Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've noticed a lot of my friends who are immigrants to NYC from third world countries are very distrustful of the water from the faucet. On the other hand, my friends from places like Germany, the UK and Norway wouldn't think twice about drinking tap water.

I think NYC water has a good "taste", its great for making coffeee and pizza.

And bagels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I've noticed that depending on where I am in Queens, the water is either good or terrible. My parents have Jamaica Bay water. That water was always better tasting. They also have a filter that filters the water before it comes out of the faucet. It's only for cold water. I can't drink enough when I'm there. The filter they have is a little pricey and needs to be changed either one or twice a year. When I lived in Flushing, the water was horrible. We lived in an apartment building and sometimes the water would come out almost like a light rust color. My brother lives in Flushing and before he installed the water filter, he would fill up jugs of water from my parents' house. I live on LI now and the water is horrible. I had company over and had poured bottled water into pitchers. I made the mistake of making ice from the tap water and put it in the pitchers. I had to dump it. It ruined the taste of the water.

Do you REALLY mean your parents' drinking water came from Jamaica Bay? Isn't that a mix of tidal salt water and sewage? I thought ALL New York City drinking water came from the upstate resevoirs and Delaware River Water system. Yeccch!

Quote:
Jamaica Bay is a saline to brackish, eutrophic (nutrient-rich) estuary covering about 25,000 acres (100 km2), with a mean depth of 13 feet (4.0 m), a semidiurnal tidal range averaging 4.9 ft (1.5 m), and a residence time of about three weeks. The bay communicates with Lower New York Bay and the Atlantic Ocean via Rockaway Inlet, a high current area that is 0.6 mi (0.97 km) wide at its narrowest point, with an average depth of 23 ft (7.0 m). Measurements taken during recent surveys in Jamaica Bay indicate average yearly ranges for temperature of 34 to 79 °F (1 to 26 °C), salinity of 20.5 to 26 parts per thousand, dissolved oxygen of 3.5 to 18.5 milligrams/liter, and pH of 6.8 to 9. Loadings of nutrients and organic matter into the bay from sewage treatment plants and runoff result in phytoplankton blooms and high suspended-solid concentrations which, in turn, result in turbid water and low bottom dissolved oxygen concentrations.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Do you REALLY mean your parent's drining water came from Jamaica Bay? Isn;t that a mix of salt water and sewage?
Hey, if that's what makes the water tasty, then so be it lol. We were always told that their area's water supply is Jamaica Bay.

And I don't use Wikipedia for gathering info. Any website that allows anyone to edit the information on a page just doesn't seem trustworthy to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Do you REALLY mean your parents' drinking water came from Jamaica Bay? Isn't that a mix of tidal salt water and sewage? I thought ALL New York City drinking water came from the upstate resevoirs and Delaware River Water system. Yeccch!
You are correct in that all the drinking water is coming from the upstate resevoir system.

New York City's Water Supply System

Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You are correct in that all the drinking water is coming from the upstate resevoir system.

New York City's Water Supply System
This is great news for my uncle who often blames the tap water for his stomach pains...there's something wrong with the water today taste it! Bla, bla, bla.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've noticed a lot of my friends who are immigrants to NYC from third world countries are very distrustful of the water from the faucet. On the other hand, my friends from places like Germany, the UK and Norway wouldn't think twice about drinking tap water.

I think NYC water has a good "taste", its great for making coffeee and pizza.
Not to mention NY bagels.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Filter should remove any rust... but those filters can grow stuff in them. So it's probably the filter.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
I've noticed that depending on where I am in Queens, the water is either good or terrible. My parents have Jamaica Bay water.
So, your parents drink SEA WATER??

This thread is giving me that one flew over the coo coo's nest feeling.

My apt water comes thru PCV piping, no rust. So far never had an instance of brown water, but so far the city has not had an occaison to work on the water pipes in my area. I suspect they are relatively new.

In my old building with old pipes, had instances of brown water whenever the water was turned off due to work in the building or the city working on the street pipes. The brown water occurred as the result of standing water in the pipes picking up sediment as water began to flow once the work was completed.

The duration of the brown water was directly commensurate to the duration of the work and the time the water stood still.

The consistent work required in the old building and immediate area, was one of the reasons we moved.

Then and now, I drink bottled water, as I find the water in Astoria to have a different taste than the good old Brooklyn water I grew up with. Gotta be an issue with the older water pipes in Astoria. Perhaps the path the water travels from the reservoir to Astoria. Perhaps the specific reservoir which serves Astoria.

I imagine that water to my old area of Brooklyn takes a different path and/or comes from a different reservoir, which may account for the different taste.

In any event, I drink primarily bottled water, but GF chooses to drink filtered tap water. We plan on subscribing to a water service, we just need to make space for the water cooler.

Growing up in one of the younger Brooklyn brownstone neighborhoods, we only experienced brown water on the rare occaison the city was working on the street pipes. Similarly, when we moved further near Brooklyn College. This is a normal NYC occurrence.

OP, in your circumstance, if what you have described in this thread and others is real, I would drink only boiled water, not bath in the water, and I would move, as soon as possible.

Btw, have you discussed the issue with your neigneighbors? Have they similar experiences? What do they do?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
And I don't use Wikipedia for gathering info. Any website that allows anyone to edit the information on a page just doesn't seem trustworthy to me.
You should learn more about the process, and the Internet experience.

Imagine hundreds of thousands, millions of eyeballs. Post something incorrect or stupid and you'll have thousand of people pouncing on you.

Or, think of Wikipedia this way, the content is edited by thousands of editors on a daily basis. There is no other reference source which has such scrutiny!

For example, your comment that your parents drink water from Jamaica Bay is being filtered and scrutinized by each and every reader of this thread and your post, thus far 169 eyeballs, and your comment is being questioned.

As a result, you admit you have no FACTUAL source for your statement, that you have simply repeated heresay, neighborhood gossip. Consequently, you have no idea where your parents water comes from.

Factually, sea water is not drinkable, in order to be made drinkable, sea water must be put through a desalination process. NYC has no such plant. On the east coast, I believe the only such desalination plant is found in Tampa/St. Pete, FL.

Consequently, your parents do not drink sea water. All NYC water comes from the reservoir system up state NY.

If your parents live on LI, perhaps someone can advise where the varying municipalities obtain their water. I also imagine some LIers drink water from individual wells.

If this were Wikipedia, your statement that your parents drink water from Jamaica Bay would be removed, and you w/n be allowed to repost w/o factual proof.

So, you see Wikipedia is generally a good factual source. To think otherwise w/o factual examination and knowledge is naive.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
This is great news for my uncle who often blames the tap water for his stomach pains...there's something wrong with the water today taste it! Bla, bla, bla.
The water coming from the reservoir system is indeed clean and pure, except for the added Flourid to prevent tooth decay.

Yet, once it hits the local pipes and/or your home's piping system, all bets are off.

The best thing w/b to simply have the water from your faucet tested.nnot so much of a big deal, just have to find a lab, maybe the city will do it.

Btw, for the thread's info, have any of you noticed the water testing stations found about the city? They are cast iron silver boxes sitting atop black poles, and are about 5 feet high. There is lettering on the front stating its purpose.

Some of you might not be aware, the city uses these stations to sample and regularly test the local water about the city.

Jfyi.

NYC has the best water system in the country and the world. Every year some organization tests and compares the water from around the country. NYC is CONSTANTLY ranked with the best water in all categories. The water system is the reason NYC conglomerated and exists in its present form. Brooklyn, running out of water souces to fuel its growth, joined with NYC specifically for the water system.

I would hesitate to drink Jersey City and some of the other near NJ towns' water. Several over the years have been found to be contaminated from time to time.

So, KK, perhaps it was bacteria which made that Newport water so tasty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City