U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM

15,602 posts, read 25,024,524 times

Advertisements

If people weren't such pigs with their garbage we would not need so many rules.

So you have a tray of take out Chinese food, the train hits a bump or something and the chinese food falls all over the floor.........................what happens then, "the magical chinese fairy" comes and cleans it up....NO, it stays there getting messier by the minute from all the people stepping on it and makes a freaking mess until the train goes into the yard.

this is why they dont want people eating on the trains, it isnt like popping a life saver in your mouth when your sugar drops....

people throw their garbage all over that is why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,153,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
If people weren't such pigs with their garbage we would not need so many rules.

So you have a tray of take out Chinese food, the train hits a bump or something and the chinese food falls all over the floor.........................what happens then, "the magical chinese fairy" comes and cleans it up....NO, it stays there getting messier by the minute from all the people stepping on it and makes a freaking mess until the train goes into the yard.

this is why they dont want people eating on the trains, it isnt like popping a life saver in your mouth when your sugar drops....

people throw their garbage all over that is why.
Lunch?
http://goingwitheddie.files.wordpres...02/photo17.jpg

Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,830,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Let's be realistic, this will never be enforced. I rarely see cops on the subway as it is, let alone them handing out summonses on the train for any number of violations we see on a daily basis.

While I have been guilty of eating on the subway, I try to be considerate about it. If it's something I can't eat comfortably while seated next to someone I wait until i get off the train to eat.
I agree. I rarely see cops in the subway. When you actually need them, they're not there. But that's not their fault. The city doesn't station them in the subways. That's a whole other thread anyway

I've had to snack on something, especially when I was pregnant. I had gestational diabetes and am now borderline. But it was something simple. Not a drippy cheeseburger lol Even now I try to keep glucose tabs or a packet of crackers just to keep me from getting woozy or passing out.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
The point is you have a problem with people being SLOBS on the subway. So do I! However there are multiple ways to be a slob that have nothing to do with a vital function like eating.

Therefore, a ban on eating on the subway isn't appropriate. End story.
My biggest gripe is people being slobs, yes. The article is talking about no manners. Have you had a pair of $150 business shoes ruined because some idiot who didn't want to hold his half finished coffee anymore, put it on the floor and then he kicked it over? And I can't say anything to the jerk because I'm not getting into a physical altercation with some guy. There are people on the train who have mental issues. You ride the train, you know what I mean. Is it fair to ruin someone's clothing and get away with it? You can't say anything to some people because they'll just snap. Clipping nails in public is all together disgusting, regardless if it's on the train. Other things you mentioned are people's hygiene. That's anywhere, not just the train.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM

105 posts, read 282,833 times
That six year old can wait. I've watched kids dump whole bags of food on the subway floor, while parents just watch and laugh. The issue is rats. Kids won't die if they're not stuffing cheetos in their faces every damn second. And of course diabetics stuck on a train can eat something. We're talking about normal everyday travel, not emergencies.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:19 PM

4,926 posts, read 7,079,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
Here we go again. Bearded transplant yupsters forcing their ill-conceived notions of order and cleanliness upon us. Can you picture it? One of those effeminate beard-donning mid-westerners sitting in their room somewhere in Bushwick while gun fire goes off all around their building, writing to their congressman that back IN WISCONSIN people don't eat when taking public transportation and that it should be banned here if the city expects to cater to the bearded yupsters.

And then they call their dad who set up their trustfund thanks to which they can afford their vertiginous rent in an overhyped neighborhood who in turn calls some politician friend of theirs who then introduces a bill THAT TOTALLY IGNORES WHAT NEW YORKERS WANT (constitutionally guarantee to live in filth and stench) and ONLY CATERS TO BEARDED TRANSPLANT YUPSTERS who want to transform this once great city into a midwestern suburb.

They've done it again.

The simple fact that a large amount of new yorkers find yupsters insufferable bothers you so much to the point that any chance you can get, you get all purple in the face and type out some long winded sarcastic drivel that you fancy to be witty and intelligent. What's worse is that it's essentially the same played out crap each time.

Mod cut

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-10-2012 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 04:34 PM

21,489 posts, read 28,378,298 times
I thought eating food on a subway was ALREADY banned. It's been illegal for decades on the PATH system.

A ban is fine with me. I was sitting next to a woman with a big cup full of soda. She looked half asleep and my choices were whether to stand or to worry about getting a bath at the first curve.

Haven't we all seen a floor sticky with drying soda or a seat with a brown puddle in the middle waiting for the first person to sit in it?

The subways are filthy as is...if 10% of food trash is removed all the better.

Eat at home, at work, in a restaurant, or on the street...READ in the subway.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I thought eating food on a subway was ALREADY banned. It's been illegal for decades on the PATH system.

A ban is fine with me. I was sitting next to a woman with a big cup full of soda. She looked half asleep and my choices were whether to stand or to worry about getting a bath at the first curve.

Haven't we all seen a floor sticky with drying soda or a seat with a brown puddle in the middle waiting for the first person to sit in it?

The subways are filthy as is...if 10% of food trash is removed all the better.

Eat at home, at work, in a restaurant, or on the street...READ in the subway.
It's funny you mention the brown puddle on the seat. About 2 weeks ago there was a girl was sitting next to her bf and she set her cup of tea on the seat between them. The tea spilled and he jumped right up. A lady went to sit down not realizing the spilled tea. The girl and guy didn't say a word. They were getting off at the next stop. The lady sitting next me and I just look at each other and we're trying to tell the woman not to sit. Anyway, another woman, who was about to sit in the puddle as well, had a napkin and she wiped the seat but what really got under my skin was that the girl didn't even bat an eye. Wouldn't you tell someone, "hey, don't sit. I just spilled my tea."

Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM

400 posts, read 858,847 times
So they allow subway/newsstands to sell peanuts and chocolate bars etc... but you cant eat them in the same area you buy it?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
So they allow subway/newsstands to sell peanuts and chocolate bars etc... but you cant eat them in the same area you buy it?

Read the whole thread and read the article. The discussion is on buckets of fried chicken and the slobs who don't clean up after themselves. No one is saying don't eat a Snickers.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City