U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:38 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,709,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
^^Exactly. These aren't even food items one eats if they're diabetic anyway so I don't buy the diabetes excuse. I myself am borderline diabetic. I carry glucose tablets. If my sugar is low, I grab something to eat and eat it then. I don't hike down to the subway, wait for a train and THEN eat.
I know what you are saying, but it's a tough argument. You got a point, but the other side also has a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,310,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
How do you draw the line though? Who gets a pass and who doesn't? Someone might have diabetes, but I might have a headache if I don't eat or whatever.
If someone is diabetic, I doubt they have a plate of spaghetti sloshing around or a platter of fried fish. Wouldn't you eat as soon as your sugar is low? Most diabetics have medic alert bracelets. If you're eating due to medical conditions, I highly doubt that is going to be an issue. The people I see scarfing down food are not eating something because of their blood sugar. Then people complain about the garbage, rats and roaches in the train or subway.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,443,945 times
Quote:
The issue is not feeding a child or having to eat something because of diabetes. The issue is when some SLOB brings a plate of food or whatever and it drops everywhere or they throw the trash out the door at the next stop. Better yet, they throw the bag under the seat and that crap gets everywhere. Don't twist everything around against the city and what others think because you have personal issues. I really don't want to see some slob sucking on chicken wings, throwing the f'ing bones under the seat and sucking on her nasty fingers. You need to eat, by all means but take your trash with you. I guess you wouldn't mind sitting on a hot and crowded bus with some knucklehead eating a styrofoam platter full of fried FISH?

There's so many ways you can be a slob on the subway.

Banning eating on the train is like dumping the baby with the bathwater. Some of us work all the time and spend hours commuting. Sorry we need to be able to eat. Kids need to be fed. People with hypoglycemia or diabetes need to eat regularly.

Sorry that's a nuisance to you, but that's the way things go.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
There's so many ways you can be a slob on the subway.

Banning eating on the train is like dumping the baby with the bathwater. Some of us work all the time and spend hours commuting. Sorry we need to be able to eat. Kids need to be fed. People with hypoglycemia or diabetes need to eat regularly.

Sorry that's a nuisance to you, but that's the way things go.
Where is your logic? Forget the hypoglycemia or diabetes need to eat regularly. You're using that to support your opinion. If I'm diabetic, I would be eating something that is appropriate for my diet NOT A BUCKET OF CHICKEN WINGS. I'm a mother and my daughter rides the bus or train with me. Yes, she has a snack. I'm not saying kids shouldn't eat but be realistic. We're talking about people who bring a 3 course meal and leave the crap laying around. So I guess you're one of those that leave your trash under the seat when you're done eating?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 PM

So your problem is not with people on the subway eating.

Your problem is with people being gross and littering. There are already statutes against littering.

You just illustrated why a blanket ban on eating in the subway makes no sense.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
So your problem is not with people on the subway eating.

Your problem is with people being gross and littering. There are already statutes against littering.

You just illustrated why a blanket ban on eating in the subway makes no sense.
If you read my comment, I clearly have an issue with complete slobs. I have to wear suits to work. Do you know what it's like having food or drink dropped on your clothes first thing in the morning? Don't worry, they won't pass it and even if they do, they won't enforce it. The city isn't going to pay NYPD to ride the subway cars and hand out tickets. Eating, drinking and loud music were always banned but no one ever gave a crap nor do they now.

What about food allergies? It's ok to eat a plate of fried shrimp on the train? My husband is allergic to shellfish. I can't cook shellfish in my house because his throat closes up. My nephew has a peanut allergy. See where I'm going with this?

[quote=bellakin123;22927447]Technically there is a similar law but no one abides it. All open beverages are illegal on the subway. I hope they do pass this but the issue is about enforcing it. People don't realize that other riders don't want to smell other food or seeing people chow down like neanderthals. The issue is also that these slobs don't take their trash with them. They either leave it on the train, throw it on the platform or throw it on the tracks, which causes fires and feeds the rats. They need to pass this on buses also. It was pretty much a "rule" but no one pays attention. The city can't possibly have cops or conductors handing out tickets.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
If you read my comment, I clearly have an issue with complete slobs.
Ok good, but this thread was about bans on eating on the subway.

Glad we got that out of the way.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,953,089 times
I think this is a matter of courtesy also.

People that come in into the subway, ready to have 'dinner' are not considerate with their fellow straphangers. Not everybody wants to smell your food, and look at you eating that saucy spaghetti plate while you make noises to suck them in.
Nor people want to have food spilled onto them when the subway conductor hits the breakes.

I can assure you that if food was banned, and the rule was actually enforced via fines, less people would eat and the city would have a significantly less rat and roach problem. We all know the subway is breeding ground for them. And people eating in the subway are only making things worse for all of us.

As for people with diabetes or any other condition, I'm sure most of them plan accordingly and eat 'BEFORE' getting in the subway.

And that you work so much and don't have time is also not a valid excuse.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 PM

I myself have a peanut allergy. I require an Epi-Pen. If someone is eating peanuts around me on the subway I do the same thing that I do when someone eats peanuts near me at work or some other place outside my home. I move.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I think this is a matter of courtesy also.

People that come in into the subway, ready to have 'dinner' are not considerate with their fellow straphangers. Not everybody wants to smell your food, and look at you eating that saucy spaghetti plate while you make noises to suck them in.
Quote:
You don't want to see or smell other's food?

Well I don't want to hear people talking on their cell phones, picking their noses, lifting up their arms revealing hairy armpits, and clipping their nails but I've seen all that and more on the subway.

And these aren't vital functions like EATING.

If I have a child and I'm on a two hour subway ride, I should face a fine for feeding them Cheerios or a cheese sandwich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City