U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,432 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a journalist working on a story about the proposal to open up four more metro-north stations in the East Bronx that would be connected with the rest of the system (stations in Co-op City, Morris Park, Parkchester and Hunts Point) and connect to Penn Station. I'm looking to speak to anyone who would particularly benefit from this, or has a strong opinion about it. Ideally I'd love to chat via phone - send me a DM and we can set up contact - but if this or email is more comfortable I can work with that. I've got some time pressure though - I've got to try and finish up this story tonight.

Thanks so much!

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Reputation: 6215
Here is a link to a thread about this from a month or so ago:Metro-North Coming to East Bronx: Hunts Point/Morris Park/Parkchester/Co-Op City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Reputation: 6215
I am curious though,do you know exactly where the proposed " Morris Park" stop is supposed to be ?
Somewhere near the intersection of Pelham Parkway and The Hutch ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Reputation: 9026
It would please a HUGE number of people if Co-Op City were connected to the subway system. It is, after all the largest co-op in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,709,520 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It would please a HUGE number of people if Co-Op City were connected to the subway system. It is, after all the largest co-op in the United States.
That's true, although let's be honest: the Baychester Avenue stop on the 5 line is right across from Co-Op City. (Yes, a line with actual station stops in Co-Op City would be better--but it's not as though the subway was on the other side of town!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's true, although let's be honest: the Baychester Avenue stop on the 5 line is right across from Co-Op City. (Yes, a line with actual station stops in Co-Op City would be better--but it's not as though the subway was on the other side of town!)

No, but far enough to need a bus, nearly a mile to some of the buildings nearest the river (considering some of those cockeyed streets.)
I doubt that an additional stop anywhere in the BRONX would benefit so many people. There are 60,000 people living in the complex, larger than many cities. That it's NOT served by a subway is bizarre indeed.

But I guess a neighborhood that's 50% black and 25% Hispanic slides under the MTA radar.



Sorry though, I just re-read the initial post and missed the pointed referance to the Metro-North. Co-op City doesn't need a "commuter train" stop, just a subway. I didn't mean to divert the discussion.

I think more Metro North stops in the City defeat the purpose of quick travel in and out of Manhattan.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-10-2012 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No, but far enough to need a bus, nearly a mile to some of the buildings nearest the river (considering some of those cockeyed streets.)
I doubt that an additional stop anywhere in the BRONX would benefit so many people. There are 60,000 people living in the complex, larger than many cities. That it's NOT served by a subway is bizarre indeed.

But I guess a neighborhood that's 50% black and 25% Hispanic slides under the MTA radar.:dubious
:
Co Op City's lack of subway service has nothing to do with it's current demographic make up.The reason there is no subway serving Co Op City is that it was built by and for white people (mostly Jews) who were fleeing The South Bronx because it was being invaded by what they considered undesirable people. Various subway alternatives were all vehemently rejected because it was thought that subways would only bring undesirable people and crime, which is exactly what they were fleeing.

It is no coincidence that the surviving white ethnic enclaves in NYC share the same transit isolation as Co Op City.It is because the people who inhabit them share the same anti other,anti subway mindset.Many plans to extend subways into various transit poor neighborhoods have been rejected by the residents for this reason.

Of course it didn't work in Co Op City and the real world marched in but it still works for Riverdale,Woodlawn, Throg's Neck,Eastern Queens ,Gerritsen Beach, Staten Island and a few other places.

It's almost unbelievably ironic that things have come full circle and mass transit links are now sometimes proposed as a way to resuscitate neighborhoods,as a vehicle for gentrification so to speak.Just the opposite of the mentality that prevailed in the 60's and 70's.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-10-2012 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM
 
127 posts, read 199,809 times
Reputation: 41
50% black 25% Hispanic is the reason co op has no subway is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard! Jeez you make racism the reason for all your problems huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
 
343 posts, read 895,661 times
Reputation: 240
Metro North in Co-Op city would only be beneficial to people in Section 5. You would have to run bus service from all the other loops to the Metro North, which could take up to 30 minutes (just look at the Q50 from sec 5 to Pelham Bay Station) that takes a half hour alone.

People in Co-Op city that commute to Manhattan don't take the subway. Take the BxM7 Express Bus. It has decent service 5 minute headways during rush, and takes 40 minutes to 23rd street from Einstein Loop, and it's a one seat ride to manhattan (not to mention it runs up to 1:30 am in both directions). Who would want to take the subway or the Metro North, and have to stand all the way into Manhattan, then possibly have to back track to the east side?

I can also bet the fare won't be less than $5.50, The Queens stations on the LIRR are already up to $6.25. If the same pricing structure is in effect, it would make metro north, LESS efficient, as people continue to opt for the one seat, cheaper express bus ride, with the ability to free-transfer to subway and bus without paying on top of a monthly commuter pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
 
343 posts, read 895,661 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Co Op City's lack of subway service has nothing to do with it's current demographic make up.The reason there is no subway serving Co Op City is that it was built by and for white people (mostly Jews) who were fleeing The South Bronx because it was being invaded by what they considered undesirable people. Various subway alternatives were all vehemently rejected because it was thought that subways would only bring undesirable people and crime, which is exactly what they were fleeing.

It is no coincidence that the surviving white ethnic enclaves in NYC share the same transit isolation as Co Op City.It is because the people who inhabit them share the same anti other,anti subway mindset.Many plans to extend subways into various transit poor neighborhoods have been rejected by the residents for this reason.

Of course it didn't work in Co Op City and the real world marched in but it still works for Riverdale,Woodlawn, Throg's Neck,Eastern Queens ,Gerritsen Beach, Staten Island and a few other places.

It's almost unbelievably ironic that things have come full circle and mass transit links are now sometimes proposed as a way to resuscitate neighborhoods,as a vehicle for gentrification so to speak.Just the opposite of the mentality that prevailed in the 60's and 70's.
Partially true. The other is that all the subway transportation infrastructure was already built before Co-Op City was. The city wasn't taking on new projects during the fiscal crisis years of the 70s, especialyextending the system in the other boros, and I-95 would have made that close to impossible, so it wasn't a priority.

In fact, they were actually doing the opposite, they tore down the 3rd avenue EL in the 70's, which contributed to the blight of the South Bronx as it ran right up 3rd Avenue all the way to Gun Hill Road/White Plains Road. Imagine if it was still there. The Bronx would be a whole different boro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top