U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM

51,250 posts, read 50,539,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
I can't believe this thread is happening..... Are you people serious!?!? THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GHOSTS!
Whatever you're seeing is a side effect from your medications. You're going crazy. Go see a doctor instead.
LOL. When I first saw mine, I thought I was going crazy. Well, that's not actually true. What I thought was that something was wrong with my brain, possibly from smoking weed back in the 70's.

But when my roommate described seeing the exact same guy when she was by herself, the hair on my arms just stood up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 PM

95 posts, read 219,949 times
Greaaaat. Who's the smart guy who decided to read this thread at 12:00am and is coincidentally afraid of things that go bump in the dark? Meeeee. * shivers*

There are rituals you could do to lour them out of your apartment, I hear there are certain scents and fragrances they do not like. But its best for you to be kind to them and ask them to leave your apartment or for them to please not be a bother while you are there. I read a story once of a woman who had an encounter with one that liked to cuddle her in bed and watch her as she bathed...spooky.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 PM

596 posts, read 1,379,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I would move.

It's weird that the landlord actually acknowledged that there is a ghost there. Most people don't believe, or want to believe, in such a thing.
Yea I'd be high-tailing it out of there too. I find it strange that the landlord offered you reduced rent...wow...that would scare me enough to convince me it's real and he knows about it and knows it will get bad enough eventually that you'll consider leaving.

But, for a brownstone in the west village...at reduced rent...it would have to get pretty bad to get me out of there...I mean like Unsolved Mysteries Night of the Living Dead Amityville Horror bad. But, if it bothers you, then definitely get out. There's no reason you should have to live in fear just to get reduced rent. If you can handle that, then you might as well just move to Harlem and really reap some savings.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,068,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I lived in a house with an active ghost that caused all kinds of trouble.
I just spoke to it kindly, introduced myself and make a statement that aknowledged the ghosts existence ('I know you are here') and then asked it to stop messing with my stuff and give reason why.
('I stubbed my toe and it hurt when you left the hammer in the hall').
It stopped after that.
Sometimes they just want attention and recognition.
I know there are those who see ghosts as far fetched...most have never seen a ghost so can't believe it. And with no scientific proof...'it can't real...'
But set that aside for a moment. Think about how lonely it would be to be a ghost.
You see people all the time, but they just ignore you. After many endless days of that, wouldn't you become a bit annoying to get someone to pay attention to you?

I made friends with all the ghosts I have encountered. The first one, sure I was a little scared. It was a very strange and creepy feeling for the first time. But in the end, we coexisted in peace.
Were any named Casper?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM

2,211 posts, read 3,992,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Were any named Casper?
I have heard that Casper was a friendly ghost.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 AM

51,250 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I have heard that Casper was a friendly ghost.
The friendliest ghost you know.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:36 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinmusic74 View Post
Who wants to buy a house: 'Amityville Horror' house back on market, for $1.15M.........

newsday.com/classifieds/real-estate/amityville-horror-house-back-on-market-for-1-15m-1.1945998
Uh...I'll pass on that.....

Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,942,797 times
There are a couple of Spiritualist Churches in NYC. They should be able to offer advice and maybe visit to determine what is going on.

I would take reduced rent, call one of the churches (or both) and ask if someone can come down to tell me what I'm dealing with. A lot of this kind of thing might be spooky, but is really harmless.

As said before, you might be able to co-exist.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,942,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You can't honestly expect to start a conversation about something that many believe is a figment of imagination, and not have someone point this out. This is WHY we have conversations and discussions, because many have different points of view. There is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that the ghost may not exist. It is not an attempt at "deflecting" anything -- it is simply a part of the conversation.

And by the way, this is not the "Haunted" forum. It's the NYC forum.
There is no thread for Alternate Experiences and Beliefs. If you posted as an Atheist, ridiculing religion on a Religious forum, you would be reprimanded.

So people who wish to discuss any spirituality or the concept of life in other realms can go no where without those holding negative viewpoints to their beliefs following them.

I guess I am wrong in my objection, and I am sorry. It is just so annoying to have to defend something all the time that is so individual and dependent on experience.

We rarely make headway in discussions because so many get caught up in this diversion/arguing that non-believers cause.

It is strange to me that there is such an acceptance of organized religion and not so much acceptance of people who believe in ghosts, when there are probably many more of us who have seen ghosts than there are who have seen Christ or talk to God and get answers back.

But I understand skeptics because I would think those who have had such direct confrontations with a deity a bit loony as I have not experienced it.

This is such a personal thing that we aught to give each other a bit of slack. I think it is probably a waste of time trying to get non-experiencers to believe.

Last edited by goldengrain; 04-14-2012 at 05:38 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,422,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I think I had one too in my apartment. I don't think it was a bad spirit but just someone who lived here that was still attached to the apartment.

Only a few weird things have happened nothing really freaky. I don't let it scare me. Fear gives them power and I have a strong faith in God.

My television once turned off by itself, I was nowhere near the remote nor was it on a timer. I chalked it up to a technical reason.

I have a glass desk and I had a glass on top...you know like in drinking cup with the heavy bottom. I watched it move a couple inches by itself then stop. No amount of air could have moved it, there was no condensation under the glass or on the desk, I checked.

Things have gone missing for long periods of time.

I've prayed for God's and His angel's to protect me. I claimed my space saying only ones from God are allowed here and all others aren't welcomed. Nothing else has happened since. I also blessed by house.

I didn't speak to it or acknowledge it, this would give permission for it to be in your life. It's like giving a hi welcome to ghost or demons.

You can never be sure if a demon is hiding behind what may look like a human ghost or making a ghost do certain things. Demons can appear as children to make you feel at ease or trusting.

Get a paranormal group or priest, or whatever answers to your religious practices to help you.

DON'T COMMUNICATE WITH IT!!!
Woah. I had the exact same thing happen to me once except it was a half full can of coke. It moved about 6 inches before I grabbed it (it was about to fall off the table). I remember being in a state of distress just prior to it happening so I firmly believe that spirits -especially evil ones- prey on fear and distress. I had never had any haunting at that house before and never had one again. To this day, no one believes that that can of coke actually moved and a lot of my friends used to tease me about it. I still maintain that it moved on its own to this day.

I would suggest that the OP stay. 1 grand off is a huge discount that a lot of people would kill for. Visit a local church and get in contact with a priest but most importantly, don't let any of this get to you. If you start freaking out, things might get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or