U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 PM

4,398 posts, read 9,023,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Read the whole thread and read the article. The discussion is on buckets of fried chicken and the slobs who don't clean up after themselves. No one is saying don't eat a Snickers.
The discussion is about the proposed LAW and the proposed ban on eating. Some NYP article and your imagination are irrelevant all that matters is where the rubber meets the road and this food BAN.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-10-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 PM

9,512 posts, read 14,749,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Read the whole thread and read the article. The discussion is on buckets of fried chicken and the slobs who don't clean up after themselves. No one is saying don't eat a Snickers.
Wrong. That's not how quality of life crimes get enforced. The egregious offenders get a free pass. Instead, the cops watch for the sucker who sneaks a french fry out of his bag or eats a snickers -- this sort of person is unlikely to make a scene (unlike the egregious offenders).

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-10-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,260,355 times
There is no eating or drinking on the Metro in D.C. with a zero tolerance policy and it's a nicer, cleaner system for it. Somehow, the people of DC/MD/VA manage long commutes involving the Metro without fainting from hunger. They eat breakfast before they head out to work, they eat on their lunch hours, and they have dinner at a restaurant or at home. It won't kill anyone or cause undue hardship to refrain from eating on the subway. I don't buy the diabetes argument, either. People who have diabetes know to carry glucose tablets or LifeSavers for when they feel a low coming on.

P.S. I wonder what system this ad is talking about? No Eating on the Metro
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelebers/4589046605/ - broken link)

Last edited by Yzette; 02-10-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: Great ad!

Old 02-11-2012, 04:01 AM

3,053 posts, read 3,582,123 times
I've been on the DC Metro. It's a very small system and the average ride is FAR shorter than an average subway ride from the Bronx or Brooklyn to Manhattan.

Same thing with the PATH. The average ride on the PATH is like 20 minutes. I've been on the subway for 2 and a half hours.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 AM

9,512 posts, read 14,749,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
There is no eating or drinking on the Metro in D.C. with a zero tolerance policy and it's a nicer, cleaner system for it.
Yeah, and if a few 12-year olds get handcuffed and brought to Central Booking for eating a french fry, that's just tough. (actual incident on the D.C. metro -- in fact, it's policy)

If you think banning eating in the subway would make it anywhere near as nice and clean as the D.C. metro, you haven't looked around. There's food waste all right, but a most of the filth in the subway is from other causes, and because the system is never cleaned. The filth on ceilings and walls inaccessible to passengers certainly has nothing to do with eating or anything else passengers do.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,526,577 times
I'm not especially fond of ppl breast feeding in the subway with the "I have a right to do this look on their face". As for eating in the subway I can understand if a diabetic needs to suck on a candy cane but working trough the whole Chinese menu with half of it spilling in the lap is disgusting might aswell eat in the toilet.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM

142 posts, read 225,868 times
Quote:
There is no eating or drinking on the Metro in D.C. with a zero tolerance policy and it's a nicer, cleaner system for it. Somehow, the people of DC/MD/VA manage long commutes involving the Metro without fainting from hunger. They eat breakfast before they head out to work, they eat on their lunch hours, and they have dinner at a restaurant or at home. It won't kill anyone or cause undue hardship to refrain from eating on the subway. I don't buy the diabetes argument, either. People who have diabetes know to carry glucose tablets or LifeSavers for when they feel a low coming on.

I've seen people eat on the DC subway. It's not unheard of. And there's not really much of a law enforcement presence on the trains, either. The main reason the system is clean is because the whole thing shuts down every night, doesn't see the same volume as the New York subway, and is small enough to clean regularly. Also, a lot of people with the long commute are driving to the metro, taking commuter buses or trains, etc., so there are other legs of their trip where they might be scarfing something down.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM

142 posts, read 225,868 times
Quote:
I used to see the hugest rats running up and down the slope adjacent to the escalators at the Dupont Circle Metro station. They probably didn't spend so much time in the tunnels because they didn't really lead anywhere, and there were so many wonderful trash-strewn open areas in the neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM

8,680 posts, read 13,260,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, and if a few 12-year olds get handcuffed and brought to Central Booking for eating a french fry, that's just tough. (actual incident on the D.C. metro -- in fact, it's policy)

If you think banning eating in the subway would make it anywhere near as nice and clean as the D.C. metro, you haven't looked around. There's food waste all right, but a most of the filth in the subway is from other causes, and because the system is never cleaned. The filth on ceilings and walls inaccessible to passengers certainly has nothing to do with eating or anything else passengers do.

Yeah, that case was great. It caused quite a stir, with quite a few people saying, "Tough, the kid should have known better." That was my take on it. I might not have arrested her, but I'd have made her throw the food away. The kid can read, and if you start making exceptions, there is no point in having the law.

As for length of ride in DC, There are many, many people in the DC area with commutes of well over an hour on the Metro. They grumble about it, but they know it's better than sitting in traffic on the Beltway. Those who point out that people drive to the Metro and can scarf something down then, you have to walk to the subway and walk from the subway to your workplace, don't you? It's not everyone else's problem that you can't manage your time so that you can eat a substantial breakfast before you leave for work, and if you're hungry when you get off the train, have a snack on your walk to your workplace. Keep a nutrition bar in your purse and have it on break. That's what I did when I worked in Manhattan.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could stand to eat in such filthy conditions to begin with. I wouldn't even have a meal on the LIRR, never mind in the subway. But that's not the point. The point is that your breakfasts, lunches, and dinners not only add to the overall stench of the system, they contribute to the filth and the vermin problem.

Really, this outcry is uncharacteristically whiny for New Yorkers. Aren't you supposed to be tougher than that?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM

2,665 posts, read 4,860,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

Yea, I was wondering about that. How come NYC subway is so filthy overall? Why such a mighty city cannot clean its main transit system? I'm originally from Moscow, Russia, and as careless as authorities usually treat things, amazingly the subway is almost shiny clean there. There are cleanup crews every day. Matter fact, NYC is really dirty overall, and I don't understand why streets are not properly cleaned either, comparing to Moscow again or other European cities, but I guess that's another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City