Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,140 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern New Jersey...I agree with you that the planes are flying much lower now then they were a few years ago. I have called our local airport (Teterboro) noise control officer...he says they are not flying lower. I could actually see in the windows of an airplane when I left my office in Paramus, New Jersey a few weeks ago. I am physically bothered by whatever they have changed about the radar signal...I believe this changed in 2007 or 08...I can feel a vibration in my house about 3-5 minutes before the plane flys over . I also have a physical reaction to the radar...my heart begins to beat out of rythum and I feel like I can't breath. Wonder if anyone else experiences discomfort and also wonder what is going on as far as the changes in the way airplanes and airports are being operated and if it may effect our health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy jouan View Post
I am physically bothered by whatever they have changed about the radar signal...I believe this changed in 2007 or 08...I can feel a vibration in my house about 3-5 minutes before the plane flys over . I also have a physical reaction to the radar...my heart begins to beat out of rythum and I feel like I can't breath. Wonder if anyone else experiences discomfort and also wonder what is going on as far as the changes in the way airplanes and airports are being operated and if it may effect our health.
A "radar signal" has nothing to do with guiding aircraft, and nothing would be changed with it anyway. It simply is a means of telling the controllers where the aircraft is. Aircraft will also have their own weather RADAR systems that work on the same principle of range and shape detection to show them weather in the local area.

Regardless, local airport RADAR (usually an ASR-9 or similar model) beams up and away from the ground, so unless you happen to be several hundred feet tall, you aren't coming into contact with them. Otherwise they would be picking up every building around.

There are systems that guide aircraft to the ground, but you would not come in contact with those. They allow for vertical and horizontal guidance to the ground for aircraft. While their signal starts off from the ground, it radiates up and away. Once you're off the immediate airport, again, unless you're several hundred feet tall, you aren't coming into contact with these signals either.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees1237 View Post
Try living in Howard Beach...
I agree, Also try living in Mott Haven, Castle Hill and Soundview sections of the BRonx, planes that taxi off and land at Laguardia usually fly over parts of the Bronx real low when on approach.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
I can tell you that the planes over the past few weeks have been flying over my head and loudly. It is annoying but typically only lasts for a few weeks..they seem to rotate.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
I also believe it has to do with the way the wind is blowing, sometimes I hear it really loud in my kitchen, then some days I don't hear them at all. It is strange.

They are though flying much lower than ever though, that I do notice.

I hate air traffic noise.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM

39 posts, read 150,906 times
I'm in Sunset Park & planes fly overhead every 90 seconds like clockwork. Drives me bonkers

Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by them View Post
I'm in Sunset Park & planes fly overhead every 90 seconds like clockwork. Drives me bonkers

yes, i know, i work in Sunset and hear them all day long, they then fly over park Slope then head right towards laguardia.

I feel for you, it is a hell.

you can kinda handle evey 15 minutes or so, but in fact it is 30 seconds, i time them when I go out to lunch on 2nd Ave. I can see them one after the other in the distance. 30 seconds.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM

29 posts, read 77,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
ugh, I know. I have relatives that live there. that, is a total nightmare.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind would make anyone purchase a house there.
Well I don't know about that, the homes here are insanely nice. It's a trade off, but I'd say it's worth it though.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees1237 View Post
Well I don't know about that, the homes here are insanely nice. It's a trade off, but I'd say it's worth it though.

Never. I absolutely say it is not worth it.

I have relatives that live in "New Hyde Park", and the planes are huge and fly directly over the house, not off to the side, but directly over the house. I would have to move right out. This to me makes the value of the house worthless.

To listen to a loud plane flying overhead every 30 seconds is maddening. There is absolutely nothing nice or pleasant about listening to a huge jet roaring by every 30 seconds.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 AM

There is a site called Prospect Park Quiet Skies. People are trying to get the flight paths changed.

I think it is absolutely unfair to all the tax paying residents of Brooklyn aand Queens that LaGuardia changed the flight paths completely over a dense metropolis such as Queens and Brooklyn and did not do a noise study.

The planes fly way too low, it is actually frightening.

Instead of having all of us complain, they should just make the planes fly higher, thus they can keep the same route, and we will just not hear them.

Airplane noise is offensive and intrusive and very disruptive, it is not a pleasant sound. I know people say it is the city, but when a plane flies by, you can kinda handle it, but when another flies by 30 seconds later, then another one 30 seconds after that, and every 30 seconds for the continuation of the day, it becomes maddening.

I see it here when i am at at lunch in Sunset Park, they fly over 5th ave, every 30 seconds apart, like clock work.

What gave the FAA the right to change these flights over such a dense population and think no one would be bothered.???

We are all tax paying citizens and having these airplanes fly over our communities is simply not acceptable. they need to fly around Long island over the water and down the LI Sound to LaGuardia, NOT completely over Brooklyn and Queens disrupting hundreds of thousands of peoples lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City