U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
 
6,909 posts, read 9,038,899 times
Reputation: 2861

Advertisements

Safety issues come with the turf in the field that you're in and in the city you want to work. Best bet is to take a regular hours job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
651 posts, read 1,522,019 times
Reputation: 611
A cab will probably still be cheaper than any place you can afford in manhattan. Depending on your neighborhood, the train isn't that bad at night. Some trains are always crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,260,869 times
Reputation: 9177
Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciteria View Post
I bartend night and I'll be working in Midtown. I'll probably be leaving work around 3-4 am.. and I'm concerned about commute. I won't have a car obviously, and I know taxis run high.

Should I just find an apartment close to in or close to Midtown (as opposed to brooklyn or queens) and be safe at night?

What neighborhoods do you suggest for me?

Thank you!

Might help us to know where you live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Jamaica, Queens
8 posts, read 11,694 times
Reputation: 17
i live alllll the way out in jamaica queens (2nd to last stop on the F train) and work downtown at a restaurant in SoHo, it takes me around an hour sometimes more to get out of my door and into work. I work late nights as well but have not had an issue yet.. i am also only 19 and definitely not intimidating just as a side note haha! if you living anywher ein manhattan, a cab from midtown is reasonable. if your out in bk queens or bronx definitely take a subway for 2.25 rather than pay sometimes as much as 50 bucks depending where you live! and if you reall ymake a lot of cash.. put it in your shoe haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,980 times
Reputation: 10
I live in Texas now. I'm open to live in Brooklyn or Queens, but will live in Manhattan if I have to (if night trains are dangerous at 3 or 4 am)
Safety is very important to me. I just have no idea if riding a train at 4 am back to another borough is a stupid thing to do or safe.

Sounds like everybody has a different opinion on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,980 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
1. What is your price range for apartments?
2. Do you prefer to live in a particular borough?
3. What are you looking for in a neighborhood?
4. Some trains are safer than others at night. Many you would be fine commuting by public transportation, even at night.
5. You can use this as an estimate: New York City Taxi Fare Finder . I tested it with a route I usually take by taxi and it was fairly accurate.
1. Probably no higher than 1500 or so.
2. Manhattan, but open to close neighborhoods in Brooklyn of Queens.
3. I'm a young single musician, also have a dog. That's all
4. Could you tell me which ones to stay away from at night?
5. Thank you SO MUCH for that site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
 
10,616 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Reputation: 8155
Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciteria View Post
I bartend night and I'll be working in Midtown. I'll probably be leaving work around 3-4 am.. and I'm concerned about commute. I won't have a car obviously, and I know taxis run high.

Should I just find an apartment close to in or close to Midtown (as opposed to brooklyn or queens) and be safe at night?

What neighborhoods do you suggest for me?

Thank you!
I suggest Astoria and Sunnyside in Queens. Both are very quick commutes to Midtown. (Most parts of Brooklyn are not a quick commute to Midtown.) Sunnyside is on the 7 train, which runs frequently and is quite busy at night. I am not sure about the Astoria trains.

You can look up schedules of how frequently the trains run on the mta.info site by clicking on schedules and then the train line number. For example, the 7 train runs every 20 minutes in the dead of the night every night of the week (2 am, 2:20, 2:40, 3:00, etc.)

I agree about the advice to look for an apartment very close to a subway station, as this cuts down on the amount of time you will be out walking on the street alone late at night.

Another option could be (if you end up in an apartment that is not right near the train) to take the subway to your destination and then grab a car service for $10 or so to get the rest of the way home. Some stations will have many car service cars going by all the time, but others might not, so you will have to find out about that after you've narrowed down your options. I personally find the subway system quite safe at night; it's the part after I get to my destination when I am walking on the street alone that I feel weird about. (Caveat: there are parts of the subway system that pass through worse neighborhoods that I definitely would not feel safe in at 3 am, but I have never ridden in those areas at that time of night.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,868 posts, read 4,042,391 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I suggest Astoria and Sunnyside in Queens. Both are very quick commutes to Midtown. (Most parts of Brooklyn are not a quick commute to Midtown.) Sunnyside is on the 7 train, which runs frequently and is quite busy at night. I am not sure about the Astoria trains.

You can look up schedules of how frequently the trains run on the mta.info site by clicking on schedules and then the train line number. For example, the 7 train runs every 20 minutes in the dead of the night every night of the week (2 am, 2:20, 2:40, 3:00, etc.)

I agree about the advice to look for an apartment very close to a subway station, as this cuts down on the amount of time you will be out walking on the street alone late at night.

Another option could be (if you end up in an apartment that is not right near the train) to take the subway to your destination and then grab a car service for $10 or so to get the rest of the way home. Some stations will have many car service cars going by all the time, but others might not, so you will have to find out about that after you've narrowed down your options. I personally find the subway system quite safe at night; it's the part after I get to my destination when I am walking on the street alone that I feel weird about. (Caveat: there are parts of the subway system that pass through worse neighborhoods that I definitely would not feel safe in at 3 am, but I have never ridden in those areas at that time of night.)
That's ↑ ↑ ↑ the best advise yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,260,869 times
Reputation: 9177
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccreeshjr View Post
i live alllll the way out in jamaica queens (2nd to last stop on the F train) and work downtown at a restaurant in SoHo, it takes me around an hour sometimes more to get out of my door and into work. I work late nights as well but have not had an issue yet.. i am also only 19 and definitely not intimidating just as a side note haha! if you living anywher ein manhattan, a cab from midtown is reasonable. if your out in bk queens or bronx definitely take a subway for 2.25 rather than pay sometimes as much as 50 bucks depending where you live! and if you reall ymake a lot of cash.. put it in your shoe haha
I agree. I've taken the subway at all hours of the night and never had a problem. The subways always have riders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,260,869 times
Reputation: 9177
Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciteria View Post
I live in Texas now. I'm open to live in Brooklyn or Queens, but will live in Manhattan if I have to (if night trains are dangerous at 3 or 4 am)
Safety is very important to me. I just have no idea if riding a train at 4 am back to another borough is a stupid thing to do or safe.

Sounds like everybody has a different opinion on this.
So the job is already set in Midtown? Is the bar very close to the subway or do you have to walk a few blocks? Living in the city can be expensive unless you can find decent roommates. Living in Astoria, Sunnyside or LIC is probably the closest to being to the city where the train ride is quick. Forest Hills might be pricey but the train ride is only about 30 minutes. Some parts of Brooklyn can be an hour train ride. Cab fare is expensive so I wouldn't suggest taking a cab home every night. Honestly, I've taken the subway in the middle of the night. There are always other riders but it's not crowded as during the day. We hardly ever hear of subway incidences on the news or in the newspaper. Unless they're just not made public, which I doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top