U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,423,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's gone, and it ain't coming back. Do NYers want to live in a museum like Europeans, or do they want to be able to knock stuff down and build new stuff from time to time?
It's a balance. You knock down too much of the old architecture down and you often end up destroying the very reasons everyone enjoys certain areas. For the most part, people don't go to the West Village or Park Slope to admire 50 story condo buildings and eat at Subway.

The old Penn Station was revered throughout the world and if it still existed today I can guarantee you it would be at the center of a beautiful part of the city and would be a huge tourist destination. Granted, it may not have been feasible to keep it open as a train station but it could have been re-purposed in a variety of ways.

Development is necessary to keep the city moving, but it should be done in an intelligent way that is not short sighted.

I'm amazed at how cheaply made most of the new buildings are that are going up. All the money goes into the finishes of those pricey condos to convince people its a quality structure--but I guarantee you that in 20 years those places will be falling apart.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM

20,154 posts, read 26,444,908 times
If the Louvre and Versailles were in the United Ststes they'd have been razed to make way for "luxury" highrises, complete with drywall and popcorn ceilings.

Thank God for the figurehead work and the connections of Jackie Kennedy or Grand Central Station would have fallen to the wrecking ball.

Developers in The United States believe that anything that is 50 years old needs to be demolished and rebuilt BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THEY MAKE THEIR MILLIONS.

(Thank Heavans the Sphinx isn't in Soho.)

When I har some bimbo on TV say something stupid like "oh that's SO 1980's" I want to smack her upside the head.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,423,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If the Louvre and Versailles were in the United Ststes they'd have been razed to make way for "luxury" highrises, complete with drywall and popcorn ceilings.

Thank God for the figurehead work and the connections of Jackie Kennedy or Grand Central Station would have fallen to the wrecking ball.

Developers in The United States believe that anything that is 50 years old needs to be demolished and rebuilt BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THEY MAKE THEIR MILLIONS.

(Thank Heavans the Sphinx isn't in Soho.)

When I har some bimbo on TV say something stupid like "oh that's SO 1980's" I want to smack her upside the head.
Very true, it seems modern buildings and the rooms in them have become almost disposable. Again, some of the highest priced new condos in the city are actually some of the most cheaply made structures -- but just put some granite counter tops in the kitchen and everyone raves.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,636,067 times
At least we still have Grand Central , Newark Penn and Hoboken in there original states , most of them just refurbished...

Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM

9,321 posts, read 13,860,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
All the money goes into the finishes of those pricey condos to convince people its a quality structure--but I guarantee you that in 20 years those places will be falling apart.
At which point they can be knocked down. Build something of actual quality and someone will label it "historic" and you'll be stuck with it forever.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM

15,233 posts, read 23,770,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Very true, it seems modern buildings and the rooms in them have become almost disposable. Again, some of the highest priced new condos in the city are actually some of the most cheaply made structures -- but just put some granite counter tops in the kitchen and everyone raves.
Can you even imagine???? so true.

I just saw a special on the building of the old Penn Station, it was grand.

It is a shame it was torn down, with no respect for someones else's creation. Torn down like it was tinker toys.........

Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,727,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
There are many European cities that were destroyed and had to be rebuilt, so I assure you that they too have adapted to new structures.
That's true as far as it goes. But let's be honest--a city being destroyed in wartime isn't the same thing as a magnificent building being torn down in the name of "new."

Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 AM

20,154 posts, read 26,444,908 times
And: "OHHH, I LOVE exposed brick" should translate into "Workmansip is so shoddy today that nobody knows how to plaster."

Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,727,451 times
Here's why the actual plan as discussed in the Times is ridiculous--and it's not because moving Madison Square Garden is a flat-out mockery of the 1963 destruction of Penn Station:

It's because there's not much secret about what would happen if anyone seriously proposed to move Madison Square Garden. The city would be held hostage to demands that it pay for the move. This is not an expense anyone around here needs.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 AM

3,066 posts, read 6,139,330 times
Heres a previous thread from some time back, with some arguments that I made.......

I demand that old penn station be rebuilt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City