U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times

Advertisements

i laughed when i read the post. im looking for some white female friends. ones that dont use the word OMG! and LIKE... as a noun verb adjective superlative conjunction.......and so on and so forth.... rolls her eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM

10,589 posts, read 10,317,990 times
You will not make any friends..if you do not look them in the eye instead of the forehead and only notice "colour" - Look into the eyes and see the person...and you will find friends.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM

400 posts, read 832,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evadee25 View Post
i laughed when i read the post. im looking for some white female friends. ones that dont use the word OMG! and LIKE... as a noun verb adjective superlative conjunction.......and so on and so forth.... rolls her eyes.
Im in the same search.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM

7,549 posts, read 7,978,155 times
I want to make friends with people who are Cornish, but have had NO experience in this department.

I want to find out if all of your doctors are insulting like Doc Martin and if you are all adventurers like Ross Poldark. And I am only interested in making friends with Cornish people who speak proper English. None of that pirate sounding speech or country accents will do. And please, none of that Cornish language either. It's incomprehensible.

Oh Brother!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM

2,646 posts, read 4,996,025 times
Gotta love the new New York.
Where open-mindedness & acceptance only runs skin deep. Where people use other peoples ethnic backgrounds as fashionable accessories to be shown off to their equally desperate for swag cornbread cohorts.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:11 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfromcornwall View Post
Hi guys,

As the title says, I want to make friends with POC, but have little experience in this department.

I have mostly White and Oriental friends and am interested in making friends with any middle class and proper English speaking Hispanics, and Blacks.

Are there any Whites here with Hispanic and Black friends? Is it possible to do, or is there too much of a racial barrier between the groups?

Do Hispanics and Blacks really hate the White man so much that they don't want anything to do with us?
I take it you are British?

First, you need to focus on the language, as the present manner of your speech can be considered by some to be offensive.

Just as it isn't proper to call everyone from Britain 'English', and many would find that offensive, you should not use the intitial cap term "POC". It is a bit familiar and/or high handed for someone who doesn't know anyone.

Second, similar is the use of the term "Oriental". It makes you seem as if you just dropped out of the 19th century, and specifically Queen Victoria's drawing room! Totally outdated term.

'Politically Correct', is a term and meaning you need to become quickly familiar with!

Realize whites are a majority in America, but it is not remotely like Britain, and NYC is a far different place than London, which I believe you are aware, hence the basis of your post.

For example, "middle class" has a fully different conotation in the United States than in Britain, as does "proper English".

You appear VERY British in your mindset, which will pose problems of communication.

I STRONGLY suggest you put your focus upon transisting to a more American mindset, which will take quit some time. The British mindset is quite different from an American one. This is very much so, when one is mentally whole of one's class, be it middle or upper.

For example, many POCs will find it offensive, your desire to exclusively consort with those, middle class and proper English speeking. Vocally stating such might get you into trouble, no matter what color the person might be.

Btw, just what is your interest in POC?

Are you on Safari in America?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Sounds like the OP needs a lesson in being politically correct. I'm not buying this thread.

Sounds like an idiot to me and wonders why he can't make friends with other "HUMANS"......hhmmmm

Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,427,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfromcornwall View Post
I have mostly White and Oriental friends and am interested in making friends with any middle class and proper English speaking Hispanics, and Blacks.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,726,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evadee25 View Post
This cracked me up because when I actually had a personals ad running, part of my description was "I don't use the word "like" in every sentence, never watched Sex In The City and never will".

Old 02-10-2012, 01:38 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,858,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Sounds like an idiot to me and wonders why he can't make friends with other "HUMANS"......hhmmmm
This thread is so stupid. If you look at the OP's history, you'll discover that he barely made any posts on city data and hasn't posted ever since he made this thread. Figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or