U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
77 posts, read 127,242 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

Flying into JFK in March. Arriving at 10PM. Staying at a friend's place in the Village. Don't want to take the taxi since it's too expensive.

What's the best way to get there via public transit?

Is AirTrain to Jamaica and then the E train my best bet? or are there better options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 PM
 
343 posts, read 895,795 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP17 View Post
Flying into JFK in March. Arriving at 10PM. Staying at a friend's place in the Village. Don't want to take the taxi since it's too expensive.

What's the best way to get there via public transit?

Is AirTrain to Jamaica and then the E train my best bet? or are there better options?
Yep. Normally, the fastest option to manhattan from Jamaica would be the LIRR instead of the (E), but in your case you would still have to connect at Penn Station for the subway to get to the Village. Travel time on the LIRR to Penn is 15 minutes.

However, on second thought, the (E) is local in Queens at the time you would get to it, so the LIRR would save you a boatload of time, even with a subway connection at Penn. You could always switch to the (F) at Continental to get an express service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 PM
 
Location: New York
2,005 posts, read 4,272,070 times
Reputation: 1989
Default thread ender

Here is the best plan.

For downtown Manhattan you should take the Airtrain to Howard Beach. Then take the A train to West 4th. Less connections, less walking, less money and faster time. End of thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 AM
 
30,316 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Reputation: 13995
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Yep. Normally, the fastest option to manhattan from Jamaica would be the LIRR instead of the (E), but in your case you would still have to connect at Penn Station for the subway to get to the Village. Travel time on the LIRR to Penn is 15 minutes.

However, on second thought, the (E) is local in Queens at the time you would get to it, so the LIRR would save you a boatload of time, even with a subway connection at Penn. You could always switch to the (F) at Continental to get an express service
LIRR is much more expensive than taking the subway.
The E is express in Queens and becomes local in Manhattan. So it is probably your best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 02:00 PM
 
343 posts, read 895,795 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
LIRR is much more expensive than taking the subway.
The E is express in Queens and becomes local in Manhattan. So it is probably your best option.
On the weekends LIRR is $3.75 to/from Jamaica/Penn.

and the (E) Train is LOCAL in Queens at the time she would GET to it. Her flight lands at 10pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY born & raised!
2,593 posts, read 3,725,774 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Here is the best plan.

For downtown Manhattan you should take the Airtrain to Howard Beach. Then take the A train to West 4th. Less connections, less walking, less money and faster time. End of thread.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM
 
343 posts, read 895,795 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
This.
And possibly a dangerous ride on the (A) train through those brooklyn neighborhoods, with luggage??

Have you ever took the (A) from Far Rockaway to Manhattan after 10pm at night? ITS LOCAL BTW... So it's not faster. Did anyone read the time of DAY she is coming into town?

So many people have talked about that trip on this board and on Flyertalk, it's crazy you would suggest that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 04:15 PM
 
30,316 posts, read 31,191,100 times
Reputation: 13995
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
On the weekends LIRR is $3.75 to/from Jamaica/Penn.

and the (E) Train is LOCAL in Queens at the time she would GET to it. Her flight lands at 10pm.
Actually the E train runs express in Queens until midnight. The E only runs local in Queens between midnight and 6AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
 
67 posts, read 215,365 times
Reputation: 33
I wouldn't recommend the A train either only because of how long it will take you. With your time, you'll probably get stuck on a train that turns local which can take forever.

As for safety though, I don't find it as bad as people make it be. I've never had an issue (day or night).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2012, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Reputation: 7563
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
And possibly a dangerous ride on the (A) train through those brooklyn neighborhoods, with luggage??

Have you ever took the (A) from Far Rockaway to Manhattan after 10pm at night? ITS LOCAL BTW... So it's not faster. Did anyone read the time of DAY she is coming into town?

So many people have talked about that trip on this board and on Flyertalk, it's crazy you would suggest that.
It's not dangerous. Criminals just don't start getting on at Euclid Avenue to spot out travelers.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top