U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM

263 posts, read 785,888 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Please post the little neighborhoods in the 5 boroughs that are culturally ethnic. Feel free to share your favorite spots (restaurants, stores, etc) and share your fun experiences if you wish.

For example, Little India in Jackson Heights (Queens) is full of authentic Indian food, bakeries, tailors, and supermarkets.

Little Korea in Manhattan near the Empire state building- It's small, but it has ethnic restaurants and patrons in these few blocks.
Chinatown in Manhattan- Chinatown is well known for shopping and food. So I must include it on my list.

Flushing in Queens- This neighborhood has a strong Asian flavor. The food is
incredible and there are many vendor and street signs in Chinese. This was worth the commute.

Finally, Little Italy in the Bronx- I have yet to visit, but I will eat dinner there.
Please share your experiences or just list neighborhoods that you have heard of!

All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM

400 posts, read 834,829 times
In this context, what does "culturally ethnic" mean?

In ANY context what does it mean?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,889,272 times
Polish in Ridgewood [Fresh Pond Road] and Greenpoint.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:55 PM

107 posts, read 229,152 times
Washington Heights and Inwood - Known for Dominican food but the best spot in Inwood is Johnny's/Pizza Palace on Dyckman Street and in Washington Heights it's George's Pizza on W. 181st Street.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,220,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
Washington Heights and Inwood - Known for Dominican food but the best spot in Inwood is Johnny's/Pizza Palace on Dyckman Street and in Washington Heights it's George's Pizza on W. 181st Street.
In South Bronx there are also many places that serve great locrio de pollo and mondongo.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 AM

Default Dominican Food

Thanks for suggesting Johnny's/Pizza Palace and George's Pizza on 181st Street. Does 181st street have several blocks that contain great Dominican food or should I just visit the two that you suggested?

I often use yelp for great restaurants, but I am going to visit neighborhoods that display their cultures prominently.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Default A Walk Down Fresh Pond Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Polish in Ridgewood [Fresh Pond Road] and Greenpoint.
Thanks for listing this neighborhood. I found a blog that provides some photos.

A Walk Down Fresh Pond Road

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/b...pond/index.htm

I'll visit soon. Thanks!

Last edited by 7035683216; 02-06-2012 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: add url

Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM

68 posts, read 140,597 times
Bay Ridge Arab community. Especially along 5th avenue between 68th and Bay Ridge Pkwy

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,273,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7035683216 View Post

Finally, Little Italy in the Bronx- I have yet to visit, but I will eat dinner there.
I recommend Dominick's on Arthur Avenue. I go there probably once a year since when I was a kid.

And definitely make sure you go to the market. It's a great experience:
Arthur Avenue Retail Market - Belmont - Bronx, NY

Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM

8,395 posts, read 19,686,917 times
There is a second still pretty strong Italian enclave in The Bronx in Morris Park.There are lots of Italian restaurants,bakeries,butchers,pizzerias and coffee shops,etc on Williamsbridge Road and Morris Park Avenue.In fact,a lot of the families that own restaurants and shops on Arthur Avenue actually live in this area of Morris Park.Dominick's son,Enzo,has a restaurant on Williamsbridge Road that is highly rated and is one of the mayor's favorite places.The official Bronx Columbus Day Parade is in this neighborhood too.
Another Little Italy, With Scant Parking to Match - New York Times

Morris Park, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best restaurants in Morris Park are Enzo's and Patricia's !
Patricia's - New York City

Enzo's Restaurant

Pelham Parkway has the largest Albanian community in the US.Most of the restaurants and shops around Lydig Ave and White Plains road are owned by them and hearing Albanian in the streets of the neighborhood and in the shops is normal.
Albanian first lady visits Mother Teresa Way • Bronx Times

Pelham Parkway, The Bronx New York City

Woodlawn is far and away the biggest and most cohesive Irish neighborhood in NYC and it's not just Irish Americans.There is a very large community of recent Irish immigrants and they teach the kids in Irish at the local parochial school.Lots of Irish shops ,pubs and restaurants there.
Christine Quinn touts Woodlawn, N.Y. as 'Little Ireland' | Irish News | IrishCentral

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-06-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or