Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Why do you have to live in Greenwich Village?
Don't necessarily "have" to. Just seems from afar like the most appealing part of the city to me. Once I actually visit there I can confirm this or change my mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Figure out your school first, then decide where to live. I had a friend who lived in Sunnyside, Queens and taught in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Her commute was a nightmare because she had to go through Manhattan. The crowds weren't the problem, it was just very long.

Also, most teachers have to be at school so early they they miss the real crush. Manhattan offices open late, especially compared with the West Coast. Many start at 9:00. Law firms usually open at 9:30 and many attorneys don't arrive until 10:00.

I don't think crowds will be your problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Figure out your school first, then decide where to live. I had a friend who lived in Sunnyside, Queens and taught in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Her commute was a nightmare because she had to go through Manhattan. The crowds weren't the problem, it was just very long.

Also, most teachers have to be at school so early they they miss the real crush. Manhattan offices open late, especially compared with the West Coast. Many start at 9:00. Law firms usually open at 9:30 and many attorneys don't arrive until 10:00.

I don't think crowds will be your problem.
Solid advice. In my case, I'd only accept a position if I could reasonably commute from one of my preferred parts of the city. I'm not entirely sure what those areas are yet. But, the Village is almost certainly going to be one of them. I have a 45 minute commute now in SF. Is there anywhere (low income neighborhoods likely) that could be worse than that? I'm aware some places have fairly poor subway access. Any schools with poor subway access are likely out of consideration, unless the total commute time was still under 45 minutes.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Do you mean 45 minutes door-to-door? That's going to be really tough. It all depends on how far you are from the station, if you have to transfer, if the train is express or local, how far the school is from the station, etc., etc.

Also, as you have no seniority, you might not have a lot of choice as to where you're placed. Teaching jobs are very competitive, especially in this economy.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Solid advice. In my case, I'd only accept a position if I could reasonably commute from one of my preferred parts of the city. I'm not entirely sure what those areas are yet.
You sound like you are very new to the city and learning about it. Make the most of it. You might be surprised how much you really like other parts of the city too. Don't limit yourself to Greenwich Village - you might end up very disappointed. My only advice is to be open-minded. And remember the 40x the rent rule.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
You sound like you are very new to the city and learning about it. Make the most of it. You might be surprised how much you really like other parts of the city too. Don't limit yourself to Greenwich Village - you might end up very disappointed. My only advice is to be open-minded. And remember the 40x the rent rule.
Very new to the city indeed. As in my only time visiting was in 1992 as a kid with my parents! I hope to arrive in town in early June and begin scoping places out. Not committed to moving just yet, but living in NYC is on my "bucket list"!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I will live with roommates. Also, I'll be in my 10th year of teaching, so I won't be starting at $45k. I'd be starting at $67,547 a year.
I hate saying this, especially not knowing your exact conditions, but even with roommates, the Village is a stretch if you're not at $80,000+. It's not only housing, but basically anything in that area of Manhattan is going to be exorbitantly expensive, but if you have enough in savings, that might pull you through. I love the Village, but it's got to be one of NYC's most expensive neighborhoods, even for the well-off.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I hate saying this, especially not knowing your exact conditions, but even with roommates, the Village is a stretch if you're not at $80,000+. It's not only housing, but basically anything in that area of Manhattan is going to be exorbitantly expensive, but if you have enough in savings, that might pull you through. I love the Village, but it's got to be one of NYC's most expensive neighborhoods, even for the well-off.
Yeah, I realize I'm going to be just getting by at that rate. I do avoid sit-down restaurants with waiters. And if I go out on a weekend and drink, I'll bring a flask out with me to avoid buying many drinks. And I'm a minimalist by nature, so I don't need a lot of nice things. With that said, I'd be open to 'hoods not right in the village that would be fairly close and safe. LES might work if I can find the right spot. Also open to any other suggestions from people that actually know the area!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
At your salary, which you stated was $67,547, you can afford rent up to $1,689. That's not even going to get you a studio in Greenwich Village. Are you open to roommates? I understand you want to live in a neighborhood you've dreamed about, but NYC neighborhoods are very accessible and convenient - so even living in Brooklyn or wherever, you can always hang out in your dream neighborhoods at the drop of a dime.

If you can narrow down where you will be teaching, that would help you decide. The more convenient your commute, the more energy you'll have to explore the city!

You can always choose to sublet at first until you get settled, and then find your true home.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
If you're living in Greenwich Village and your subway pass through midtown on the way to an outer borough (say, Queens), your subway is still inbound in a way. So packed at first, then likely emptying out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City