U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 3,323,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Who the heck still uses the term "People of Color"? Is this still the 1960s?

Most blacks that I know would hate being called "Colored people".
I actually say People of Color as do some of my friends (all of us are "colored"). I also point to the palm of my hand if I'm trying to indicate that I'm talking about a person that's white and don't want to "offend" by asking out loud if the person is white or black. So called "bougie" blacks also use the term "negro" as in "I can't believe this negro!" It's used lieu of that other notorious "N" word... Either way, probably not a great idea for you to use "negro" or "colored", if you are not "negro" or "colored" yourself.

**** Bougie Black Girls Say - YouTube

Anyway...to the OP, there are are several groups on meetup.com that focus on diversity. Join one of them if you are really interested in adding some diversity to your friend roster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfromcornwall View Post
I didn't mean to offend anyone, but we grew up saying Orientals and never has anyone ever said that it was racist, or inappropriate. Also, POC is a legit term and I've even seen it used around here before. I rather say POC because I think minority has a negative connotation to it.

You seem to be making a bunch of friends on this thread already - see its easy

Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM

2,211 posts, read 3,989,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfromcornwall View Post
Hi guys,

As the title says, I want to make friends with POC, but have little experience in this department.

I have mostly White and Oriental friends and am interested in making friends with any middle class and proper English speaking Hispanics, and Blacks.

Are there any Whites here with Hispanic and Black friends? Is it possible to do, or is there too much of a racial barrier between the groups?

Do Hispanics and Blacks really hate the White man so much that they don't want anything to do with us?
Are you from America?

I am not going to answer your question, I find it to be stupid. I feel that you are probably trolling.

But in the interest of helping out someone who might not know all the ins and outs of the American language, I think you should know that "Oriental" is a term for an object, like a rug. "Asian" is what you use to refer to people .......if you don't want to get your ass kicked.

It's funny that you only want to be friends with "proper english speaking" Hispanic and black people when your grasp of english leaves something to be desired.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Are you from America?

I am not going to answer your question, I find it to be stupid. I feel that you are probably trolling.

But in the interest of helping out someone who might not know all the ins and outs of the American language, I think you should know that "Oriental" is a term for an object, like a rug. "Asian" is what you use to refer to people .......if you don't want to get your ass kicked.

It's funny that you only want to be friends with "proper english speaking" Hispanic and black people when your grasp of english leaves something to be desired.

I can't believe people are still peddling that bogus concept of oriental being offensive because it is an adjective only to applied to objects. Do you also believe that lobsters mate for life, a la Phoebe in Friends?

Anyhow, to the OP - oriental is considered offensive in the US to describe people because of its historical usage in the US - so steer clear of it.

I see you are apparently from Cornwall though, and in Britain, according to wiki, "In British English, the term Oriental is not considered pejorative or offensive, and refers to people from East and Southeast Asia. Asian is generally used only to mean people from South Asia.[10] This usage reflects historic immigration into the UK, since more than 50% of the non-European population is British Asian, whereas East and Southeast Asians comprise only 5-6% of the non-European population. Of those, the majority are of Chinese descent.[11]"

Old 02-08-2012, 01:07 PM

448 posts, read 1,443,983 times
I'll answer your question Op, yes its possible... badda bing. But seriously, friends are hard to come by much less ones of a certain color. It will depend on where you live, work and hang out. When I was in junior high I had white and latin friends but then came high school and thats where I noticed the seperation of races-I am not sure its a fitting in thing or just people associating with what they know. Its like you look at the lunchroom and you see the breakdown of not only race but also nationality -you had the Jamaicans at one table, the Haitians, the Puerto Ricans etc....

But there are plenty of "good English speaking" POC's, just speak to them like you speak to any other person (we aren't aliens)and if you click then tadda-a friend.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM

400 posts, read 831,994 times
I would love to meet some non-colored people.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 PM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
I would love to meet some non-colored people.

ALBINO INTERNATIONAL has meetings every First Saturday...at the University Club.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,189,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
ALBINO INTERNATIONAL has meetings every First Saturday...at the University Club.
Johnny and Edgar Winter are attending.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
I want to befriend some blue people.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM

107 posts, read 228,334 times
What are you some kinda' racist? (Hick voice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or