U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Reputation: 3503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhipster916 View Post
This is so ridiculous, so just because a guy cant or doesnt want to fight hes a worthless piece of human life? i honestly dont see anything wrong with someone moving from the midwest or wherever to new york, the hipster/yuppie hate has got to stop, its really not that serious. I understand a lot of hipsters can be annoying but at least in my opinion theyre all smarty, healthy interesting people. Id rather be a hipster than a redneck or thug, just saying.
Peopl here want the city to stay ghetto trashy forever it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
 
Location: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
1,413 posts, read 4,674,469 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Right. There are A LOT of "minority" gentrifiers. Their color just blends in with the neighborhood they are gentrifying so the distinction between "us" and "them" is not as marked. When you see white people walking down Bedford Ave in Bed Stuy you can pretty much bet that they are new to the area. For a black person walking down Bedford, unless you can pick up on class distinctions by dress and mannerism, you would never know that they too are gentrifying transplants (of course until they open their mouth to speak, then that's a dead giveaway).
This bears repeating. The other morning, I was at the fancy coffee shop across the street from me here in Clinton Hill and I saw another black mom with kids:
short natural hair? check
expensive yet compact stroller? check
understated classic clothing? check?

She's a bougie gentrifier like me. Let's be friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
 
927 posts, read 1,286,390 times
Reputation: 639
And you have to realize that although there are some blacks and hispanics who are professionals. Many of them move out to the suburbs when they get their colllege education and/or move up economically.

Many Puerto Ricans who have "made it" now live in Orlando or the outlying suburbs of NYC.

Although you do have some Latnos and black professionals who live here because of this exodus of upper class folks of "color" you have a large black and latino "underclass" that hasn't moved out and still lives in the city.

I think that's why the misconception of "poor black " or "poor Latino" still comes into the mindset of many whites who live here.

I was reading a report that Puerto Ricans were one of the poorest groups in the city.

Its not because they haven't progressed but because the ones that do have this big tendency to move out.

although there are few middle class Puerto Ricans in places like Throgs Neck and middle class blacks in Cambria Heights and other parts of Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,595 posts, read 10,299,700 times
Reputation: 2338
To the OP

any person of color who gets a college degree becomes "white"

similarly to the guy who said what about all the native NYers who live in yuppie nabes

Any native NYer who gets a college degree becomes a "transplant"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,595 posts, read 10,299,700 times
Reputation: 2338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I have to be honest...I don't mind hipsters too much, but I relish the thought of completely dominating these guys in a physical altercation. Seriously, the only reason these guys even exist is because of the protection of the state. If the laws of nature were in full effect, these guys would have been wiped from the gene pool a long time ago. God forbid that the U.S. ever get drawn into a military conflct on the scale of WWII again. Are these the guys who are going to protect this country? We'd be better off sending a girl's softball team into combat.

Inorite? Look at how we the US managed to avoid invading Japan. Thanks to dudes like Albert Einstein, Robert Oppenheimer, and Edward Teller. They did it through sheer strength, and street fighting ability. Albert in particular was could knock a man down very easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Location: No Sleep Til Brooklyn
1,413 posts, read 4,674,469 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
To the OP

any person of color who gets a college degree becomes "white"

similarly to the guy who said what about all the native NYers who live in yuppie nabes

Any native NYer who gets a college degree becomes a "transplant"

Ha! Love this. Had to repeat it because I couldn't rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
 
956 posts, read 1,170,491 times
Reputation: 770
Quite frankly I think the influx of whites/Europeans (British, Russian, Italian, etc.) and Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese) are what gentrify neighborhoods permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
 
2,343 posts, read 3,326,326 times
Reputation: 1864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Quite frankly I think the influx of whites/Europeans (British, Russian, Italian, etc.) and Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese) are what gentrify neighborhoods permanently.
Gentrification is when wealthier people come into communities that were historically lower income/working class. In areas that have [permanently] gentrified, it's not from an influx of immigrants (I assume you are talking about immigrants when you say Europeans and Asians), European or otherwise. It's from Americans, whether they be white American, Asian American, US Hispanic, African American, etc. Park Slope and Williamsburg didn't gentrify because Japanese business men moved in. They gentrified because people of means moved in and settled. Gentrification is, and always has been, about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,817 posts, read 17,417,710 times
Reputation: 7516
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Quite frankly I think the influx of whites/Europeans (British, Russian, Italian, etc.) and Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese) are what gentrify neighborhoods permanently.
Many Asians are part of the gentrification process. I came across many Asians who are Japanese American and from Seattle, Indian and Chinese who are from San Francisco and living in NYC aswell as a couple of Korean chicks who are also live in Gentry neigborhoods and are from Los Angeles. For Hispanics gentrifyers most likely have to be Mexican from the AMerican Southwest who come from wealthy hacienda or Cubans from Florida and less likely a Puerto Rican from suburbs of the Tri-State area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM
 
956 posts, read 1,170,491 times
Reputation: 770
I agree with your posts.

What I meant was that wherever I see Europeans/Asians moving, it's a good indicator those areas are either already 1) good/safe or 2) gentrifying. Doesn't sound PC but its true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top