Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM

400 posts, read 983,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I feel this is too much a generalization. Not all Puerto Ricans hate Non-Hispanic Whites. Probably some of the most common marriage combinations in the NYC metro area are Puerto Rican-Italian/Irish and increasingly Albanian/Russian/Eastern Euro. You shouldn't let a few bad seeds effect your perception. Educate them, embrace each other.
Never said all, I said "these", as in the ones ive met. They were almost uniformly identical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:15 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Middle class people of color are invisible to a lot of New Yorkers. To those folks black and Latino people are only problems to the city, never contributors to making a stronger city. So they can identify "ghetto" in a second, but black or Latino people that buy homes, stabilize neighborhoods, and work in the schools are all but invisible to these folks. These are people who CHOOSE to see only what want to see. It's the very definition of racism.
I wouldn't say this is only within NYC, I'd say in the US in general "outsiders" aren't aware that there are marked class distinctions within communities of color. And yes, this is due to the racist idea that "all [insert any ethnic or racial group] are the same." The idea that a wealthy or upper middle class black person has much in common with a black person from the "ghetto" is one of the myths of racism. The only thing they have in common is that OTHERS may look at them as the same. The wealthy black person has opportunities and resources on par with others from a similar background, whether those others are black, white, Asian, Hispanic, etc..

I could get started on the whole invention of race. Yes race was invented. Any anthropologist worth a grain of salt knows that it's socially contrived. It would be one hell of a tangent (but an interesting one...)

Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
LOFL

Also...

LMAO at that picture.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM

288 posts, read 566,490 times
You have got to be kidding me, right? Hello! Didn't you get the memo? With a population of over 8 million people, New York City shouldn't actually be called New York City anymore because IT HAS BEEN RUN OVER AND RUINED BY WHITE BEARDED MIDDLE WESTERN TRUSTFUND YUPSTERS!!!! Easily over 50% of people living in New York (and easily 80% of white people who dare to wear jeans and sneakers and facial hair and ride a bike are to be considered despicable transplant yupsters) are not pure-blooded New Yorkers and are RUINING this once great city with their bike lanes, vegan restaurants and organic milk they are imposing on the little endangered community of real New Yorkers who are left.

Gentrification is nothing else than code for RUINING THE IDENTITY OF THIS ONCE GREAT CITY. And YES! The blame goes entirely to white bearded middle western yupsters who turned this city into some kind of hippy nightmare. I mean, have you BEEN to Williamsburg lately? Nothing but entitled liberal trustfund-baby weird-dressing metrosexual "artist" (biiiig quotation marks here) white bearded yupsters. They should NOT BE ALLOWED to impose their twisted values on this city. Case closed.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
You have got to be kidding me, right? Hello! Didn't you get the memo? With a population of over 8 million people, New York City shouldn't actually be called New York City anymore because IT HAS BEEN RUN OVER AND RUINED BY WHITE BEARDED MIDDLE WESTERN TRUSTFUND YUPSTERS!!!! Easily over 50% of people living in New York (and easily 80% of white people who dare to wear jeans and sneakers and facial hair and ride a bike are to be considered despicable transplant yupsters) are not pure-blooded New Yorkers and are RUINING this once great city with their bike lanes, vegan restaurants and organic milk they are imposing on the little endangered community of real New Yorkers who are left.

Gentrification is nothing else than code for RUINING THE IDENTITY OF THIS ONCE GREAT CITY. And YES! The blame goes entirely to white bearded middle western yupsters who turned this city into some kind of hippy nightmare. I mean, have you BEEN to Williamsburg lately? Nothing but entitled liberal trustfund-baby weird-dressing metrosexual "artist" (biiiig quotation marks here) white bearded yupsters. They should NOT BE ALLOWED to impose their twisted values on this city. Case closed.
lol. The hipsters are still the devil incarnate ruining the paradise that was once NYC; as filthy and misanthropic as the city was (and still is in some cases) blame it all on the hipsters.

As big as NYC is, you would think there would be some room for White men that like to wear women's jeans, and wear women's shoes, and wear shirts a few sizes too small. Is it really that bad with the hipsters; I mean I saw a few in and around myself when I was there but honestly, the hipsters are not going anywhere.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Why do some here think that all "gentrifiers" are Non-Hispanic Whites? It seems I am not the only one to notice.

In my life I have encountered young professionals of an assortment of racial, ethnic, national, linguestic, and religious backgrounds in the various comminities of this city. Enough with the discriminatory stereotyping.

Also to those specifically targeting hipsters, yuppies or so called transients. WAKE UP! Most of those you think are from somewhere else are raised New Yorkers. Just go to the so called "transient havens" like Williamsburg. Most of those are Brooklynites. I sit near a women at a pedestrian plaza in Chelsea, FROM HARLEM. Visited NATIVE BRONXITES living in luxury condos in Long Island City. I go bar hopping in the Lower East Side and talk to a rocker skateboarder from projects on CONEY ISLAND. How about my conversation with a Domincan Women from INWOOD in Starbucks in Midtown.
Because it's the ones with white non-hispanic heritage that cause the landlords to take notice and hike the rent up up up and up (a staple of gentrification), and it is the ones with white non-hispanic heritage that don't blend in and cause the long-time ethnic residents of the area to say "Oh no, there goes the neighborhood!"

Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I have a problem with anyone who thinks they are better than anyone else in this city regardless of gender, race, sexuality, or where you grew up.

However the people who come in and gentrify the areas I will say are the biggest racists I have ever seen. They call the authentic Chinese restaurants "dirty", any area that isn't gentrified "full of blue collar thugs", and any brown or black person who isn't a hipster or yuppie is automatically a "criminal". Save me the rhetoric. Anyone who wants to argue this, only needs to do a Google search.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:

Outside influences have always had major impacts on any population. Also,
populations change and evolve over time, this is a fact of history. There wouldn't even be an America if it wasn't for European transplants coming over and "disposing" the original inhabitants. Is that right? Well no, but certainly a touchy subject since every single population has come to be what it is today because of outside influences. Even thing of something as simple (or complex, depending on how you look at it) as religion. And before you jump on me as some hipster transplant from the mid-west, I'm from NY (lower Westchester).

Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
I have a problem with anyone who thinks they are better than anyone else in this city regardless of gender, race, sexuality, or where you grew up.

However the people who come in and gentrify the areas I will say are the biggest racists I have ever seen. They call the authentic Chinese restaurants "dirty", any area that isn't gentrified "full of blue collar thugs", and any brown or black person who isn't a hipster or yuppie is automatically a "criminal". Save me the rhetoric. Anyone who wants to argue this, only needs to do a Google search.
My opinion on morons like that is they should NOT be moving to areas that are not "gentrified and Disneyfied" already and leave people alone. They don't get it, nobody needs or wants THEM and their attitudes.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:

Lol grigou gets so upset and butthurt whenever the word hipster comes up that he feels he has to go into his little "Dr. Sarcasmo" character and type lots of capital letters.

It's ok pal, take a breath. You really don't have to get so worked up in your passive aggressive defense of you and your buddies. You're gonna give yourself a freakin stroke. And then where would City-Data be?!

Last edited by availableusername; 02-06-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: