Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookey View Post
I do not have anything to do with the airline industry, except that I am a regular traveler. NextGen was one of Obama's first election promises. I am glad he kept this one. American air traffic system based on hubs and sky highways between hubs is really outdated. So, NextGen is here to stay and it is a good thing.
Regarding your noise problems, there is regulation of how much noise is allowed. I am sure there is some kind of agreement between the city authority and airports about the noise pollution. If airplane noise exceeds the max allowed value, you can request some compensation for noise insulation from the airport. If not then very little you can do on your own. The only way to go is to organize your community of affected residents and bombard various authorities with letters. Make you representative aware of the problem. Only by organizing you can change it.
In London, Heathrow airport wants to build a new runaway. To get endorsement from local authorities they are offering free noise insulation to all residents. It does not mean, that they will get it, the talks are continuing, but it shows that they are ready to go far if communities are organised.

Wookey

it might be a good thing for the airlines, but NOT for the hundreds of thousands of tax payers that have high taxes on their homes and cannot even eojoy thier backyards or have windows open because the FAA deceided to redesign the air space. It is criminal what the FAA has done to us.

all this is about is getting more flights in and out of the airports. it is a money making scam, that is all.

I'm sure you would welcome the sound of a jet fly over your home every 30 seconds of the day, now wouldnt you???

The FAA did not studies in our area, they didn't even tell us the sky was re designed, it was as if by divine right the FAA is exempt from everything....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:31 PM

10 posts, read 26,839 times
Rage posts here will not help you. You have only 2 options. 1. If the noise from airplanes exceeds max allowed then you can formally request your authorities to do something about it. 2 If not then only political pressure might help. Go to your representative and inform him that you are not happy about airplane noise. The more people come the more probability that they do something.
You have been writing about it for half a year, but still no serious actions.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookey View Post
Rage posts here will not help you. You have only 2 options. 1. If the noise from airplanes exceeds max allowed then you can formally request your authorities to do something about it. 2 If not then only political pressure might help. Go to your representative and inform him that you are not happy about airplane noise. The more people come the more probability that they do something.
You have been writing about it for half a year, but still no serious actions.

I have done a lot of things already, and belong to various groups regarding this issue, I have contacted a lot of people regarding this, among other things, that i have not listed here.

You must be in this somehow, as what you are writing is not from the average Joe.

funny how you have noticed that. 5 posts and 3 are from this topic....

Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Prospect Park Quiet Skies

Brooklyn people make complaints here.
I call any and all numbers I can get my hands on. I write letters to our officials.
Nothing.
None of our elected officials are doing nothing.
"They" claim Nextgen is supposed to be so great, ok, maybe for the traveler, but not for us residents.

now the people in Larchmont NY have complained so much that now LGA has been using runway 4 for the last 2 weeks thus alleviating the people up there, but now we are tortured.

The flight paths need to be varied more, it is not fiar for one constant path to be used all at a constant rate of 2 planes per minute.

Runway 4 in the last 2 years sees about 5000 more planes per month than ever before.

No one can tell me the airlines are starving.

I realize I am more noise sensitive than others, but doesn't the jet fuel that is eminated from all these planes flying over concentrated areas all day long concern anyone?, because it should. It is cancer casuing.

LaGuardia Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR

Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
"They" claim Nextgen is supposed to be so great, ok, maybe for the traveler, but not for us residents.
It's also great for the people on the ground who depend on the airports for livelihood - contractual employees, security people, cargo and baggage handlers, concession stand workers, taxi drivers etc. And there are legions of them who live in Brooklyn, Queens and LI who vote. Your elected officials listen to them also. The faster passengers can be unloaded from the planes, the more people needed to help them get on their way.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It's also great for the people on the ground who depend on the airports for livelihood - contractual employees, security people, cargo and baggage handlers, concession stand workers, taxi drivers etc. And there are legions of them who live in Brooklyn, Queens and LI who vote. Your elected officials listen to them also. The faster passengers can be unloaded from the planes, the more people needed to help them get on their way.

right. and I'm postive you would just welcome airplanes flying at 2500 feet every 30 seconds over your home any time right?, sure you would.

and the more money the airlines make, the better, right?

The FAA & PANYNJ has no regards for the hundreds of thousands of tax payers that have bought homes in quiet neighborhoods, but are now suffering because of this chnage. THAT in itself is criminal. It is simply not fair. The FAA did NO noise impact studies what so ever for these new flight paths. None of the residents were told about these changes, it was as if by divine right that the FAA would be exempt from everything.

Were told Nextgen is supposed to be this wonderful thing, yet all it did was create louder, lower, more jets flying over our neighborhoods.

terrible, simply terrible.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
right. and I'm postive you would just welcome airplanes flying at 2500 feet every 30 seconds over your home any time right?, sure you would.
Exactly. And if any ONE of the decision makers in the FAA or Port Authority or whoever made this happen were to own a house that was impacted in this way, this dramatic increase in noise and frequency of noise never would have happened. It's amazing to me that they just simply ushered this through without doing a single impact study.

Elected officials and residents in Queens are fighting this too. Home

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:

and the more money the airlines make, the better, right?

The FAA & PANYNJ has no regards for the hundreds of thousands of tax payers that have bought homes in quiet neighborhoods, but are now suffering because of this chnage. THAT in itself is criminal. It is simply not fair. The FAA did NO noise impact studies what so ever for these new flight paths. None of the residents were told about these changes, it was as if by divine right that the FAA would be exempt from everything.

Were told Nextgen is supposed to be this wonderful thing, yet all it did was create louder, lower, more jets flying over our neighborhoods.

terrible, simply terrible.

What it means nightcrawler is that it's a case of you vs. them. YOU may not be benefitting from nextgen. But there are many others in BK and QN who are and they have their OWN interests to take care of. Unless you accept this then you will never understand why your elected officials seem to be favoring nextgen despite your repeated complaints.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:22 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What it means nightcrawler is that it's a case of you vs. them. YOU may not be benefitting from nextgen. But there are many others in BK and QN who are and they have their OWN interests to take care of. Unless you accept this then you will never understand why your elected officials seem to be favoring nextgen despite your repeated complaints.
There are plenty of elected officials who are teaming up and asking for meetings with FAA, etc. in order to fight this. Maybe the one from nightcrawler's district is not (yet), but it doesn't mean that there aren't many others who are. You can read this press release from Congresswoman Grace Meng's office. She has teamed up with Rep. Steve Israel, Rep. Crowley, State Senator Tony Avella, Assemblyman Braunstein, as well as City Councillor Daniel Dromm.

If you'd like to educate yourself about the issue instead of asserting that airport employees have more political pull than residents whose lives are being compromised because of dramatically increased noise, you can read below.

Reps. Israel, Meng and Crowley Urge FAA to Continue Environmental Reviews for LaGuardia and JFK Flights | Congresswoman Grace Meng

Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you'd like to educate yourself about the issue instead of asserting that airport employees have more political pull than residents whose lives are being compromised because of dramatically increased noise, you can read below.
Where did I say anything about political pull? There are people who live in the boroughs under increased noise who ALSO depend on the airports for their livelihoods and yes, they do vote. What Grace Meng's or Tony Avella's stand is on the issue is moot.

Let's circle back on this topic in another 6 months. If those people complaining about noise have more sway then the noise will subside dramatically. My bet is nothing would have changed for the reasons I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City