U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 AM

14,778 posts, read 17,397,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetking1234 View Post
Anyone here took the NYPD Exam number 8132 in 2009'. I got a letter in Aug 2011 for the January 2012 hire class stating "congratulations ....." i just received my medical for Feb xx 2012. So obviously i didn't make the Jan 2012 class.

NYPD EXAM: Passed
APD 5 form: Finalized 08/11
Medical: 2/xx/2012 Passed
Written Psyc: 2/xx/2012
JST:
Oral:
BI:

anyone in the same boat?
Everything is easy the hardest part is either the BI or the oral Psych if any bad character is found consider yourself finished or comeback in a future date and try again like in my circumstances. THE JST is easy I passed that in 3 mins and Im a big guy. The JST is held in Staten Island in a recreational park just one stop from St Geroge ferry Terminal. Medical is also easy, just a simple blood pressure exam, ekg, hairing and vision test thats all, However its a whole day affair, any abnormalities or questionable health issue they put you on review and go to see your doctor. THe BI investigation is questionable, I knew one guy who got turned down for credit problems aswell as debt which is considered bad character. Another guy got turned down for a questionable tattoo on his fore arm. For me, my oral psych screwed me up and the NYPD turned me down. It takes an arm and a leg to finance a war to get your results overturned so I decided no longer to persue the NYPD anymore even though I have a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and know alot of hood, slang, codes and ques, gang colors, signs and symbols, opposite drug names like ski for coke and 420 weed and rocks is crack. If I was you, you should try to do a practice of the psych and oral psych which is the most important part of the process.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-17-2012 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
PAPD very rarely gives tests it seems. Maybe as often as the fire dept at best. However the last one was around 2007 I believe, so it could hypothetically be coming up in the near future. Check back to their page every now and again.

Port Authority Police Department Recruitment - Careers - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
The last exams was in the fall of 2007 which costed aroudn 70 dollars. The exam was held in an airplane hanger at JFK airport from what I have been told by friends. THE PAPD gives exams every five years. The next exam is supposed to be around this year. Im going to take it for sure this time. iF notthe PAPD check out the MTAPD and also the Harbor police Department.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Not sure if it changed, but last I remember, you need 64 credits for the Sgt. exam, 96 for the Lt. exam and a bachelors for the Capt. exam.

Most however just go for their bachelors when going for the Sergeants or Lieutenant exam to nip it in the bud.

So yes if you stay at 60 credits you can't get promoted without going back to school.
Yep thats true. One of my good friends is a cop and only has an associates degree. He applied for the seargents exam however he has to go back to school for more credits and thats what he hates, now he is contemptlating on leaving the NYPD because he has to go back to school to earn a 4 year degree for advancement. 60 credits only gets you in the door as a cop but it wont gurantee you no advancement. Probably with 60 credits a cop can become a detective of some sort.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:49 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,550,014 times
What was your test score ranking? I though they tell you where you ranked in test score?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,688,957 times
Are there any other police agencies in NYC metro that are actually hiring besides the NYPD?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Why am I bitter? It is just a question...he has the minimum 60 credits (AA degree) required, and no other relevant work experience..so he is really "fresh meat." I have no comment other than wanting to know as I suspected that the candidates going into the NYPD meet the absolute minimum requirements, and not much more. Logically, nobody would think someone who spend $40K per year, for 4 years, at Princeton or Swarthmore, or someone in a high-income profession or education intensive (MBA or PHD) profession is trying to get into the NYPD...so his credentials make sense. An AA from Brooklyn Community college sounds about right.
30% of recent academy classes have Bachelor's and a few have Master's. NYPD is not as stupid as you think. Even though you can be a cop with 60 credits, as far as I know to really advance, you need a Bachelor's.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:07 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,550,014 times
It has nothing to do with being stupid. In fact I think the NYPD decades ago was made up of nothing but goons and jarheads....which makes this NYPD looks like scientists. That being said, the 60 credit minimum (often from a lousy city community college) is nothing more than a lousy HS diploma....these community colleges spend all their time trying to teach what should have been learned in HS, and pass kids anyway just like HS.

I don't doubt a few have masters, some might even have Law degrees too..but they are clearly the great exception. And having a bachelor's degree isn't much of anything these days, as so many schools are in it for the money, they take anyone, pass everyone, and don't teach anything. I am more interested in where someone went to college rather than if they went to college.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times
If the police force required you to have a f'n masters from a top ten school, and they pay what they pay; we wouldn't have a police force.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
If the police force required you to have a f'n masters from a top ten school, and they pay what they pay; we wouldn't have a police force.
Exactly. Your standards are way too high, sobro. It's a police dept, not a Fortune 500 company or a medical research facility. You don't need to be necessarily that educated to be a good cop. College education matters, but I would place more value on just overall how clever, good at reading people and street smart a person is, and college doesn't give you that. Educated does not mean clever. Education helps a person raise his own ceiling, improve certain skills and makes one think outside the box, but it doesn't put new brains into his body. Additionally, a lot of cops get Bachelor's and Master's later in their career, since you don't need it at the beginning, but later you do plus the dept helps you pay for it.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 02-17-2012 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM

362 posts, read 697,640 times
Default I'm not a hater of the NYPD but let's speak real for a minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It has nothing to do with being stupid. In fact I think the NYPD decades ago was made up of nothing but goons and jarheads....which makes this NYPD looks like scientists. That being said, the 60 credit minimum (often from a lousy city community college) is nothing more than a lousy HS diploma....these community colleges spend all their time trying to teach what should have been learned in HS, and pass kids anyway just like HS.
I have to agreee with some of what your saying. I'm not knocking community college, but at one time when a HS diploma wasn't enough to find a good job, that is now the same for an associates degree.

Now, as far as the college requirement for the NYPD, I don't think it is necessary in being a cop. I think the educational requirement actually knocks out a lot of candidates that have the street smarts to perform in being a great cop than an educated person in being an ok cop. When the late James Fyfe was the Deputy Commissioner of Training for the NYPD, he believed that the police officer with 60 credits would be more articulate in communicating with the public and that civilian complaints would decrease. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe that theory now. I have been stopped by officers who do not talk to you, they talk down to you. I believe that some of these "kids" who are just above 21 and still live at home with mommy and daddy have no clue on how to talk to people. Let's use the example of a family experiencing a domestic dispute. Many of these cops have no idea in how to deal with a man who has just laid his hands on his wife. Some do not know that machismo is a heavy thing in some families for example. Their answer is to pull out their baton or gun first instead of talking to defuse a confrontation.

I'm not knocking the cop with 60 credits. I think that there are some that are just as street smart as the one without the educational requirement. I will say that Mr. Fyfe's theory on officers with a higher education will result in lower civilian complaints was dead wrong. Look up the complaints registered with the Civilian Complaint Review Board before 1997 and after that year to see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City