U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,726,564 times

Advertisements

Ok Google Maps was lying to me.

There is a station in Wilton on Metro North. It would take an hour and a half to 2 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,251,910 times
Why don't you use the Trip Planner on the Metro North website (mta.info | MTA Metro-North Railroad). Without knowing exact address it's difficult but with dummy addresses I got close to 2 hours for a Monday morning...

Old 02-09-2012, 04:43 PM

9 posts, read 16,613 times
The job is a little less than 2 miles south on rt 7 from the Wilton, CT train station..it looks like there is a commuter bus service that runs from the South Norwalk station along rt 7 that would take about 15-20mins to get where I need to be.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with which stations along the metro north line have better or worse service than others. If anyone could clarify that I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,726,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp860 View Post
The job is a little less than 2 miles south on rt 7 from the Wilton, CT train station..it looks like there is a commuter bus service that runs from the South Norwalk station along rt 7 that would take about 15-20mins to get where I need to be.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with which stations along the metro north line have better or worse service than others. If anyone could clarify that I'd appreciate it.
You should be able to check the individual schedules on the MTA website and select Metro North.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp860 View Post

South Norwalk will definitely have the most through trains and most of them should take about 55 mins from 125th st.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Doing a reverse commute ,you might be able to get away with taking a bike on the train in good weather.That would make your commute less than 1.5 hours door to door.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, its been a huge help.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Try it for a week.
If indeed you find out the commute is unmercifully long (I have no trouble believing 2.5 hours or more door-to-door on average) you still have the option of renting in CT.

I once drove from the Holland Tunnel to Milford and I thought "HOW does anyone manage this kind of commute on a daily basis." But then I HATE to drive.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 AM

I found out my employer offers a car service to and from the Stamford metro north station so that might cut the time a little bit.

Financially it just makes more sense right now (i know that sounds impossible) because I don't have to put any money down immediately on the apartment in NYC. I'd be expected to pay a first/last + security in CT, which I don't have right now.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,526,667 times
Generally, when dealing with the New Haven line, the stations on the main line are the most reliable, and have better service. South Norwalk is a hub, so you would have more options getting to/from there. Stamford is another hub, and you can get an express trains from the city, which gets to Stamford in ~50 minutes as opposed to a little more than an hour for a local train.

The Danbury line, which has a stop in Wilton, uses different equipment and has infrequent service, such that many in Ridgefield, Danbury, and surrounding areas opt to go to the Harlem Line stations in Westchester/Putnam for daily commutes. HART buses, connect to the Harlem Line because it has more trains that are much faster than the New Haven Line's branch and transfer method.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City