Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 AM

5 posts, read 10,564 times

Advertisements

I bartend night and I'll be working in Midtown. I'll probably be leaving work around 3-4 am.. and I'm concerned about commute. I won't have a car obviously, and I know taxis run high.

Should I just find an apartment close to in or close to Midtown (as opposed to brooklyn or queens) and be safe at night?

What neighborhoods do you suggest for me?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,338 times
why dont u just take a cab home.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Statistically speaking you are less safe in a cab than you are riding the subway at night because you are more likely to be in a car accident than you are to get mugged.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Statistically speaking you are less safe in a cab than you are riding the subway at night because you are more likely to be in a car accident than you are to get mugged.

OK Bloomberg

Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
lol

Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Most of my friends who earn their livings as stick up artists prefer to work the night shift and prefer bartenders,waiters and waitresses as their prey because they leave their jobs in the middle of the night with their pockets bulging with all the cash from tips and skimming.They can just hang around outside of the restaurants and bars and wait for their targets to leave on closing,often after a few drinks,which makes them an easier mark.

For this reason,most of my friends who earn their livings as bartenders,waiters and waitresses and who leave their jobs in the middle of the night with their pockets bulging with cash from tips and skimming,usually either take a cab directly home or take a cab to another bar with their fellow employees so they can't be staked out so easily.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Most of my friends who earn their livings as stick up artists prefer to work the night shift and prefer bartenders,waiters and waitresses as their prey because they leave their jobs in the middle of the night with their pockets bulging with all the cash from tips and skimming.They can just hang around outside of the restaurants and bars and wait for their targets to leave on closing,often after a few drinks,which makes them an easier mark.

For this reason,most of my friends who earn their livings as bartenders,waiters and waitresses and who leave their jobs in the middle of the night with their pockets bulging with cash from tips and skimming,usually either take a cab directly home or take a cab to another bar with their fellow employees so they can't be staked out so easily.
↑ ↑ ↑ LOL ...... That made my day!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 10,564 times
Cool thank you!

How far can I go in a taxi before it starts getting expensive?
What neighborhoods should I consider?

Thanks ))

Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
1. What is your price range for apartments?
2. Do you prefer to live in a particular borough?
3. What are you looking for in a neighborhood?
4. Some trains are safer than others at night. Many you would be fine commuting by public transportation, even at night.
5. You can use this as an estimate: New York City Taxi Fare Finder . I tested it with a route I usually take by taxi and it was fairly accurate.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciteria View Post
Cool thank you!

How far can I go in a taxi before it starts getting expensive?
What neighborhoods should I consider?

Thanks ))
I have a couple of female bartending friends and they all live off island and tend bar in midtown. They don't live in or near the projects and live near the subway. Don't forget there is an abundance of subway options in and around midtown. They generally live around the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn or Astoria in Queens.

A nights wages could be blown on your cab fare depending on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City