U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM

51,694 posts, read 50,926,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Exactly right...on all counts!

There are signs posted in each car informing you that you aren't supposed to bring open food onto the trains. The problem, as ever, is enforcement. I, personally, lean in the direction of outrageously high fines; if you get hit with a $250 summons for bringing your fried chicken onto the subway (and the judge backs it up), you're not going to do that again.

If you make a rule but don't enforce it, then you haven't got a rule. It'll never get any simpler than that.
They have a no-food/drink rule on the PATH trains. Last year a conductor got fed up with people ignoring the rule and bringing smelly food onto the trains and then leaving their garbage, and he took the food out of a patron's hands and winged it out the window of the train. He lost his job as a result.

Yesterday I saw a woman open up her salad and start eating it on the 5. It seemed somewhat amusing that she would eat something so healthy-looking inside a dirty subway car, but it didn't matter to me personally one way or the other, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,286,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Whatever you say.

I've worked at dozens of restaurants in the tri-state area, and only got a break in 2. Both were corporate, but still not even the bulk of the corporate ones gave you breaks. Why? Cause there's no downtime and think about it, tables will have to be transferred to different servers and re-transferred (in the POS as well as physically)...not only does this interrupt guest experience, it's well, irritating for managers. I was so used to working without break for so long that when I briefly worked at one place that made you leave the floor in accordance with the law, I would return as early I could paranoid about how my tables were being taken care of and my money (if the house is not pooled, other girls will not give a flying crap about your tables). Business just isn't very conducive to breaks.

Maybe if you're a small restaurant in the middle of no where or simply one with low traffic or downtime, you are more lenient. When you have 4 four-tops and 3 two-tops entirely filled 90% of the night, you're not getting a break.

So we can agree to disagree. I'm talking over 20 years experience with some very large restaurants and lounges. I'm sorry you've had such unfortunate experience.

I also work 10-18 hour days and have a commute anywhere from 30-50 minute depending on how the train is running and I don't recall ever eating anything other than gum on the train.

Eating bans on the train are a very sensitive subject. I don't know the solution myself. No eating between the hours of X and Y? No eating ever? No eating unless you are under 5 or over 80?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,446,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It seemed somewhat amusing that she would eat something so healthy-looking inside a dirty subway car, but it didn't matter to me personally one way or the other, really.
And it shouldn't, unless they are making a mess. Eating = being messy. Making a mess = messy. You can do that with or without food.

Like I said, blanket bans on eating are silly. Are you going to ban a mother from feeding her 3 year old Cheerios? Or my boss who's hypoglycemic who always carries fresh fruit on her from consuming it?

Heavy handed and ultimately absurd.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,745,562 times
Quote:
I'm assuming that if you made it to the train before finishing your food on the go you dumped it.
I don't grab anything I can't eat in 5 minutes. Usually a small breakfast sandwich or bagel. Plus time waiting for said train to show up. If the train showed up and I wasn't finished, I put it away and finished eating it when I got to work. However I work in an office, and I know you don't have that luxury.

Instead of arguing the point with everyone, it is a rule that is in place that everyone is supposed to follow, whether you like it or not. It goes back to the rule of if we let one person slide, we have to let everyone slide. While one person may be considerate of others while eating, there are plenty who are not. Thus the only solution is to ban everyone.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM

It is not an enforced or enforceable rule...and see my post above.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,815,911 times
Quote:
It is not an enforced or enforceable rule...and see my post above.
With or without your post, it's enforceable. It will take a good deal of effort to enforce it, but it can be done. And guess what? After you get a summons for eating on the subway and have to pay the fine--something tells me you'll think at least twice before doing it again.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
With or without your post, it's enforceable. It will take a good deal of effort to enforce it, but it can be done. And guess what? After you get a summons for eating on the subway and have to pay the fine--something tells me you'll think at least twice before doing it again.
Let's see how popular the NYPD gets when they crack down on 8 year olds eating cheese sandwiches.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,238,133 times
Quote:
Let's see how popular the NYPD gets when they crack down on 8 year olds eating cheese sandwiches.
Or a striped bass sandwich.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,815,911 times
Quote:
It will be their parents who have to pay the fine (in case anyone actually had to point that out to you).

Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It will be their parents who have to pay the fine (in case anyone actually had to point that out to you).
Duh...but it won't make it a whit more popular, that's my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City