for my NEXT landlord.

I don't plan to leave the apartment earlier than September (unless I find the perfect LEGAL apartment prior to that)

I will have lived from January to September having not paid any rent to him. That's 8 months rent free at $1850 a month and $10000, for a total of $24800. Which is a good majority of the rent I paid to him for almost 2 years before realizing my apartment was illegal.

I'm satisfied with the outcome.

My landlord, and greedy landlords everywhere ..can SUCK it.



You can be SURE I will be informing anyone and everyone of my positive settlement to keep as many people informed about their rights as possible.
Seems like a suitable outcome, and much what I would have expected.

Can we presume the landord has learned a lesson from this or will he try to rent out the same old illegal space to another sucker? And then exclaim later: "Goodness me, a LEAK? This is the first I ever heard of it. No other tenant has ever complained."

How much of a bite did your lawyer take?

The ONLY way landlords will STOP renting out illegal holes is for more and more of them being dragged throught the court system, being deprived of rent, and then facing severe punitive financial penaties. Actually, the settlement was nothing more than getting back what you had paid him the year before. So he wasn't damaged at all...he had a space on which he could collect no rent, and that's pretty much what he got.


To the O/P...I STILL cannot conceive of a human being living in 80 square feet.
From yahoo answers:
Quote:
Well, my wife is doing a life sentence and her cell is 8'x10' but she shares that with her cellmate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 01:19 PM
 
15 posts, read 26,432 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I get all that. I just don't understand how she was content paying rent for 18 months when she thought the apartment was legal and once she discovered it wasn't, it became a horrible place?

If the place was that bad wouldn't most people move by the time the lease was up after the first year? I know I would.

I don't understand how you can't understand what you READ.

I was content paying rent when there was NOTHING wrong with my apartment. About 3 months into my renewed lease for the second year my basement FLOODED. And THAT is when the situation became a problem .. I even continued paying rent hoping he would fix it ... and he didn't. And he became a douche. I didn't find out until 22 months into my lease that my apartment was illegal. Up until that time i had paid my rent DESPITE the "bog swamp" in my basement. I stopped paying rent only 2 months before my lease expired.

In the future FULLY read the entire thread before you jump to conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top