Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,077,766 times

Advertisements

Do you live in NYC by design or by desire?

In other words, if you live in NYC because of your job, your living with your family, school or for some other reason you must live in NYC...then you live in NYC by design.

If you live in NYC by choice, then you live there by desire.

If you fall into the first category of design, are you planning on staying in NYC or eventually moving away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 10:55 AM

3,937 posts, read 5,041,201 times
The thing is, most people in NYC with a job that affords them to live there chose that job and that market.
They may be more interested in the job than the city- but the two are paired.
While NYU and Columbia have stellar reputations, those who can get into such schools are choosing to go to them because they are in New York.

The ones who live with family, or were born there are generally either really rich or really poor- and won't leave.
One group because they don't want to- the other simply cannot afford to leave a city where they are heavily subsidized.

I think the exception would be unionized workers of NYC/NYS who afford an OK lifestyle because the jobs pay far more than one would make in private sector/other states for such lines of work. These people generally grew up in Middle Class New York City and hold onto it begrudgingly but would be worse off in other places. They will retire with generous benefits and 90% of them will leave right after retirement.

You might find this a more interesting topic for the Suburbs of NYC.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:55 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,985,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Do you live in NYC by design or by desire?

In other words, if you live in NYC because of your job, your living with your family, school or for some other reason you must live in NYC...then you live in NYC by design.

If you live in NYC by choice, then you live there by desire.

If you fall into the first category of design, are you planning on staying in NYC or eventually moving away?
I very reluctantly moved to NYC to go to college and had every intention of of leaving immediately after but once I was here I knew I wanted to stay forever and I have.Getting close to retirement now and will stay here for that too. Not going anywhere.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:18 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,344,792 times
Both. It's my dream city and I have my dream job here. But I definitely wasn't forced to live here because of a job or some other circumstance.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:45 PM

481 posts, read 425,028 times
I married an American who refuses to leave (at least for now) so I'm an immigrant by design. I started visiting the city 15 years ago, and would have moved here at that time more willingly. Not my first choice of places to live at this point in my life...however as of this year now that we have a child together, I'll be tied down here a little longer than expected. I do my best to appreciate the city for what it is.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:50 PM

30,489 posts, read 17,940,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The thing is, most people in NYC with a job that affords them to live there chose that job and that market.
While NYU and Columbia have stellar reputations, those who can get into such schools are choosing to go to them because they are in New York.

The ones who live with family, or were born there are generally either really rich or really poor- and won't leave.
One group because they don't want to- the other simply cannot afford to leave a city where they are heavily subsidized.

I think the exception would be unionized workers of NYC/NYS who afford an OK lifestyle because the jobs pay far more than one would make in private sector/other states for such lines of work. These people generally grew up in Middle Class New York City and hold onto it begrudgingly but would be worse off in other places. They will retire with generous benefits and 90% of them will leave right after retirement.

I agree generally with your note. The only caveat I'd add is that many on the poorer side wouldn't leave even if they could afford to leave. For many, NYC is a very special place, and you don't have to be wealthy to enjoy it.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,834,586 times
Quote:

Rich people often do leave. They have can have multiple homes in multiple places and can live wherever they want to. NYC always has people coming and going. Those on subsidies can go if they want to as well, nothing forces someone to be on subsidies.

There will always be people moving to and from NYC.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:36 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,985,138 times
Quote:

I was forced to move here because Columbia had the top program in the country in social work and they gave me a full scholarship. I hated that it was in NYC at the time.

Now I could move anywhere when I retire and don't want to leave.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,753,593 times
I was born and raised here and have a desire to stay here.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:09 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,835,528 times
I never learned how to drive and was born in Jersey City so I migrated across the state line. If I could, I would escape, but sometimes you get stuck financially in this city and it becomes impossible unless you travel out in a shopping cart, which is what most recent transplants seem to WANT people to do who have lived here for a long time. I will probably die here and be buried on Hart's Island (nyc's Potter's grave) My biological mother was most likely buried there, but there's no info I can find about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: