U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,864,784 times

Advertisements

What about Fresh Meadows or Hillcrest in Queens? Both have a decent share of black and white residents and are solid neighborhoods. They are also in District 26, which has decent public schools [Well, not Hillcrest, but it's close.]\

Ozone Park is another decent choice, but the schools there are not that good and it borders some bad areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,512,668 times
What's your budget?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 PM

52,670 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Another solid area in Nassau County that is diverse is the Lawrence SD(Linwood, Lawrence, etc.). Search for Public Schools - Search Results

Test Scores for Lawrence Union Free School District | GreatSchools

Inwood, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.lawrence.org/

Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM

12 posts, read 24,842 times
My budget is about 2500 per month....and I'd like a 4 BR.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 PM

7,561 posts, read 7,988,426 times
Rosedale and Laurelton might work. There is a Haitain population there. The elementary schools are OK. The middle and high schools are not very good.

Lawrence, Long Island is not what you are looking for at all. And it is extremely expensive. I would not recommend Inwood either and not much of a Haitian community there.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Rosedale and Laurelton might work. There is a Haitain population there. The elementary schools are OK. The middle and high schools are not very good.

Lawrence, Long Island is not what you are looking for at all. And it is extremely expensive. I would not recommend Inwood either and not much of a Haitian community there.
What's wrong with Inwood? It does sound like Rockland County may be the way to go. I did find out that Valley Stream and Elmont have good sized Haitian populations. Other communities with relatively high Haitian populations in NY are: New Cassel(Westbury schools), Baldwin, Wheatley Heights(Half Hollow Heights schools), Wyandanch, Lakeview(Malverne schools), Roosevelt, Nanuet, Haverstraw and West Haverstraw(North Rockland schools), East Massapequa(Farmingdale schools) and Brooklyn, among some others.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-06-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM

10,616 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

There are two Inwoods. One is in northern Manhattan and the other is in Nassau county bordering Queens. Are you sure you are both talking about the same Inwood?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:34 PM

2,296 posts, read 4,514,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
If you're looking for working middle class neighborhoods they are plenty to choose from in Queens... The demographics of the schools might not be the same demographics of the schools in Atlanta but there will be enough diversity to the point that any problems at all of race shouldn't be a problem... Areas like East Elmhurst, Woodside, Woodhaven, Jamaica, Ridgewood, Jackson Heights, Richmond Hill, Ozone Park, etc.

Also, if you are looking for a majority middle class area that is majority black or a large percentage of black people areas to look at in Queens would be St. Albans, Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Rosedale and even East Elmhurst to a certain extent though it has diversified in recent years... There are plenty of choices right here in the city but in terms of public schooling it may not be as up to par as the schools over there but the schooling isn't bad... There are many hard working public school teachers in the city but it really depends on the students to take the education and make something out of it... We as teachers do need to do a better job overall of getting to our students but the responsibility isn't solely a one way street...
If you're considering Laurelton, Cambria Heights, Rosedale, you should be aware of P.S./I.S. 208, which is located physically in Bellerose but zoned for District 29. The schools are rated better than the ones in the actual neighborhood. Admission is based on lottery.

Here's some more info from InsideSchools.org
P.S./I.S. 208 - insideschools.org

You might also try Hollis, Queens.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,327,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

You could also look into other Rockland County school districts like North Rockland and Suffern. Spring Valley also has quite a few people of Haitian descent, but the schools have a shaky reputation in the area.
Spring Valley does have a large Haitian population. What *is* the reputation of that school system anyway? I know/knew more than a handful of people from up there (growing up, I had a good family friend from there) and when I was in college I met a few other people from Spring Valley so the school system can't be all THAT bad...right...? Unless it has degraded a lot in the last 20 years, which is entirely possible...

Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Spring Valley does have a large Haitian population. What *is* the reputation of that school system anyway? I know/knew more than a handful of people from up there (growing up, I had a good family friend from there) and when I was in college I met a few other people from Spring Valley so the school system can't be all THAT bad...right...? Unless it has degraded a lot in the last 20 years, which is entirely possible...
It seems like the reputation is negative, but I think the demographics of the community has something to do with that. So, I'm sure that there are plenty of good students in that school district. Here's some district info: http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/...ct-profile/606

Also, the Inwood that I'm talking about is in Nassau County and it is located in the Lawrence SD. It is a very diverse suburb very close to Queens and the Lawrence SD is diverse because it.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-06-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or