U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 AM

518 posts, read 1,343,110 times

Advertisements

Hey Livinsinglenyc - if I were you Id take the long route which may pay off in spades in the end. Get the law on your side.

Call 311 - file a noise complaint against your neighbor - they actually have a noise code for "pounding" . Keep the file complaint numbers - call 311 EVERY time the noise occurs - once you have a handful of complaints , forward the numbers to the management agency - they cant stay silent, they will be compelled to act.

You are a paying renter - you have rights outlined in your lease to peaceable, quiet enjoyment of your home. Forgo the note, forgo the stereo (as delicious as it sounds) You can try and talk to her - but if she is insulated enough to not care if she is waking a person with her actions, I doubt a talk will have any effect. But when it comes time to renew that lease, and you've got a phone book of complains, lets see if they renew.

Also, a visit from the Po Po has a way of "calming" most people.

Give it a try, let us know how it shakes out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Irish eyes, I certainly don't expect this woman NOT to work out but just do it at more considerate hours. Isn't there some kind of "quiet hours". I actually use to have an exercise machine, this glidder and it was quiet however I still worried about using it and put a mat under it and wouldn't use it before 9am or after 10pm. It's called living in a big city with many people living above, below, and on all sides of you so you need to be considerate of others not just your own needs.

Vic Future she's an owner so shes' there for the long hall. Its a co-op I live in, I just happen to be a renter.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM

2,310 posts, read 4,813,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Irish eyes, I certainly don't expect this woman NOT to work out but just do it at more considerate hours. Isn't there some kind of "quiet hours". I actually use to have an exercise machine, this glidder and it was quiet however I still worried about using it and put a mat under it and wouldn't use it before 9am or after 10pm. It's called living in a big city with many people living above, below, and on all sides of you so you need to be considerate of others not just your own needs.

Vic Future she's an owner so shes' there for the long hall. Its a co-op I live in, I just happen to be a renter.
I completely agree with you. I just meant that this person might as well. If my neighbors below had said 'hey, you're over our bedroom in the morning' I would have moved to another room. They might not have any idea that it's a problem. I might not have read all the posts carefully but it seemed like the building was telling you not to attempt to talk to her.

Until 4 years ago I lived in an apartment in Brooklyn my whole life. It can suck! But they really might not know they are bothering you.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM

307 posts, read 830,292 times
You're entitled to the "quiet enjoyment" of your apartment as per your lease. Don't deal with the managing agent, deal with your landlord. Put him on written notice that you can't sleep in the apartment and will withold the rent until it's resolved. Let him do some work other than collecting rent. You don't have much to lose since you'll probably have to move if it isn't resolved.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM

142 posts, read 301,323 times
I worked for property management in Westchester for years, handling co-ops and condos and we would advise renters who had complaints about noise to put the complaint in writing and send it to their landlord, and in turn the landlord would send it to the Board of Directors & management. The Board would have management issue warning letters and/or fines if applicable. If that failed, we would suggest that the complainant call the police each time it occurred in order to have a written report for documentation. Just my two cents.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 AM

292 posts, read 595,316 times
I agree with calling the police. I also like the speakers against the ceiling..and there are a number of pop songs titled "F You" including the Cee Lo Green one, to select from, or play them all in a row, lol.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I am having an issue with my upstairs neighbor. Several mornings a week she exercises, in which she does some sort of stepping/marching for about an hour long starting about 6 or 7am. She has a wood floor. It is really effecting my sleep as it wakes me up and I am then unable to go back to sleep due to the pounding lasting an hour. I use a sound machine nightly and have tried ear plugs. Unfortunately I do not work a normal 9-5 job. My shifts are always so changing so some nights I get to sleep just a few hours before this happens. I rent from an owner in a co-op building. I have talked to the management office regarding the issue and was told they will handle it, I'm not to go talk to her. They sent her a letter regarding noise, no change. Talked to them again, they sent letter #2. Still having the issue so talked to them again, well she apparently put down an exercise mat but it obviously didn't do anything and told management that and they said sorry. She appears to be a very heavy walker in general because I hear every step she takes and anytime she moves her chair from her desk/table it is dragged on the floor. But that I can get over but the hour long stepping is draining me. Any advice on what to do regarding this situation. I am so tired constantly from her. I love my apt, my building, my location, but for this kind of quality of life issue for the money I pay is not acceptable to me.
I used to have a downstairs neighbor who cranked her music up so loud, everything in my apartment would rattle. Informing the landlord got me nowhere, and talking directly to her was like talking to a brick wall. One day I couldn't take it any more. I started jumping up and down on the floor like a crazy person. When I stopped...blissful silence from downstairs!

About half an hour later, there was a knock on my door. It was a cop. My neighbor called the police--it seems that when I was jumping on the floor, I succeeded in causing her livingroom ceiling light to come loose. The cop said that he could, under the circumstances, have arrested me. But he didn't because when my neighbor opened her door for him, the volume almost "knocked me on my ass" (his words).

The cop told me not to do that again. I said I promised I wouldn't, provided my neighbor kept the music at an acceptable level. He said that sounded reasonable (she didn't think so--she wanted me arrested). As far as I was concerned, she could go straight to hell, and take her music with her. And the final score was: Me 1, Her 0.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 PM

518 posts, read 1,343,110 times
And the final score was: Me 1, Her 0.

That was a great story Fred.

Long ago, I had an apt in Bed-Stuy and the neighbors would fight and beat on each other every other day. I did everything I could to get them to stop, but to no avail. The lady was worse than the guy, and did most of the beating/pot throwing/door slamming, so talking to her was like talking to a brick wall.

I used to keep a baseball bat by my bed, and when the downstairs neighbors would go buck, Id start tapping the floor, not too loud - but long enough to make them nuts. Way WAY after they stopped fighting.

Then Id do it at night, chinese water torture style - just tap tap tap, sometimes for an hour, stop to have a beer, make them think I was finished, then start again- I had a lot of energy when I was younger to be vindicitve, before the baby...and the age.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,813,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I agree with calling the police. I also like the speakers against the ceiling..and there are a number of pop songs titled "F You" including the Cee Lo Green one, to select from, or play them all in a row, lol.
Metallica or Megadeath at full volume. Of course, I would enjoy it but odds are she won't. LOL

Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I also like the speakers against the ceiling.
I've done that. You'd think that an upstairs neighbor has to have the upper hand (literally), but if you put on the right music, you can get the message to them very quickly. Basically, anything they don't like works like a charm.

After my incident with the downstairs neighbor, a new person moved into the apartment upstairs. Some Russian and his wife...the guy imagined he was some kind of maestro with the accordion, and he didn't need an excuse to start playing (all the while, stomping his foot on the floor in time to what he thought was "music.")

Turned out, he didn't particularly care for anything that sounded like rock 'n roll. And by coincidence, I happened to have a copy of the Sex Pistols' album. I wasn't his favorite person in the world, but it didn't take him long before he understood precisely where I was coming from and what I didn't appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City