U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,519,654 times

Advertisements

How might a family of 4 live in the projects-

Is there any age in which the kids are too old to live there anymore? What happens?

What is the transition like from a poor child, to a poor teenager, to a poor adult?

I realize some make it out of the projects, and good for them- but I am concerned with the ones who stay in.

I can't imagine most people 18-21 earning enough to pay market rents in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM

400 posts, read 832,781 times
All projects are filled with drugs and crime but are avoidable to some extent.

The best projects are the ones that are not in majority hispanic/majority black hispanic neighborhoods.

Alot of the QUeens ones are good by project standards, the staten island ones are too far from the city and the ones like Gowanus and Wyckoff are ideal. There are the scattered manhattan ones, Harbor View, 23rd street, Strauss, and there are two on the UWS and two on the UES. Other than that most of them are real baron.

Oh yea and alot of west/northwest brooklyn has those jewish projects, weiss and independence.

No limit on the age, its all about income.

Quote:
Me either. Unless you live in a coffin like bed with 5 roomates doing the same. Or you can live in Far Rockaway, the rent is RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP.

Thomas Sowell - Welfare - YouTube

Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,256,748 times
There are also other buildings in NYC that have income restrictions that are not projects.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 PM

But when does someone leave? ... there's got to be a certain age when someone gets too old to live in the project apt. with their folks, right?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:41 AM

669 posts, read 1,036,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
How might a family of 4 live in the projects-

Is there any age in which the kids are too old to live there anymore? What happens?

What is the transition like from a poor child, to a poor teenager, to a poor adult?

I realize some make it out of the projects, and good for them- but I am concerned with the ones who stay in.

Most 18-21 year olds I know still live with their parents or dorm at college I'm 21 by the way, a few share apts with like 2 or 3 roommates.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM

4,162 posts, read 3,451,075 times
I would advise against Far Rockaway, because 1, it's descolent, and 2, when hurricane season rolls around, you'll have to worry about whether you're going to be in immediate danger or not.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM

1,121 posts, read 5,920,897 times
Quote:
But when does someone leave? ... there's got to be a certain age when someone gets too old to live in the project apt. with their folks, right?
No age limit, period. The projects are not temporary housing(at least here), regardless of what you read or think. It's not a shelter. Never was. And you're going to have to ask a sociologist(accredited or pseudo) about "the transition like from a poor child, to a poor teenager, to a poor adult".

Anyway, you can live in the projects forever as long as you don't commit a crime worthy enough of being evicted, failure to pay rent or excessive lateness, falsify occupancy information, poor housekeeping in and around the project grounds or subletting.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
No age limit, period. The projects are not temporary housing(at least here), regardless of what you read or think. It's not a shelter. Never was. And you're going to have to ask a sociologist(accredited or pseudo) about "the transition like from a poor child, to a poor teenager, to a poor adult".

Anyway, you can live in the projects forever as long as you don't commit a crime worthy enough of being evicted, failure to pay rent or excessive lateness, falsify occupancy information, poor housekeeping in and around the project grounds or subletting.
So do you get like adults living with their adult kids?

If a kid moves out do they move you to a smaller place?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 AM

20,154 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Quote:
So do you get like adults living with their adult kids?

If a kid moves out do they move you to a smaller place?

That's a phenomenon that has been increasing for YEARS as the economy deteriorates. Kids in increasing numbers cannot get jobs that support their moving out.

No they don't kick grown kids out of projects unless mother chases them out with a broom.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 AM

2,296 posts, read 4,514,712 times
Suppose your income increases beyond the required amount? Does your rent go up? This is the case in Mitchell Lama housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City