U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,423,663 times

Advertisements

I'd go with my gut on something like this. If the behavior of the staff and customers seems off, I'd stay away. I'd also be suspicious if there were lots of male and few female customers.

I also agree with the suggestion that you check credentials and read reviews to help screen out shady operations.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,192,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
So occasionally I go to one of the numerous massage places by my job which seem to be on the up and up.

This week I decided to go to one by my house. What transpired I can only count as being something close to sexual harassment. They pulled my pants and underwear down below my behind, and started massaging me all over.

While this was going on, I heard a stream of guys coming in all asking for an hour massage. I wondered if it was not just mere coincidence that they all asked for the same amount of time. They were taken far into a back room and down some stairs from what I could tell by the sounds.

While yes I know some massage parlors exist still that have seedy things going on, I couldn't help but wonder if the one by my house was one of them. I never felt weird at the places by my job, but here it was a completely different atmosphere.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or am I possibly paranoid? My BF has said every time he passes the place it seems seedy to him.

So I take it you're a female? What gender was the masseuse?

I've seen some movies that start like this...

Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,672,773 times
Quote:
So occasionally I go to one of the numerous massage places by my job which seem to be on the up and up.

This week I decided to go to one by my house. What transpired I can only count as being something close to sexual harassment. They pulled my pants and underwear down below my behind, and started massaging me all over.

While this was going on, I heard a stream of guys coming in all asking for an hour massage. I wondered if it was not just mere coincidence that they all asked for the same amount of time. They were taken far into a back room and down some stairs from what I could tell by the sounds.

While yes I know some massage parlors exist still that have seedy things going on, I couldn't help but wonder if the one by my house was one of them. I never felt weird at the places by my job, but here it was a completely different atmosphere.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or am I possibly paranoid? My BF has said every time he passes the place it seems seedy to him.
I hear you. I had a favorite spot near my office - yes, a legit Tui Na Chinese massage on Grand St -which a friend found out about from one of her church friends. I loved paying for only what I needed: a great massage. I didn't need to book in advance. And I certainly don't need waterfalls or fluffy robes or $100 Jo Malone scented candles to add to the bill.

I'm no longer close to Chinatown and tried a place on the UWS. It had good reviews on Yelp, but the "therapist" was still very aggressive with my glutes. She roughly pushed down my underwear and I was very uncomfortable. Suddenly, every grunt and groan from the customers around me (male and female) sounded incredibly suspicious.

Since then, I've stuck with fancier places, but I still miss the place on Grand.

I posted here asking for suggestions

Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 AM

295 posts, read 470,674 times
you may want to consider spa's to be safe so you do not get RUBBED the wrong way . also use yelp for others opinions

Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 AM

339 posts, read 556,095 times
I go to places like this--there are several in Hell's Kitchen and many more further downtown. Little Asian hole-in-the-wall places with an accupressure chart in the foyer. They always have the price breakdown with weird times, like 31 minutes or 46 minutes. I've been going to these places forever--they're great for a quick, no-frills massage, just pay the bill and add a tip. But every now and then some loser dude thinks there's something more to the deal and I've heard some hilarious soundtracks. I remember one guy kept "moaning" really obviously, as though he were trying to cue the masseuse, like "okay, I get it, it's like that--do your thing, give me a happy ending." It was completely obnoxious, every one in the building could hear him. Finally I could hear her saying "you okay?" I hurt you?" CLEARLY this wasn't anything like that! He had to assure her "no, I'm fine." BUSTED! This has happened more than once.

That said every time time I've gone to a place like this, I knew the deal--ANY massage place, less expensive or luxury, will expect you to bare your behind. They usually massage your butt--it's a major muscle.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 AM

295 posts, read 470,674 times
no happy endings for you

Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 AM

4,480 posts, read 8,315,500 times
Quote:

Why did you have pants on during a massage?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,189,733 times
Quote:
They pulled my pants and underwear down below my behind, and started massaging me all over.
How many?

I don't know anything about massage never been to those kind of places.
One of my ex-girlfriends suffered from tension neck probably from sitting at the computer all day long and one day she came home from her weekly friday afternoon massage session in an almost catatonic state. I tried to ask her what happened and where was this place but she just looked at me with a dead look in her eyes. After that she started to treat her tension neck with Valium and Gin Tonic and we started to drift apart.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,248,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Come to Main St (last stop on the 7) it wont seem to weird after that.

MASSAGGEEEEE!

LOL...yep, I used to pass them all the time and the countless raids!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,248,493 times
Quote:

This week I decided to go to one by my house. What transpired I can only count as being something close to sexual harassment. They pulled my pants and underwear down below my behind, and started massaging me all over. I think they just get to the point of massaging because they want to get you done within that hour and bring in the next customer. No small talk. No chit chat. If you say you have lower back problems, they'll go for the glute. My massage therapist used to dig into my "cheeks".

While this was going on, I heard a stream of guys coming in all asking for an hour massage. I wondered if it was not just mere coincidence that they all asked for the same amount of time. They were taken far into a back room and down some stairs from what I could tell by the sounds. That could go either way, though I don't know any guys that need an hour just for a happy ending

While yes I know some massage parlors exist still that have seedy things going on, I couldn't help but wonder if the one by my house was one of them. I never felt weird at the places by my job, but here it was a completely different atmosphere. Some of these places do a lot of spa treatments that would require a person to not be inhibited. They do the full body Brazilian waxes so maybe for the employees there, it's not a big deal to just get to the point. They're not into the relaxation or serene.

Go with your gut. If it seems seedy, most likely it is. I always ask hubby how he knows if it's a legit massage or "one of those" parlors. He said he just knows and can tell when he walks in. Guys intuition I guess And no, he's never had the happy ending. He said he doesn't need to pay for it when he can do it himself LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City