Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 46,733 times

Advertisements

Moving to Manhattan. Time to return to my city, but the other boroughs don't interest me. Been gone since my late teens. Grew up in a "rough" area of Brooklyn so I can take some "grittiness" but I want to be able to go out at night.

I just need to know which areas to AVOID if you want to go to the store late at night, or hang out with friends and come home at 2am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 PM

107 posts, read 272,791 times
There aren't any really dangerous areas in Manhattan if you're just an average person who isn't involved in drugs and/or other crime. That said, there are major quality of life issues in areas like East Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood East of Broadway, etc. I've lived in those areas and now Inwood East of Broadway, and the noise, garbage, and rampant drug dealing are things you may want to take into consideration but I've never had any issues and that kind of stuff doesn't bother me since I'm not raising a family.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM

400 posts, read 983,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMunies View Post
Moving to Manhattan. Time to return to my city, but the other boroughs don't interest me. Been gone since my late teens. Grew up in a "rough" area of Brooklyn so I can take some "grittiness" but I want to be able to go out at night.

I always see this in posts about danger/safety in Manhattan.

Midtown/Port Authority/Herald square are the places you are most likely to be a victim of a violent crime in Manhattan.

If you grew up in the "rough" areas of Brooklyn than most of Manhattan should be equal or less dangerous. How are you from the rough areas of Brooklyn and you are concerned with "being able to go out at night"?

Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
I always see this in posts about danger/safety in Manhattan.

Midtown/Port Authority/Herald square are the places you are most likely to be a victim of a violent crime in Manhattan.

If you grew up in the "rough" areas of Brooklyn than most of Manhattan should be equal or less dangerous. How are you from the rough areas of Brooklyn and you are concerned with "being able to go out at night"?
What part about my post is confusing you?

For the same reason why I ended up leaving Brooklyn, is the same reason why I asked about specific locations in Manhattan -- I don't want to be around it. Just because I lived that life as a pre-teen/teen, doesn't mean now as an adult I want to have that in the back of my mind, especially where I am in life now.

Because I grew up in a rough area in Brooklyn, means that someone in a rough area of Manhattan will exempt me? Glad to know that. I can see it now -- "My G, chill. That's that new guy from Brooklyn."

Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM

400 posts, read 983,373 times
Quote:

For the same reason why I ended up leaving Brooklyn, is the same reason why I asked about specific locations in Manhattan -- I don't want to be around it. Just because I lived that life as a pre-teen/teen, doesn't mean now as an adult I want to have that in the back of my mind, especially where I am in life now.

Because I grew up in a rough area in Brooklyn, means that someone in a rough area of Manhattan will exempt me? Glad to know that. I can see it now -- "My G, chill. That's that new guy from Brooklyn."
If you're really from New York you know that you can catch it ANYWHERE.
Uptown, Midtown, Downtown, Cross town, tottenville...

Dont live in Midtown, because numerically speaking, you are the most likely to become a victim of violent crime there. Not Harlem/Central/East/West, Not Washington Heights, not Avenue D but MIDTOWN.

Everything else is good money.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,481 times
I've been to Washington Heights, and my hosts say that east of Broadway is still dodgy. I wouldn't know first-hand.

I would kind of agree with another reply, that there are no longer any no-go areas in Manhattan, but of course there are degrees of safety.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
washington heights by a mile

and that's not even that bad

Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
I've been to Washington Heights, and my hosts say that east of Broadway is still dodgy. I wouldn't know first-hand.
Visited once (191st & Wadsworth), didn't seem that bad, but a little iffy. Might be sketchy in the middle of the night. When I visited, we had the windows open the whole night and could hear people screaming at each other.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Quote:

Your entire post is stupid. It is like asking what part of America is too rough for me?

How the heck could anyone answer such a question.

What makes you thi k you can AFFORD anywhere which isn't "rough"? It is likely those areas are all you can afford!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Your entire post is stupid. It is like asking what part of America is too rough for me?

How the heck could anyone answer such a question.

What makes you thi k you can AFFORD anywhere which isn't "rough"? It is likely those areas are all you can afford!
If you have a problem with my question, then why are you on a forum where people are asking others for their OPINION and perception of cities? Maybe what's stupid is you being on such a website?

All I can afford? That's cute. Maybe that's ALL you can afford, or some spot out in the Bronx. Speak for yourself and worry about your own empty wallet. I know what rents are going for. Did that make you feel good about your life though? Probably working retail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City