U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:46 AM

3,053 posts, read 3,432,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Sometimes the commute can be very long. Since you know that maybe you should have a snack before you get on the train. I think you can do it. I have faith in you.
Nope. Had a delicious vegetable sandwich I savored on the way to my 13 hour shift (sans break). Wouldn't have it any other way. I only eat about once a day, I have iron deficiency anemia and worked 70 hours this week, and I'll be darned if someone tells me I can't eat during the 2.5 hours I travel daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 AM

2,665 posts, read 4,695,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
When I was a little kid and took the subway with my mother, I can't ever recall seeing people eat on the train. Now, it's a common habit.

My mother would carry around hard candy with her, Lifesavers, Charms, Butterscotch, and that would have to do. She would take the plastic wrapper from me and stick it in her pocket. And it was a long ride from Rockaway to the upper westside for a little kid. They used to have vending machines on the subway platforms in some of the major stations. They would dispense soft drinks dispensed in a paper cup. Once in a blue moon, if it was very hot out, my mother would spend 10cents to buy me a small cup of grape drink. She would tell me to finish it up before the train came.

For as long as I can remember, there have always been stinky, sleezy people on the subway and it was always filthy. I cannot imagine how anyone could touch one of the poles or the banister rail from a staircase or escalator and then use that same hand to touch food and then eat it. There isn't enough Purell in the world.

If people used common sense, there wouldn't have to be quality of life laws. But most people these days, have a sense of entitlement.

I agree with you on this. Common sense is def lacking with the subway eaters who bring out feasts when they ride.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 AM

Last weekend, they were doing construction on one of my connecting trains, adding 45 minutes to my commute. Now often I arrive an hour early to work to take advantage of the free meal I get (if I didn't pick up something nutritious to eat on the train ). Now we have this rule that if you don't arrive early enough before your shift, you cannot order food, and you can't eat during your shift. I'm anemic and standing on my feet for 12 hours. Now I know that I can't trust the subway to get me there on time to take advantage of my shift meal, I'll make sure I'll always purchase something to eat on the way there.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
[/b]

I agree with you on this. Common sense is def lacking with the subway eaters who bring out feasts when they ride.
Of course. But this should make it glaringly clear that an eating ban on the subway is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It's akin to saying since there are people who will not or cannot drink responsibly there should be a ban on alcohol (which wouldn't even have parity with this, since eating is a vital function). Guess what, some brainiacs had that idea, it was called Prohibition, and it's confined to the annals of history where it belongs.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 AM

20,169 posts, read 26,469,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Well if this ban passes, I guess all of those candy and snack vendors on the station platforms will have to close their doors for good.

And that would be just fine. Platforms are for people waiting to catch a train, not for hucksters.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,731,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Yea, I was wondering about that. How come NYC subway is so filthy overall? Why such a mighty city cannot clean its main transit system? I'm originally from Moscow, Russia, and as careless as authorities usually treat things, amazingly the subway is almost shiny clean there. There are cleanup crews every day. Matter fact, NYC is really dirty overall, and I don't understand why streets are not properly cleaned either, comparing to Moscow again or other European cities, but I guess that's another topic.
One word: Cutbacks.

We are all pretty much baffled at things that have been scaled back and what has warranted spending money on in this city.

They scaled back employees in the MTA, which we actually need more of, and yet they spent millions on making sure there was wifi available in public parks? It pretty much boils down to Bloomberg caters to the upper class and doesn't give a damn about anyone below it.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,523,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Of course. But this should make it glaringly clear that an eating ban on the subway is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It's akin to saying since there are people who will not or cannot drink responsibly there should be a ban on alcohol (which wouldn't even have parity with this, since eating is a vital function). Guess what, some brainiacs had that idea, it was called Prohibition, and it's confined to the annals of history where it belongs.
I'm pretty sure Prohibition was about not being able to purchase or drink alcohol anywhere, including your own home.

This is about not blatantly eating meals on the train.

I understand the issue of the mess, and of peoples grand desire to eat and drink. Solution- raise the fares, hire more cleaning staff.

The NYC MTA products are the most disgusting I've ever seen in the world. Charge people more for a higher quality service.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,695,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
One word: Cutbacks.

We are all pretty much baffled at things that have been scaled back and what has warranted spending money on in this city.

They scaled back employees in the MTA, which we actually need more of, and yet they spent millions on making sure there was wifi available in public parks? It pretty much boils down to Bloomberg caters to the upper class and doesn't give a damn about anyone below it.
DAMN. For real. If there was some kinda vote, I am sure most people would pick clean subway instead of park Wi Fi. Who the hell needs it anyway, most cell phones have their own internet now. This a an overall problem in this country-government blowing mad money on stupid things.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-13-2012 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Language - please don't try to get around the filtered words. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,024,280 times
Great more gov't control...just what we need. Let me guess there will be a fine? How about we pass a ban on defecating and urinating in the Subways? If its already passed, let's do more to enforce it. The Cleaners need a job and at the rate we are paying them, I rather see them do some work than sit on their ass.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM

708 posts, read 1,028,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
There is no eating or drinking on the Metro in D.C. with a zero tolerance policy and it's a nicer, cleaner system for it. Somehow, the people of DC/MD/VA manage long commutes involving the Metro without fainting from hunger. They eat breakfast before they head out to work, they eat on their lunch hours, and they have dinner at a restaurant or at home. It won't kill anyone or cause undue hardship to refrain from eating on the subway. I don't buy the diabetes argument, either. People who have diabetes know to carry glucose tablets or LifeSavers for when they feel a low coming on.

P.S. I wonder what system this ad is talking about? No Eating on the Metro
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/thelebers/4589046605/ - broken link)
You are kind of skewing things a bit. People don't eat on WMATA because of lack of food access, not that DC locals are better at following the rules than NYers. The reason WMATA is clean is because there are no vendors in dc metro stations and everyone has to drive 30-40 mins to metro to ride it unlike NYC. DC has its largest population commuting from the equivalents of CT and Stoneybrook. Everyone gets on at the end and off at the middle....if someone does have food it's consumed in the vehicle. (obviously this is a very general statement).

Also, I don't feel the effort of cleaning the stations is worth the payoff.

What? We fine the criminals, send them to jail and have plainclothed NYPD doing ride alongs like US Airmarshalls on airline flights?

Okay so the stations are clean, how does that make your life better? What problem does NYC hope to solve with this? It's pointless.

I am not saying that cleaning the stations and trains wouldn't be a good thing, but there are probably more important things to focus efforts on, like people that have trash in their purses and wallets. Now those are ciminals we should be throwing in jail! Also, we need to send their children to (clean) foster homes as well.

Last edited by vicnice; 02-12-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City