Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 AM

50 posts, read 135,923 times

Advertisements

Hello,

so I've been looking up and down Staten Island, and now it could be between these two homes:

106 Delmore St.

and

43 Quinlan Ave.

We have a 2 year old baby and we both work downtown Manhattan.

Which one would you pick? How safe are these areas?

As usual, thank you for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
That's basically the same area and its a great neighborhood. The choice between those two homes could come down to personal preferences.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That's basically the same area and its a great neighborhood. The choice between those two homes could come down to personal preferences.
Well, Quinlan goes to PS 29 and Delmore to PS 30.

How bad are the little petty crimes on Victory Blvd? I keep reading about clerks in delis being attacked?

How is the X12 Express Bus? And it looks like there are a lot more local buses to the Ferry closer to Quinlan.

I know, it's little details but an easier commute is always better.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa19 View Post
Which one would you pick? How safe are these areas?
* Both are along the X12 to Lower Manhattan. It's a reasonably frequent/reliable express bus, but it only runs during rush hour (but it's more of an expanded version of rush hour. For instance, the last bus leaves Worth Street at 8:30PM, whereas for most rush hour routes it's around 6:30PM)

* Delmore Street is in a more prestigious location (Westerleigh vs. Castleton Corners).

* Quinlan Avenue would be closer to the X10/X11 as another option to reach Lower Manhattan (and outside of rush hour, the only express bus that runs is the X10)

* Quinlan Avenue is closer to shopping along Victory Blvd.

* For safety, it's pretty much a non-issue. If you have to pick one, I guess Delmore Street is safer because it's further from Victory Blvd, but in either case, your chances of being a victim of a crime are slim to none.

So it pretty much comes down to what you consider more important. As for the schools, I think both schools are fine. You said you'll likely be moving before middle school anyway, but Quinlan Avenue is zoned for the better middle school (I.S.72 vs. I.S.51)

Old 02-12-2012, 03:24 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quinalan looks like a bigger home on a biger lot, a plus.

However the mature landscaping of Delmore is prettier.

Quinlan looks like wood/vinyl. Delmore looks like brick...always my first choice. (But a peek on a Google map might be deceiving.)

Both look like nice homes, a bit of suburbia in the City.

Can one dare ask the price range of these homes? What kind of taxes they pay? Are they at all close to the train?

Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Quinalan looks like a bigger home on a biger lot, a plus.

However the mature landscaping of Delmore is prettier.

Quinlan looks like wood/vinyl. Delmore looks like brick...always my first choice. (But a peek on a Google map might be deceiving.)

Both look like nice homes, a bit of suburbia in the City.

Can one dare ask the price range of these homes? What kind of taxes they pay? Are they at all close to the train?
Kefir, both houses are in the $430K range, but both overpriced in my opinion.

Taxes are about $3.5K or so.

We made an offer on Delmore, but they didn't go for it. On to the next one.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 PM

So now we're looking at something smaller, but prettier overall. How is the area between Drake Ave and Slosson Ave?

What are all of those trucks on Slosson by Martling Ave? What kind of company is that?

How is it living so close to Clove Park on that side? Is it safe?

And what's the place with the Army Tanks?!?!? lol kind of intimidating...

Thanks,
Elisa

Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisa19 View Post
So now we're looking at something smaller, but prettier overall. How is the area between Drake Ave and Slosson Ave?

What are all of those trucks on Slosson by Martling Ave? What kind of company is that?

How is it living so close to Clove Park on that side? Is it safe?

And what's the place with the Army Tanks?!?!? lol kind of intimidating...

Thanks,
Elisa
Drake and Slosson intersect, so I assume you mean "by Drake Avenue and Slosson Avenue".

Yeah, Clove Lake Park is fine. It's Silver Lake Park that has the "good" and "bad" sides of the park (as you can see by my map, it's only the northeast corner of Silver Lake Park where you would have any problems. Maybe I should color that area yellow (between Forest and Castleton). In any case, you have nothing to worry about in the area you're in.

I'm not sure what those trucks are for. Maybe it's for the zoo, which is further down.

And that place with the army tanks is the Armory. I'm not sure if it's an active millitary base like Fort Wadsworth. Don't worry. I don't think you'll have to worry about those tanks going off.

And just so you know, the express bus that serves that area is the X14 bus on Martling Avenue. It runs rush hours only. You also have the X12, which stops a little less than 10 minutes away (on foot) by Victory Blvd/Slosson Avenue, and the X10/X11 stop down by the SIE, which is about 10-15 minutes away on foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: