Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,186,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
It's time to finally move out of the nest! I am looking to find a studio or 1BR in a decent area for about $1100 or less. I've lived in Upper Manhattan most of my life so it doesn't have to be the nicest area as long as it's safe for people who mind their own business.

I work in lower Manhattan so I am open to Queens and Brooklyn, preferably a 30-45 minute commute or less if possible. I'm a single young professional but I'd prefer to live in a quieter family-oriented neighborhood as the noise up here is finally starting to drive me insane where I live.

I've been looking at Astoria, Sunnyside and Bayridge. Does anyone know any reputable realtors in these areas?

Thanks! If this sort of post belongs in another subforum please let me know and I'll move it there

Absolutely you can but I would try different neighborhoods. I think Astoria, Sunnyside and Bayridge may be pricey because of the short commute to the city. If saving money on an apartment means commuting almost an hour, I would weigh out my options. Try Glendale. There's buses and trains but still far enough from the city so rent should be reasonable. I wouldn't go further into Woodhaven. It's not bad but there are parts that are so-so. The commute is a little longer also. Flushing is a nice area with lots of buses to get you to the subway. The further you're off from the main routes like Main St or Kissena, you'll have quiet blocks with families. Try looking into private homes first with small apartments. You may come across a nice find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 12:11 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,890,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Absolutely you can but I would try different neighborhoods. I think Astoria, Sunnyside and Bayridge may be pricey because of the short commute to the city. If saving money on an apartment means commuting almost an hour, I would weigh out my options. Try Glendale. There's buses and trains but still far enough from the city so rent should be reasonable. I wouldn't go further into Woodhaven. It's not bad but there are parts that are so-so. The commute is a little longer also. Flushing is a nice area with lots of buses to get you to the subway. The further you're off from the main routes like Main St or Kissena, you'll have quiet blocks with families. Try looking into private homes first with small apartments. You may come across a nice find.
Bay Ridge is hardly a 'short' commute to the city.
Even to downtown manhattan it's like close to 1 hr.
Sunnyside and Astoria yes, but not Bay Ridge.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,596,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
You're right and it's driving me crazy! Lately, I've had way too many hipster sightings recently for my liking. Even the Italian deli down the block, Piazza Mercato, changed their name to Artisan Food Valley. Same stuff, higher price! I wonder how long I have before they price me out of the neighborhood?

OP, you can make it here in Bay Ridge on your income, but honestly, I can't say for how long.
This makes me sad. Mainly because I already have friends who are waiting to get priced out of Bed Stuy and Crown Heights. Now friends in Bay Ridge will start getting priced out. It baffles me because the entire point of newcomers coming in to the city was wanting quick access to Manhattan, which Bay Ridge does NOT offer. If anything it's over an hour easily.

It's a matter of time before Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst is next. *sigh*

Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM

33,500 posts, read 46,882,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
It's time to finally move out of the nest! I am looking to find a studio or 1BR in a decent area for about $1100 or less. I've lived in Upper Manhattan most of my life so it doesn't have to be the nicest area as long as it's safe for people who mind their own business.

I work in lower Manhattan so I am open to Queens and Brooklyn, preferably a 30-45 minute commute or less if possible. I'm a single young professional but I'd prefer to live in a quieter family-oriented neighborhood as the noise up here is finally starting to drive me insane where I live.

I've been looking at Astoria, Sunnyside and Bayridge. Does anyone know any reputable realtors in these areas?

Thanks! If this sort of post belongs in another subforum please let me know and I'll move it there
If you work in Lower Manhattan then you might want to look into St. George, Staten Island as an option.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 AM

109 posts, read 342,731 times
Maybe Ridgewood or Woodside in Queens. The M or 7 train are close by and take you to the city in under an hour for sure.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 AM

917 posts, read 2,000,457 times
I don't know about Queens but in Brooklyn you could find an apartment in that range in Flatbush and Crown heights but those aren't the best areas. I'm kind of in the same position you're in.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM

343 posts, read 1,023,131 times
Parkchester!!!!!! OMG.. HOW people overlook this GEM is just beyond Me.

25 minutes to Grand central on the <6> train with a transfer to the 4/5 at 125th. I do it frequently, can do it in 20 mins if the trains line up.

Common responses: OMG the bronx is soo far... (Lies and hearsay) The whole 6 line from end to end is 55 minutes scheduled. Parkchester is safe and has a crap load of amenities including a Macys and a Starbucks, mad banks, and trees, and multi-cultural people n stuff... What NYC is supposed to be. If you make 37K and above, you're in there!

www.parkchesternyc.com they even updated the website since the last time i've been.

Stop moving to "hip" hoods.... It's so 2011.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM

581 posts, read 1,298,083 times
Stay at home. It's your best bet

Old 02-12-2012, 03:37 PM

107 posts, read 271,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Parkchester!!!!!! OMG.. HOW people overlook this GEM is just beyond Me.

25 minutes to Grand central on the <6> train with a transfer to the 4/5 at 125th. I do it frequently, can do it in 20 mins if the trains line up.

Common responses: OMG the bronx is soo far... (Lies and hearsay) The whole 6 line from end to end is 55 minutes scheduled. Parkchester is safe and has a crap load of amenities including a Macys and a Starbucks, mad banks, and trees, and multi-cultural people n stuff... What NYC is supposed to be. If you make 37K and above, you're in there!

Bronx Studio, 1 BR, 2 BR 3 BR Apartments for Rent | Parkchester, New York City they even updated the website since the last time i've been.

Stop moving to "hip" hoods.... It's so 2011.
I actually forgot about Parkchester, I've been there a few times to hangout with a friend and it seems like a nice place.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM

579 posts, read 942,373 times
Look in the Bronx anywhere alond the Grand Concourse. B/D (with an easy transfer to the A) or 4 train to lower manhattan anywhere from within 30-45 minutes. Studios from $800 1 BR from $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: