U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,648,766 times

Advertisements

Slobs and the mannerless are slobs and the mannerless. Legislation doesn't help much. You're not allowed to pee on subway platforms, but that still happens.

Last edited by bg7; 02-16-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: typo
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,691,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
I don't grab anything I can't eat in 5 minutes. Usually a small breakfast sandwich or bagel. Plus time waiting for said train to show up. If the train showed up and I wasn't finished, I put it away and finished eating it when I got to work. However I work in an office, and I know you don't have that luxury.

Instead of arguing the point with everyone, it is a rule that is in place that everyone is supposed to follow, whether you like it or not. It goes back to the rule of if we let one person slide, we have to let everyone slide. While one person may be considerate of others while eating, there are plenty who are not. Thus the only solution is to ban everyone.
Once again - if my diabetic daughter is on a train, the train gets stuck, she goes into Hypoclycemia mode (low blood sugar) which can be fatal - she sure as hell better be able to eat something! You cannot enforce such a law because many times there are medical reasons why someone must eat!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 AM

2,211 posts, read 3,995,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Once again - if my diabetic daughter is on a train, the train gets stuck, she goes into Hypoclycemia mode (low blood sugar) which can be fatal - she sure as hell better be able to eat something! You cannot enforce such a law because many times there are medical reasons why someone must eat!
ONCE AGAIN...that excuse is BS. There are many diabetic people in the world. They keep sugar tablets with them. If you are actually in hypoglycemic shock, you are supposed to eat a very simple and easily absorbed sugar, like fructose or a sugar pill. By the time your body process that quarter pounder with cheese, it's too late.

It is really sad when people use their kids as an excuse for their bad behavior......

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,937,197 times
Quote:

I think you should be able to eat, but then should also be able to get a ticket.
I know this is fortuitous situation, but so would be the ticket.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,271,603 times
Quote:

I sympathize with what you're saying but let's look at the logic and not the inconvenience it will pose. I myself am borderline diabetic. I had gestational diabetes during pregnancy and was on a strict diet. I had to eat 5 times a day to keep my levels balanced. I didn't eat pizza and burgers or large sandwiches. My pasta intake was limited, which as an Italian, was very difficult to do. I took insulin every night; 22 cc's to be exact. I ALWAYS kept glucose tabs or small packets of crackers in my bag for emergencies. My pregnancy was during the summertime and I would walk about half a mile from the sonogram doctor to my OB-GYN. There were times I felt woozy. I reached into my bag and ate my crackers and washed them down with a bottle of water. I was good to go after 5 or 10 minutes. My mother has Type 1 diabetes and is on a restricted diet. When her sugar drops she takes glucose tabs or gives herself a shot of insulin. I'm sure your daughter is on a restricted diet as well so let's not use the excuse that she needs to eat on the train. I doubt she's carrying a sandwich in her pocket all day. Levels drop randomly, that's why glucose tabs were made to bring up those levels fast. If there is a pattern of when she feels she is fading then she needs to adjust the time that she eats and maybe WHAT she's eating. Food is not the remedy in hypoglycemic emergencies. I used to bring small bottles of OJ with me when I commuted in the morning as well...just in case.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,742,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Slobs and the mannerless are slobs and the mannerless. Legislation doesn't help much. You're not allowed to pee on subway platforms, but that still happens.
It's true that you can't legislate common sense--or manners, for that matter. But you can enforce existing laws, and eventually even the most hardcore idiots will begin to understand what they're not supposed to be doing.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,432,964 times
Diabetic, small children, hypoglycemic, anemic...so many reasons you cannot enforce an absolute ban on something vital like food consumption.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,732,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Diabetic, small children, hypoglycemic, anemic...so many reasons you cannot enforce an absolute ban on something vital like food consumption.
They can enforce it.

The question is will they bother doing so.

I was also anemic for years and never had issues once I started taking vitamin supplements every day. Depending on what kind of anemia you have dictates whether you need to ingest food or not.

Most other conditions a pill, injection or tablet is the answer, not food.

If we're going to argue that people should be allowed to eat food on the trains, then what about those with severe food allergies that can have a reaction just by coming into contact with a food? If someone's peanuts lands on someone highly allergic, what's your excuse then?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,432,964 times
Quote:
They can enforce it.

The question is will they bother doing so.
Especially because there are so many reasons not to.

Police won't be too popular if they're snatching cheese sandwiches from kids or fruit from a hypoglycemic.

Quote:
If someone's peanuts lands on someone highly allergic, what's your excuse then?
I'm highly allergic to peanuts myself, I don't know if you are. I carry an Epi-Pen. I think people fundamentally misunderstand food allergies. So many people ask me if having them in a container near me will make me sick, and I don't know where they get this idea from. The smell of peanuts makes me very nauseous, but that's only because I associate them with being violently ill. I can't get an allergic reaction from contact to peanuts unless it comes into contact with open skin (even then it wouldn't be systemic, just dermal), or if there's extremely large quantities of peanut particles in the air (such as would be in a factory) that I can breathe in (severe allergic asthma trigger that can kill), or ingesting them (unquestionably fatal for me). Everything else is voodoo.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,732,028 times
[quote=xxbabeechick;23032390

Police won't be too popular if they're snatching cheese sandwiches from kids or fruit from a hypoglycemic.
[/quote]

Let's be realistic. Police aren't popular anywhere right now. So in the grand scheme of things another thing to ticket for wouldn't make much of a difference at this point as far as how they are viewed by the public.

At least be glad you don't live in Singapore:
What is the Penalty for Chewing Gum in Singapore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City