U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 AM

10,678 posts, read 20,846,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Where did I say anything about political pull? There are people who live in the boroughs under increased noise who ALSO depend on the airports for their livelihoods and yes, they do vote. What Grace Meng's or Tony Avella's stand is on the issue is moot.

Let's circle back on this topic in another 6 months. If those people complaining about noise have more sway then the noise will subside dramatically. My bet is nothing would have changed for the reasons I mentioned.
That's weird. You're making a sweeping generalization about "the boroughs" yet you want to completely ignore elected officials who represent major parts of these boroughs (Meng and Avella) and say that their support to fight the FAA is moot. So you think that there are no voters who are constituents of Meng and Avella who work for the airline industry? OK.

That sounds like one of the most ridiculous things I've heard on here. Take a look at Avella's district and see where the airports fall on that map, and then tell me no one in his districts works for the airports.
District 11 | New York State Senate Since his district covers the areas on top of LGA and right near JFK airport, it's kind of strange to think that the constituents of that district would not have anything to do with airport or airline work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 AM

6,926 posts, read 9,086,288 times
/\/\

What generalizations do you say I am making? Do you mean there are only a few people in the boroughs who don't depend on the airports for their livelihoods? And that they don't vote? Are those generalizations?

Moot - Meaning Grace, Tony and the likes can say anything they want. Nothing will change in 6 months then we'll see who's making generalizations. Noise will still be at higher levels as will be the use of the contested runways.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM

15,247 posts, read 23,875,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Where did I say anything about political pull? There are people who live in the boroughs under increased noise who ALSO depend on the airports for their livelihoods and yes, they do vote. What Grace Meng's or Tony Avella's stand is on the issue is moot.

Let's circle back on this topic in another 6 months. If those people complaining about noise have more sway then the noise will subside dramatically. My bet is nothing would have changed for the reasons I mentioned.

I think there are hundreds of thousands of residents living below these new fight paths and it has NOTHING to do with their livelihoods, as more resident DONT work for the airlines.

and again, would you welcome with open arms, jets flying over your home that you pay a mortgage for every 30 seconds constant. now it is one thing if they were there before you bough the house, in my case I had 23 years of pure quiet, now it sounds like a war zone

Old 08-23-2015, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 272 times
I live in a highly populated part of the Netherlands and there are jetplanes flying over all day. It is not a quiet sky interrupted by intermittant noise and pollution but a noisy and polluted sky interrupted by rare moments of quiet. I hate airplanes and everything they stand for...the decadence disturbs me greatly...In the 70's i crossed the Atlantic on an ocean liner. Now that is travel with time to adjust...Speed is killing us and killing the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or