U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,721,264 times
Reputation: 713

Advertisements

Why do some here think that all "gentrifiers" are Non-Hispanic Whites? It seems I am not the only one to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I can't help but see all of the racism that is uncutting most of these responses. You all seem to think that only white people can be "hipsters" or 'urban professionals". The area around Yankee stadium and the area in general up the whole spine of the Grand Concouse has improved and it is evidenced by th reduced crime, the improvement of the building stock, and the asking proces for rents and coops. You really should try to move past your misconception that a group of brown people must be low class. Really, are we in 2011 or 1941?
In my life I have encountered young professionals of an assortment of racial, ethnic, national, linguestic, and religious backgrounds in the various comminities of this city. Enough with the discriminatory stereotyping.

Also to those specifically targeting hipsters, yuppies or so called transients. WAKE UP! Most of those you think are from somewhere else are raised New Yorkers. Just go to the so called "transient havens" like Williamsburg. Most of those are Brooklynites. I sit near a women at a pedestrian plaza in Chelsea, FROM HARLEM. Visited NATIVE BRONXITES living in luxury condos in Long Island City. I go bar hopping in the Lower East Side and talk to a rocker skateboarder from projects on CONEY ISLAND. How about my conversation with a Domincan Women from INWOOD in Starbucks in Midtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2012, 06:05 PM
 
4,926 posts, read 7,075,938 times
Reputation: 4355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Just go to the so called "transient havens" like Williamsburg. Most of those are Brooklynites.

LOFL





Also...







Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM
 
400 posts, read 858,501 times
Reputation: 248
Kill whitey is the easiest cop out.

On another note, I despise Puerto Rican hipsters. Never seen a true believer in so many false ideologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 06:37 PM
 
Location: New York NY
4,266 posts, read 6,346,948 times
Reputation: 9056
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Why do some here think that all "gentrifiers" are Non-Hispanic Whites? It seems I am not the only one to notice.



In my life I have encountered young professionals of an assortment of racial, ethnic, national, linguestic, and religious backgrounds in the various comminities of this city. Enough with the discriminatory stereotyping.

Also to those specifically targeting hipsters, yuppies or so called transients. WAKE UP! Most of those you think are from somewhere else are raised New Yorkers. Just go to the so called "transient havens" like Williamsburg. Most of those are Brooklynites. I sit near a women at a pedestrian plaza in Chelsea, FROM HARLEM. Visited NATIVE BRONXITES living in luxury condos in Long Island City. I go bar hopping in the Lower East Side and talk to a rocker skateboarder from projects on CONEY ISLAND. How about my conversation with a Domincan Women from INWOOD in Starbucks in
Midtown.
Middle class people of color are invisible to a lot of New Yorkers. To those folks black and Latino people are only problems to the city, never contributors to making a stronger city. So they can identify "ghetto" in a second, but black or Latino people that buy homes, stabilize neighborhoods, and work in the schools are all but invisible to these folks. These are people who CHOOSE to see only what want to see. It's the very definition of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM
 
400 posts, read 858,501 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Can you elaborate?
Well let me say this before I get into it. A hipster is always some economically well off, artsy hyper liberal type.

These Puerto Rican hipsters ive met come from the suburbs of Massachusettes, Connecticut and Miami. They're with that whole down with the white man, che guevara Im a oppressed minority nonsense yet their parents have 6 figure incomes, pushing 7.

Basically they have everything in the world, nice home, nice upbringing, nice parents but since they are Puerto Rican they feel "held down by the man". Ive met them so many times and I never met so many as ive met in Zuccotti Park.

Not only that, they think they're tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 8,233,618 times
Reputation: 3523
Who cares? The majority [but not all] of these "gentrifiers" are white, and furthermore, neighborhoods like Harlem or The Grand Concourse aren't gentrified areas. They are still predominitely low income ghettos, and even though they have improved over the past 20 years, they're still pretty bad areas. Williamsburg, Park Slope, Greenpoint, Astoria, Chelsea etc. Those are gentrified neighborhoods. Not Harlem, Bushwick, or the South Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Cool, thanks for stopping by.
Hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
 
82 posts, read 99,969 times
Reputation: 104
The biggest hipster/young "gentrifier" I know is a young 20s black guy from Southern California. His parents earn many millions per year and until recently paid his $8,000 per month rent before they finally bought him a condo. But he flies under the radar when it comes to hipster hate because he's not a white hipster. Lucky him!

But people need to mind their own business and stop hating the different groups of people who collectively make New York the greatest city in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,721,264 times
Reputation: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Well let me say this before I get into it. A hipster is always some economically well off, artsy hyper liberal type.

These Puerto Rican hipsters ive met come from the suburbs of Massachusettes, Connecticut and Miami. They're with that whole down with the white man, che guevara Im a oppressed minority nonsense yet their parents have 6 figure incomes, pushing 7.

Basically they have everything in the world, nice home, nice upbringing, nice parents but since they are Puerto Rican they feel "held down by the man". Ive met them so many times and I never met so many as ive met in Zuccotti Park.

Not only that, they think they're
I feel this is too much a generalization. Not all Puerto Ricans hate Non-Hispanic Whites. Probably some of the most common marriage combinations in the NYC metro area are Puerto Rican-Italian/Irish and increasingly Albanian/Russian/Eastern Euro. You shouldn't let a few bad seeds effect your perception. Educate them, embrace each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Who cares? The majority [but not all] of these "gentrifiers" are white, and furthermore, neighborhoods like Harlem or The Grand Concourse aren't gentrified areas. They are still predominitely low income ghettos, and even though they have improved over the past 20 years, they're still pretty bad areas. Williamsburg, Park Slope, Greenpoint, Astoria, Chelsea etc. Those are gentrified neighborhoods. Not Harlem, Bushwick, or the South Bronx.



Hahaha
Also most young professionals in NYC are not just Non-Hispanic Whites. The gentrifiers are very diverse. Just look at who's buying and renting across the city. Who holds what occupations.

Bushwick, Harlem, and the South Bronx are being gentrified. Who else is buying all that new real estate popping up across the 5 boroughs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,215 posts, read 18,684,327 times
Reputation: 8163
You should see how much these transplant young professionals make. I know and knew some who only made less than 40k a year at office jobs and other sorts. However even if these yuppies don't make a lot of money they're still considered yuppies? Also many buy into yuppie stuff like owning an expensive dog, drinking starbucks daily, and anything apple is a must buy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 8,233,618 times
Reputation: 3523
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Also most young professionals in NYC are not just Non-Hispanic Whites. The gentrifiers are very diverse. Just look at who's buying and renting across the city. Who holds what occupations.

Bushwick, Harlem, and the South Bronx are being gentrified. Who else is buying all that new real estate popping up across the 5 boroughs?
Most? Don't kid yourself, those areas you just mention still have a long way to go, if they were gentrified and filled with black/hispanic yuppies, then the crime rates for those areas wouldn't be so high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top