Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
I rather have Newark, over ENY, Bed-Stuy, or the South Bronx.
You must be joking. Bed-Stuy is HOT. excellent brownstones, Biggie, subway service, Close to Manhattan. ENY is ****ty, but not moreso than Newark. South Bronx has the Yankees, Hip-Hop and some nice tenement structures.

Honestly, I would dump all three (Newark, ENY, South Bronx), keep Bed-Stuy, and take Hoboken, Nassau county, and the JC wterfront. But then we'd have squiggle city. ;P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Personally, I'd vote to have Yonkers and Mt. Vernon annexed to the Bronx. Imagine the subway extended into Yonkers? I believe a few years ago a subway extension was proposed but the residents of Yonkers fought against it.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
You must be joking. Bed-Stuy is HOT. excellent brownstones, Biggie, subway service, Close to Manhattan. ENY is ****ty, but not moreso than Newark. South Bronx has the Yankees, Hip-Hop and some nice tenement structures.

Honestly, I would dump all three (Newark, ENY, South Bronx), keep Bed-Stuy, and take Hoboken, Nassau county, and the JC wterfront. But then we'd have squiggle city. ;P
I doubt the residents of Nassau County would want to be annexed to NYC. It is an official suburb and always will keep that status. However, the JC waterfront is burgeoning with new construction and amenities. It reminds me of a gentrifying East Village

Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 28,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
NYC is perfect the way it is. 5 Boroughs. I wouldn't add Long Island. Too suburban. I wouldn't add Yonkers. Just make that a part of the Bronx. I wouldn't add Jersey. It is another state for cry out loud!
Jersey City/Hoboken in many circles are already referred to as the 6th borough. They're part of the New York metro whether they're in another state or not. They're full of NYC. overflow. They are much more a part of the city and closer than Staten Island.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyBrothers View Post
Jersey City/Hoboken in many circles are already referred to as the 6th borough. They're part of the New York metro whether they're in another state or not. They're full of NYC. overflow. They are much more a part of the city and closer than Staten Island.
I see many things wrong with this statement. And I agree with some.
First, Jersey City/ Hoboken will never be considered a borough nor part of New York City not because of NYer's but because the New Jerseyans won't have it. I doubt anyone from New Jersey or New York would acknowledge any place in New Jersey to be a part of New York. If anything, Jersey City/ Hoboken is considered a satellite city in the New York metro area. Northern New Jersey is full of NYC overflow, it's been that way for decades. If any place is to take the 6th borough title, it'll have to be in New York and most likely border the original 5.

The only thing I agree with is that Jersey City/ Hoboken is more a part of the city than Staten Island. Staten Island's more a part of New Jersey

Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I don't think any part of NJ should be considered a 6th borough. Like others have said, it's an entirely different state. I can't stand when people in NNJ say they live in NY.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Well there are only five boroughs, and the only other places would be westchester, LI, NJ or Rockland.

The one thing that all the other boroughs have in common is they surround the one central borough of New York (manhattan).

Jersey borders one entire side of Manhattan

So New Jersey it is

Actually I would not consider hudson county because Union city, west NY, Jersey city, north bergen, weehawken, guttenberg are mostly illegals now

Old 09-09-2007, 02:51 PM

86 posts, read 499,592 times
Borders are arbitrary lines, just because Hudson county is across a state line doesn't change the fact that its far more like Manhattan than say Staten Island is.

I wonder what subway lines would of been built connecting Manhattan and Hudson county if they were apart of the same city.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDigital85 View Post
Borders are arbitrary lines, just because Hudson county is across a state line doesn't change the fact that its far more like Manhattan than say Staten Island is.

I wonder what subway lines would of been built connecting Manhattan and Hudson county if they were apart of the same city.
PATH?

Anyway, I agree that Hudson County might be a cool enhnacement. But from a purley additive standpoint, Nassau co would be better.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 PM

Wink Yonkers Y.O. represent!

Entry from January 24, 2006

Sixth Borough (Yonkers, Scarsdale, Fort Lee, Jersey City, Hoboken, Nassau County, Rockland County)
New York City has five boroughs.

Yonkers (in Westchester County) was soon proposed to be New York's sixth borough. Many other cities and counties and even countries have been called "New York's sixth borough," such as Fort Lee (NJ), Jersey City (NJ), Nassau County (NY), and Rockland County (NY).

Miami (South Florida) has a well-known reputation as "New York's sixth borough."

Israel and Puerto Rico have sometimes been called New York's sixth borough.

An August 2005 New York Times article called Philadelphia (PA) New York's sixth borough, although several bloggers fiercely deny that Philadelphians have called their city that.

- barrypopik.com

The "Sixth Borough"?

While there are only five boroughs, a number of areas near and far have been identified as the putative "Sixth Borough" of New York City. Places to which the "sixth borough" appellation have been applied include Hudson County, New Jersey[1], Nassau County, New York[2], Newark, New Jersey[3], Philadelphia[4], South Florida[5], and even Israel.[6] The only proposal to merit any formal consideration was a 1934 bill submitted by a New York City alderman suggested merging Yonkers into New York City as a sixth borough.[7]

Some residents call the city "the sixth borough" referring to Yonkers' location on the New York City border, its urban character, and an unsupported vote to be included in the incorporations of boroughs to form New York City. A subway connection was planned between Getty Square and the New York City subway line, but when Yonkers residents voted against the incorporation, the project was abandoned.

- wikipedia

Overall, I believe Yonkers holds the title for New York City's 6th Borough.

Yonkers nicknames:
Backyard of the Bronx
The 6th Borough
The Hidden Borough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City