Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:29 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
not to get off topic, but if what you say is true, which I find hard to believe, then you need to report your employer to the department of labor.
It's common enough to be the norm, not the exception in the restaurant industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You may want to rethink your own choices and priorities before blaming your behavior on others and on things supposedly outside of your control.
Your life situations don't often offer you a ton of "choices" in a ton of arenas.

I had 3 days to move with about 1500 to do it. And I did.

I work in the restaurant industry because it's the best money I can make sans a college degree.

I'm sorry I don't have your superior judgment.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
. She's saying she eats regularly in the train for her meals and she doesn't give a shoot about anyone else or the cleanliness of the trains.

I don't care one wit if someone is beside me eating on the train...and seeing I'm not a messy individual, I know I'm not contributing to grime on the trains...so all points covered.

I DO care about the people on the subway clipping their filthy nails and being shirtless while dripping sweat on me, but these things won't be banned anytime soon.

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 02-15-2012 at 04:03 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Yes, they can. And they can see how you contradicted yourself by saying on one thread that you go out to eat at restaurants nearly every single day and then turn around and declare on this thread less than a day later that you only eat once a day and are making a big stink about how you have to eat on the run, in the subway. Sorry, but you shot a hole through your own credibility.

This isn't that very complicated Yzette. My habits change with my environment. As I pointed out I've moved several times in the past couple years. Many times I haven't had to take the train daily, or even weekly. If I said that eating on the subway is a regular thing for me, even when I walked daily to work that's not subterfuge. And I spent about 1 week and a half eating once daily. I'm back to 2. Does that make me a liar? Absurdity.

Go back to talking about my cleavage.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
It's common enough to be the norm, not the exception in the restaurant industry.
Interesting. I know quite a few people in the restaurant industry and I've never seen them work through shifts without any kind of break. A friend of mine owns 3 restaurants that I frequent and I've seen the staff take breaks, even the chefs. It's a NYS law. This link is to the Restaurant Owners Guide issued by the City of NY. You're being taken advantage of if your employer is telling you that you can't take a meal break.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/imm/downloads/pdf/OLD-ROM.pdf

N E W Y O R K C I T Y R E S T A U R A N T O W N E R M A N U A L

Breaks, Deductions & Records
When are breaks and time off required to be given?
New York law requires that employees be given one full day off each week.
All employees who work a daytime shift of more than 6 hours must be given a 1/2 hour meal break
between 11:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M.
Employees whose shift begins prior to 11:00 A.M. and ends after 7:00 P.M. must also be given a 20 minute break between 5:00 P.M. and 7:00 P.M.
Employees who work a shift of more than 6 hours between 1:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M. must be given
a 45 minute break midway between the start and end of the shift

Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
they shouldn't ban it .. i mean i would never eat in a subway(well not like a serious entree) but im just paranoid about that ..and clumsy...

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post

I actually really disagree.... As someone whose husband has a restaurant and has many friends working in the business as well....

Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I actually really disagree.... As someone whose husband has a restaurant and has many friends working in the business as well....
Whatever you say.

I've worked at dozens of restaurants in the tri-state area, and only got a break in 2. Both were corporate, but still not even the bulk of the corporate ones gave you breaks. Why? Cause there's no downtime and think about it, tables will have to be transferred to different servers and re-transferred (in the POS as well as physically)...not only does this interrupt guest experience, it's well, irritating for managers. I was so used to working without break for so long that when I briefly worked at one place that made you leave the floor in accordance with the law, I would return as early I could paranoid about how my tables were being taken care of and my money (if the house is not pooled, other girls will not give a flying crap about your tables). Business just isn't very conducive to breaks.

If you read reviews of restaurants, one of guests' biggest pet peeves is when their server disappears. For any reason...even if she's promptly replaced. The bulk of time it's simply because your shift is done, and you just gotta go, but that's the reason why many places will not let you go even when your shift is up until all your tables are closed out AND gone (how many times I've stayed for more than an hour, and the table has already paid, simply because they're lingering)...because transferring tables peturbs guests.

Maybe if you're a small restaurant in the middle of no where or simply one with low traffic or downtime, you are more lenient. When you have 4 four-tops and 3 two-tops entirely filled 90% of the night, you're not getting a break.

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 02-15-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
As someone who has worked in HR, they are breaking the law if they are not allowing you to take a meal break. Regardless of industry, they are required by law to give you a half hour break for an 8 hour day and 15 minute breaks if it is longer than that.

As for the long commute and not having time, I am sorry but that's a load of crap. For most of my working life my commute has been over an hour to 2 hours. I either eat before leaving the house or I grab something on the way and eat while walking to the train. Oatmeal takes 5 mins to prepare and eat, same with cereal, or making a smoothie or a protein bar.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
... or I grab something on the way and eat while walking to the train.
I'm assuming that if you made it to the train before finishing your food on the go you dumped it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City